KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Its funny that you think being pro-palestine is a fad. Like seriously, its funny to me. I guess all the discussions about palestine have been taking place for the last  7 years on this forum were sparked by marty mcfly. I guess the poli sci books I was forced to read in college 12 years ago were just ahead of their time. I guess when I saw edward said discuss huntington's idea of the clash of civilizations 13 years ago I was preparing myself for this fad. If I could have only capitalized on this!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Huntington sucked
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
You hail from the land of fruits and nuts
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5997|Vortex Ring State

Macbeth wrote:

Everyone has forgotten about Tibet.
really? I still see them in the news occasionally.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697

Macbeth wrote:

Huntington sucked
Did you watch the lecture? It is really good.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-02-06 14:47:49)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Jay wrote:

You hail from the land of fruits and nuts
NYC?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
Mad fruits and nuts in NYC
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Its funny that you think being pro-palestine is a fad. Like seriously, its funny to me. I guess all the discussions about palestine have been taking place for the last  7 years on this forum were sparked by marty mcfly. I guess the poli sci books I was forced to read in college 12 years ago were just ahead of their time. I guess when I saw edward said discuss huntington's idea of the clash of civilizations 13 years ago I was preparing myself for this fad. If I could have only capitalized on this!
postcolonialism has been the new critical fad in humanities/academia ever since feminism burnt out and post-structuralism got too difficult for anyone else to follow. it's a fad, man. stop being a hipster. said? please. are you wearing a beret?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto
Uzique, not that I at all care, but given that the conflict is even more complex now than it was prior as people know, care, and get more information on what is happening (adding the public perception to the mix in a much bigger way), how is your argument supported?

Shouldn't things becoming more complex decrease interest?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Fifteen years ago you would've never heard any pro-Palestine thinking being touted around here. You were much more likely to hear Palestinians referred to as the dogs of the Arab world that no one gave a fuck about. Muslims in general were mistrusted, although there was a lot of sympathy for what was going on in Bosnia. After 9/11? Forget about it. Pure hate for a long time by a lot of people. Now the only people who seem to be pro-Palestine are the types of people who pick up and hold onto ideas simply for shock value, or because it makes them more interesting. To them, ideas like those are akin to dying their hair pink or getting their pussy pierced. So, you'll have to excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for pro-Palestine ideas. The people making those arguments are not the types you want to have an intellectual conversation with, at least around here.

Like I said, New York has the most Jews outside of Israel. I'm a product of my environment.
Well there you go, no doubt if you grew up amongst racist rednecks in Alabama, instead of racist jews in New York, you'd be saying black rights are a passing fad and it'll be back to the good old days of white supremacy once the hipsters pick a new ishoo to fret over, it being a self-evident truth that blacks are worthless dogs and its not worth speaking to anyone who says different.

To anyone outside 'murica its entirely mystifying that a self-serving racist-supremacist medieval cult can have a country - which ostensibly owes allegiance to a different medieval cult - so thoroughly by the balls that the elected leaders must routinely jump through hoops sideways in public to prove they've thoroughly mastered the cognitive dissonance required to defend freedom' and 'support our ally Israel one hunnerd percent' simultaneously.

If America ever figures out whats happened there'll be another Holocaust.
Why do you care so much about Palestinian rights? Are you Arab? It's extremely easy to turn it around on you and call you an anti-semite based on you taking your position without any ties to the region, especially with the way that the British foreign office has discriminated against Jews in the past... Could that have been passed down from father to son?

Last edited by Jay (2013-02-07 06:38:00)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697
Yeah Dilbert, stop being so silly and caring about petty issues like human rights. You're not arab, black, hispanic, a woman or a child so why do you need to pander to those people and their trifling desire to be treated fairly? Who gives a shit about the rights of anyone else but moi?

Oh right, insecure-conflicted people with an identity crisis who feel the need to impress everyone around them. Even if they do more to damage themselves during the process of trying to prove to everyone that they're stances are absolutely correct. Let's not name any names though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
You've become a serious douchebag since you started college. Congrats I guess.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Yeah Dilbert, stop being so silly and caring about petty issues like human rights.
Yeah not like muslim states treat their own citizens any better than how israeli's treat palestinians.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Yeah Dilbert, stop being so silly and caring about petty issues like human rights. You're not arab, black, hispanic, a woman or a child so why do you need to pander to those people and their trifling desire to be treated fairly? Who gives a shit about the rights of anyone else but moi?

Oh right, insecure-conflicted people with an identity crisis who feel the need to impress everyone around them. Even if they do more to damage themselves during the process of trying to prove to everyone that they're stances are absolutely correct. Let's not name any names though.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-U2kx9Gfisq4/Tf96N17xrNI/AAAAAAAADys/imDlh0yknqY/s1600/Straw-man3.jpg
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13/f/taiwan wrote:

NEWS FLASH: Your culture fucking sucks. It essentially has no redeeming qualities. It makes religious Christian zealots like shifty look like open-minded pacifists by comparison. You want to talk about human rights, let's talk about the burqa. Let's talk about launching suicide bombing missions on innocent people. Let's talk about the concept of forty virgins. Let's talk about the first world money, and the third world living conditions in Arab countries.

You have a whole lot to be proud of But yes, continue deflecting your own cultures problems and blaming the Jews. So how about you stop trying to be the defender of the faith here in America and accept that your parents left home for a very good fucking reason.

Last edited by Jay (2013-02-07 09:12:02)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney

Spark wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Those flowers look a bit like statice. I used to grow them when I was 12.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique, not that I at all care, but given that the conflict is even more complex now than it was prior as people know, care, and get more information on what is happening (adding the public perception to the mix in a much bigger way), how is your argument supported?

Shouldn't things becoming more complex decrease interest?
my post was completely facetious, and your post made no grammatical sense. i am disappointed in you on multiple levels.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Cybargs wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Yeah Dilbert, stop being so silly and caring about petty issues like human rights.
Yeah not like muslim states treat their own citizens any better than how israeli's treat palestinians.
having your own free-state and territory is a good start to begin laying down advanced superstructures of human rights though, no?

i mean it's hard to make social progress or moves towards any sort of liberal or progressive ideal when you're being dispossessed of your land.

another quality post from the tourism undergrad, though. a really considered approach.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

NEWS FLASH: Your culture fucking sucks. It essentially has no redeeming qualities. It makes religious Christian zealots like shifty look like open-minded pacifists by comparison. You want to talk about human rights, let's talk about the burqa. Let's talk about launching suicide bombing missions on innocent people. Let's talk about the concept of forty virgins. Let's talk about the first world money, and the third world living conditions in Arab countries.

You have a whole lot to be proud of But yes, continue deflecting your own cultures problems and blaming the Jews. So how about you stop trying to be the defender of the faith here in America and accept that your parents left home for a very good fucking reason.
there's nothing wrong with the burqa if it's within a willing and tolerant society. many modern islamic states do not enforce the burqa and enjoy casual dress. many others willingly adopt the burqa as a means of traditional dress or identity. it's about as 'oppressive' as a hasidic haircurl. some people willingly adopt an identity. regardless it's not some black and white "oppression!" marker, as you make out. though saying that, americans did deploy the rhetoric of nazism when certain public authorities tried to introduce uniforms to public schools...

42 virgins? how is that a human rights issue. a collective fantasy, no more pernicious than christian's getting hard-ons over their rivals burning in hell forever.

suicide bombing missions? what is more ethical: remote drone strikes killing civilians or targets from 1,000's of miles away, or a man who commits suicide with an IED strapped to his chest? discuss, in 1500 words.

"first world money, third world living conditions"... well, isn't this partly america's fault? you're the guys that have signed the blood-pact with the saudis, propping up and supporting a pretty despotic dynasty. america's human rights record and anti-terror mission is entirely compromised by this very fact: if you gave a shit about democracy and freedom, you wouldn't rely on the saudis as one of your major financial and political allies in the region. so i have no idea why you are bringing up an 'argument' that is as much america's fault as the despots in control.

3/10. a poor example of blind prejudice and hasty rage.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Jay wrote:

Very enlightened, worldly, and humanistic. A real self thinker you are.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Very enlightened, worldly, and humanistic. A real self thinker you are.
Yet if I were to criticize white people or Christianity I would receive a gold star.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
that depends if the criticism was as poorly formulated and inane. there are criticisms to be made of islam, just as there are of any religion. the shit you spouted sounds like the dumb slipshod thought of an angry grunt on patrol in helmand.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
lol jay i don't even know where to begin with that. too much stupidity in one post.

though i like of late how you've become more transparent and conceding of your utter intellectual failure/defeat.

you don't even scrabble around desperately for some wiki-level knowledge or retort anymore. you just reply with single images or links, implicitly acknowledging your public display of dumbassery.

omg! foreign office anti-semitism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Why do you care so much about Palestinian rights? Are you Arab? It's extremely easy to turn it around on you and call you an anti-semite based on you taking your position without any ties to the region
I'm from the Seattle area. If I sided with Baltimore over San Francisco, does that mean I was being unjustly biased against California?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard