M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

I say!
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4970|Dundee, Scotland.
I can't believe it's been 2 years since John passed away.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Roc18
`
+655|5792|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sport is the secular opiate of the working class masses
I think you got picked last in gym class.
actually i played sport a lot when i was young. football, which i was pretty promising at, and got scouted for 2 teams as a forward, til about 13, when i was too lazy to get up at 8am on a sundays to go training. then i was pretty damn good at tennis - county doubles. admittedly not semi-pro or bigging up the 'star athlete' pigeonhole, but plenty above average. the difference is that i don't make sport a central part of identity, or a defining part of my life. football fans do. i don't get all angry or upset when a bunch of men kicking a ball of inflated leather around win or lose. football fans do. i don't get violent or passionate or hateful or adversarial because someone else likes a different team to me. football fans do. to these people, where sport occupies a disproportionately large part of their lives, sport is literally an opiate. it's something to distract them from the real issues/pains in their life. even if in the broadest sense that is the good 'ole 'class struggle' dime. sport is something there to keep idiots suckered into watching their tv sets, or belonging to some dumb tribal identity. i like sports, i appreciate fine athletes. but i don't make it a part of my personal identity. most football fans in this country can't honestly say that. it's a national obsession. for working class people.
You can say the same thing about any other form of entertainment. Books, music, movies etc. You think any typical person wants to mostly focus on their pains/issues? When they can focus on something positive that they share in common with other people/friends. Thats what you call an emofag.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
fucking retards
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

I think you got picked last in gym class.
actually i played sport a lot when i was young. football, which i was pretty promising at, and got scouted for 2 teams as a forward, til about 13, when i was too lazy to get up at 8am on a sundays to go training. then i was pretty damn good at tennis - county doubles. admittedly not semi-pro or bigging up the 'star athlete' pigeonhole, but plenty above average. the difference is that i don't make sport a central part of identity, or a defining part of my life. football fans do. i don't get all angry or upset when a bunch of men kicking a ball of inflated leather around win or lose. football fans do. i don't get violent or passionate or hateful or adversarial because someone else likes a different team to me. football fans do. to these people, where sport occupies a disproportionately large part of their lives, sport is literally an opiate. it's something to distract them from the real issues/pains in their life. even if in the broadest sense that is the good 'ole 'class struggle' dime. sport is something there to keep idiots suckered into watching their tv sets, or belonging to some dumb tribal identity. i like sports, i appreciate fine athletes. but i don't make it a part of my personal identity. most football fans in this country can't honestly say that. it's a national obsession. for working class people.
You can say the same thing about any other form of entertainment. Books, music, movies etc. You think any typical person wants to mostly focus on their pains/issues? When they can focus on something positive that they share in common with other people/friends. Thats what you call an emofag.
why are you so obsessed with this emofag thing? aren't you stuck in 4chan 2008 a little?

and no, books, movies etc. are not 'opiates of the masses'. books can educate you. films can enlighten you. they provoke discussion, not partisanship and pointless rivalries. nobody ever got into sectarian violence because of a disagreement over bob dylan. you are talking total shite. people over identify with sports. i'm not saying sports are bad because people spend their spare time on them. i'm saying sports are bad because people internalise them too much, take too much to heart, stake too much of their personal identity and worth on them. it's a spectacle and its a show that lures you into a sense of community/identity, whilst really its just another corporate jig, taking your money and keeping you occupied.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
aaron is right.  go lakers
Tu Stultus Es
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Shoulda gone to a basketball or baseball game when I was in the US. Next time.
Roc18
`
Yes I'm eternally stuck in 2008 4chan Uzique.

That's your opinion though, I believe sports can educate you, enlighten and provoke discussion just as well as other forms of entertainment. And that movies for example can be just as bad if over internalized/obsessed. Everything is an opiate if you classify interests/hobbies that way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Roc18 wrote:

Yes I'm eternally stuck in 2008 4chan Uzique.

That's your opinion though, I believe sports can educate you, enlighten and provoke discussion just as well as other forms of entertainment. And that movies for example can be just as bad if over internalized/obsessed. Everything is an opiate if you classify interests/hobbies that way.
https://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/raiders-fans.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
People do the same shit for comic cons and trekkie conventions though so there's that
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
no it's not. you clearly do not understand the meaning of karl marx's original phrase. sure, cheap entertainment is an opiate - and sport consumed that way falls into that category. but sport goes one further than just being 'entertainment', and becomes a sort of ideology, for some people. for some people sport is more than just another thing you have on the television to flick through. supporting a team becomes a lifestyle. in the UK, the team you support can define your social group, the pubs you drink at, your entire weekend routine, etc. it's sad and pathetic. sport-as-ideology. your team of choice as a form of personal identification/tribal belonging. that is way beyond 'entertainment'. that's more than seinfeld.

and how is sports 'educational' or 'enlightening'? provoke discussion? yeah, really meaningful discussions about sport results and matches. it's not exactly the symposium, is it? i didn't mean books and films provoke discussion in the vein of "OMG can you believe what happened to edward in twilight 4?". i mean books and films can be genuinely thought-provoking, in deep and stimulating ways. when it sport ever that? sport rarely transcends spectacle. there's not exactly much life-enlightening stuff you can get out of discussing a baseball player's season record. i just don't think you even know what you're talking about. it's like this topic is whooosh, straight over your head. you are interpreting everything wrongly, and clearly not getting the basic conceptual gist of what i'm saying, here.

anyway, sports. american football. great. go jets!

https://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/s/s/19/media19/2013/Feb/4/LiveLeak-dot-com-6ceff2ebe5b2-bowl-sniper.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1964d4cdcd5cc6e&ec_rate=200

https://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/s/s/19/media19/2013/Feb/4/LiveLeak-dot-com-76fb24f1e284-bowl-sniper_3.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1964d4cdcd5cc6e&ec_rate=200
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
There were a bunch of people posting about the Super Bowl on my Facebook yesterday. I bet most of these people never pay attention to the NFL at any other time.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
0mg hipst3rs soooo inauthentik
Roc18
`
Sports has transcended what happens on the field countless times in history. Think about sports figures like Jackie Robinson or Jesse Owens. I get your opinion but I think it's wrong.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i don't really see what sporting personalities crossing over into public figures/celebrity has to do with sports, or sports following, or team supporting. that doesn't have diddly squat to do with sports. people don't identify themselves with individual players. people don't buy team kits and go to games with their friends to follow single individuals. team sports breed a dumb tribalism. surprisingly enough there aren't many violent clashes between federer and nadal fans... it's because football, like baseball, is a working-class sport parcelled up with all sorts of ideology and identity politics. i.e. it becomes an opiate, a distraction from the real source of these people's frustration and inertia.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-05 09:47:39)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

parcelled up
thread needs more parcell

https://i.imgur.com/wgrvbuf.jpg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
dunno who that is but he looks pretty fuckin' americain
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

he was a Patriot!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
he looks like he stole his skin and teeth from a small child
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And a Giant among men.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

yeah. but not a small English child, amirite?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://theocmd.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/cusl01_hitchens0712.jpg?w=584
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
at least small english kids are made of flesh and bone and not silicone and photoshop

and yeah, hitchens, great example of english hygiene. hahaha.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-05 10:04:28)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

they do like their footy though, amirite?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard