Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

The issue of race in the City of Brotherly Love has come to the forefront after a recent Philadelphia Magazine cover story called “Being White in Philly.”

The article, written by Bob Huber, a white man, describes the experiences of white people who live in racially mixed neighborhoods in Philadelphia. The story garnered plenty of attention since it appeared at the beginning of March especially since Mayor Michael Nutter got a hold of it.

On Friday, Nutter sent a letter to the city’s Commission on Human Relations in response to the article. In his letter, Nutter claimed the article had a “disgusting tone” and criticized its “collection of disparaging beliefs and negative stereotypes.” He also claimed the story “used isolated negative experiences” and made “generalizations” to portray African Americans as lazy, irresponsible and criminal. Nutter requested that the city’s Commission on Human Relations conduct an “inquiry” into the state of racial issues in Philadelphia.

Rue Landau, the Executive Director on Human Relations, agreed, claiming that the article perpetuated “harmful stereotypes.” He also stated the Commission is currently looking at “relations in the city.”

Huber defended his article in an email, claiming his goal when writing the piece was to simply address the city’s problems in race relations and to “push for a better dialogue.” While he agreed with the Mayor’s decision to ask for an inquiry on the city’s racial issues, he also called Nutter’s description of the article “off the mark to the point of absurdity.”

Tom McGrath, the editor of Philadelphia Magazine, also called Nutter’s statements “sophomoric,” according to Philly.com. McGrath accused Nutter of being “more interested in scoring political points than having a serious conversation about race.”

On Monday, McGrath hosted a panel discussion on the article and the issues it has raised at the National Constitution Center. More than 250 people showed up for the event titled "Can We Talk About Race?"

"We have never been able to resolve the issue of race in our society," said Walter Palmer, one of the panelists.

After the panel, McGrath admitted that the article had flaws.

"I think the flaws in this piece were exacerbated by mistakes in terms of the topic," he said. "The one thing I think we might have done a bit differently is how we framed it."

The Human Resources Commission also voted to have a public meeting on the article on April 18 in Fairmount-Brewerytown.

The reaction to the article from Philadelphia residents has been mixed.

“I thought the magazine was inappropriate to put outside,” said Yvette Rocco who works at a local newsstand. “I didn’t like what the cover said.”

"I thought it was an older white male who visited a particular neighborhood and wrote about his experience," said Christopher Norris, a journalist. "I think he has the right to do so."

“The more dialogue we have on race and race issues, the more understanding we have of where other people are coming from,” said James Brunson.

Chad Lassiter, a sociologist who teaches at the University of Pennsylvania and West Chester University believes the article has provided a valuable opportunity for the city to openly discuss the issue of race.

“We need not engage in reactionary politics,” he said. “We need to call for a race dialogue in the city of (BF2s). We need to look at ourselves and how we’re not being tolerant. We need to become more tolerant and embrace difference.”
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc … 66881.html
ITT: we have a dialogue about race relations.

How should black feel about house music and other historically black genres of music? Are expensive universities only a thing for whites and Asians and not blacks? Are Jews uppity because of early poverty?

All this and more below:

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-03-21 15:01:14)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
jay knows best.

also, again, i never said blacks should "respect" house music, or respect any part of their culture. only that it was ironic to belittle it and call it "gay". they're quite different things: one is an asinine injunction to blindly obey a tradition or cultural authority (i.e. over defining yourself by race or creed), the other is merely an observation - a laugh at history.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-21 13:02:00)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

The black community has serious issues with homophobia. I have heard some theories regarding why. I think they are interesting. Would you like to know more?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
please, tell me more.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

One theory I have heard was that slavery and segregation emasculated black men. Because they couldn't defend their women and children they adopted a hyper masculine frame of mind. It is also used to explain some black violence and behavior.

Personally it sounds like some hippy liberal crap. I think it has to do with education. Studies has shown that as education increases so does tolerance for others including gays. I think since the black community has lower access and educational achievement it means they aren't as tolerant to gays as others.
Roc18
`
+655|5751|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
The white man will show his true colors when provoked.

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
i don't think every white man has a current of racist anger underneath his calm surface, roc. i think that's very specific to the person. i guess 'michael richards' was raised a redneck in some backwater. i hardly think some dumb hick comedian is the archetype of a race.
Roc18
`
+655|5751|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I wasn't being serious. I actually thought it was funny as hell.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
i don't know who he is so it's just a random freakout to me
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

Kramer from Seinfeld
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5925|London, England

I guess seinfeld isnt very popular in the UK
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
yeah we're just crazy on american sitcoms that get network syndicated for about 15 years and all take place in the same room

top notch m80
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America

Mutantbear wrote:

I guess seinfeld isnt very popular in the UK
It's 20 years old. I don't think anyone would say it's very popular here anymore either, but they still show it on some channels like they do with Friends and Golden Girls and the Fresh Prince. However, at the time it was quite groundbreaking as far as sitcoms go.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
> groundbreaking
> sitcoms

sitcoms are the complete low-end of entertainment. sitcoms reminds me of the worst parts of the american stereotype of sitting around watching tv and eating cheese-puffs. canned laughter and people suckered to a tube. 99% of sitcoms suck imo.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
I had you in mind when I qualified that statement. You probably wouldn't enjoy Seinfeld if you started watching now, and I agree with you that easily 99% of them are horrible, but the show did push boundaries and produce novel content in that small segment of entertainment. Shows like Big Bang Theory cause me physical pain if I have to watch them, because they're simply horrible attempts at comedy.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

macbeth you have a limited time to make this into something more than a troll/bait thread.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

Fucking mods.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

Macbeth wrote:

Fucking mods.
Scum of the earth, that lot
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

Time to retrack this thread:

I don't like Saint Patrick's day. A lot of white people in this country love bitch about Cinco De Mayo and a bunch of other heritage celebrations and observances but are totally cool with St. Patrick's. Well, fuck St. Patrick's. You aren't even Irish.

Also, black history month isn't the only race history month. March is women's history month, and Irish history month. May is Asian and Pacific history month. And September is Hispanic history month. Why are black people getting singled out?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6697|Oxferd Ohire
no one cares about the other months.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5659
There are inevitable cycles of social history: the yellow race’s domination of the world, when it came from Asia, and the white race’s attempts at colonizing extensive areas of all continents of the world. Now, it is the turn of the black race to prevail in the world.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4215
hang on a sec: the yellow race's domination of the world? wat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5659
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2HLM4t_OJCs/TrptIkf4LvI/AAAAAAAADiI/qgs3qJaaeFU/s1600/the+geen+book+moammar+al+gaddafi.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6676

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

hang on a sec: the yellow race's domination of the world? wat
Asians will be too busy driving their ferrari's and overtaking posh uni's.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6676

Macbeth wrote:

Time to retrack this thread:

I don't like Saint Patrick's day. A lot of white people in this country love bitch about Cinco De Mayo and a bunch of other heritage celebrations and observances but are totally cool with St. Patrick's. Well, fuck St. Patrick's. You aren't even Irish.

Also, black history month isn't the only race history month. March is women's history month, and Irish history month. May is Asian and Pacific history month. And September is Hispanic history month. Why are black people getting singled out?
Cinco de Mayo isn't really a Mexican celebration in the first place. It's pretty much the Mexican version of St. Patrick's day.

1/16th irish dude only remembers his irish great great grandma so he can get shit faced.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard