Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

This 1961 treaty was the first Cold War era arms control treaty. It not only involved the United States and the Soviet Union but many other smaller states.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I'd say SALT or START but I don't think they were as early as '61.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

nope
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
I think it was the one to do with Antarctica. But I remember it as late 50s, not early 60s...
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Pochsy wrote:

the one to do with Antarctica.
ding ding ding

pick a topic
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
US intelligence operations for 300, Macbek.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

this will be tough one

This 1954 CIA backed coup saw the removal of a small nation's democratically elected president.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
How far is Guatemalalalala?

Now I want to read about that. I'm passing my category choice to the next person to post.

Last edited by Pochsy (2013-01-27 11:41:21)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

I thought most people would get tripped up with the dates and think Iran.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Macbeth wrote:

I thought most people would get tripped up with the dates and think Iran.
I've had a few professors now who are obsessed with covert operations and the use of the '3rd rail' since the NSA formation. Funny, nobody cares about CSIS, or even knows what it is. The running joke is that they're so good you don't even known they exist.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

pick a topic
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
Geography for 3000
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

For 3000. A hard one then?

This Turkish city is named after the Ottoman province which it was a part of. It was the site of a massacre of Christians by Turkish Muslims in 1909. It rest only a few miles away from a coast along a river. With a population of of over 1,500,000 this place is a cultural, and economic hub surrounded by extremely fertile land.

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-01-27 12:11:27)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
The only other Turkish city I can think of is Ankara.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

nope
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

i can multitask so if you want another topic while we wait for sups answer go for iy
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6709|England. Stoke
Adana?
Think that's where that massacre was.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

ding ding din pick a topic
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6709|England. Stoke
Yes!
British military history.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
mmm Adana kebab
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

This 1956 British-French-Israeli operation led to the United States intervening to stop the Suez Canal Crisis.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

British military history is hard for me. As an American I only know the big ones and am not sure how much is taught in your schools
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Macbeth wrote:

British military history is hard for me. As an American I only know the big ones and am not sure how much is taught in your schools
Never did much in the way of British military history apart from a few bits about WW1 and WW2: The Sequel and even then they really skipped out on a lot of interesting pieces. Most of what I know was picked up personally, but its still largely restricted to more recent history and the late 19th Century.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

In our schools we only tend talk about military history up to WW2. Anything thing after that is either largely ignored or sped through. Thankfully for American school teachers we had the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's otherwise it would be hard to find stuff to talk about that didn't involve napalming children in south east asia. Very little coverage is given to Vietnam.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Secondary school history as I remember consisted of learning about castles, Anglo Saxons, Normans, a tiny bit about the rise of Nazi Germany, Northern Ireland's political history and a very basic introduction to American Indian history, which was the best of the lot imo. At college the history was again largely politically restricted and rarely went into much of the major events. More extensive look into Nazi Germany, British political history and then Soviet history, which was quite good even if they stopped before WW2.

Only positive part of the British political segment was that I got this when I first saw it, rest of the time I was literally dropping off in my lessons.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard