Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20991719

France confirms Mali intervention

President Francois Hollande says French troops are taking part in operations against Islamists in northern Mali.

French troops "have brought support to the Malian army to fight against the terrorists", Mr Hollande said.

He said the intervention was in line with international law, and had been agreed with Malian President Dioncounda Traore.

Armed groups, some linked to al-Qaeda, took control of northern Mali in April after a coup in the capital, Bamako.

The militants said this week that they had advanced further into government-controlled territory.

Mr Hollande said French military action had begun on Friday afternoon and would last "as long as necessary".
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
Well, they do 'look after' their former colonies.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-01-11 10:08:36)

inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Vietnam.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Vietnam.
algeria was a pretty big fuck up too.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
to be fair to france, they provide good education and set-up up a solid (centralised) system of culture & public service progression in their former colonies. top class lycées that can get a colonial into world-class french ecoles, etc. provided the former colonized are willing to learn the official formal french language and speak the parlance, there's a lot of room for them to join the intellectual + public elites. so, yeah, france do "look after" their colonies, in a certain sense, as well as the usual cynical imputations about economic gain yada yada that comes with such a wink-wink loaded term.

i guess the intended parallelism of posting this here is to compare to the USA's policy of interventionism. i would honestly say that france is more open and more beneficial to the countries it sticks its hand in than america. you won't see many afghanis or iraqis going to great american-funded schools in their countries and then skipping into university chairs in the ivy league. you see this everywhere with francophile colonials.

oh and algeria is still treated as the biggest national disgrace in 20th century french history. it's a huge sore-point, and de gaulle's biggest trip-up / slimiest manoeuvre. viva la republique!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

More on that, America-wise:
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Just another reminder that America is an evil empire.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
I wonder if the Foreign Legion is there?  What a dumb question, of course they are.
Trotskygrad
бля

aynrandroolz wrote:

i would honestly say that france is more open and more beneficial to the countries it sticks its hand in than america. you won't see many afghanis or iraqis going to great american-funded schools in their countries and then skipping into university chairs in the ivy league. you see this everywhere with francophile colonials.
why would you say that there's this difference in the way they did colonization/interventionism? (apart from america getting into the entire colonization game a bit late, itself being a colony)

is it a result of different cultural attitudes towards the natives?
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5595|Vacationland
America colonizes places economically in most cases.  Just look at Latin America.

France and most of Europe colonized in a much more political and visible way.
Trotskygrad
бля

Narupug wrote:

America colonizes places economically in most cases.  Just look at Latin America.

yes, I see that, but why didn't america feel the need to do political colonialism? You could argue that the US had opportunities to do colonies of that sort as "Old Europe" was still doing them in the late 1800s

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2013-01-11 12:06:37)

Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5595|Vacationland

Trotskygrad wrote:

Narupug wrote:

yes, I see that, but why didn't america feel the need to do political colonialism? You could argue that the US had opportunities to do colonies of that sort as "Old Europe" was still doing them in the late 1800s
And we did, you could argue that much of American expansionism as it swept across the continent was motivated by a lot of the same attitudes that were driving European colonization in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.  It's just that Europeans had to go a little farther to find land where they could bully people into stealing their land and Americans only had to go to their backyards.  America also wanted the land to settle and Europe was more interested in just forcing the inhabitants to work for them.  America went through a nice little period of European style colonization in the late 1800s, when the USS Maine blew up, we gladly jumped into war with Spain and forced them to give us the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam.  We also got a nice little base in Cuba that you've probably heard of before and prevented Cuba from making treaties with other nations or going into debt.  We also bullied Latin America into allowing us to build the Panama Canal.

The reason the US didn't go quite as far as some European countries is to some extent the US learned it's lesson from Europe about colonization. As much as the idea that America is all about freedom and fighting tyranny is untrue, Americans over history have been somewhat less inclined to just waltz into another country and just take over.  We prefer to coerce countries into doing what we want them to so that it at least appears they have free will.  That and we've had enough internal problems without worrying about managing an overseas empire.
Trotskygrad
бля

Narupug wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Narupug wrote:

And we did, you could argue that much of American expansionism as it swept across the continent was motivated by a lot of the same attitudes that were driving European colonization in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.  It's just that Europeans had to go a little farther to find land where they could bully people into stealing their land and Americans only had to go to their backyards.  America also wanted the land to settle and Europe was more interested in just forcing the inhabitants to work for them.  America went through a nice little period of European style colonization in the late 1800s, when the USS Maine blew up, we gladly jumped into war with Spain and forced them to give us the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam.  We also got a nice little base in Cuba that you've probably heard of before and prevented Cuba from making treaties with other nations or going into debt.  We also bullied Latin America into allowing us to build the Panama Canal.
yeah I know, but I doubt we would have built similar colonial governments in the phillipines and other places given the chance, similar to how the british developed india or the french developed parts of the maghreb. I don't think the americans really used the native americans in the same way as the europeans used their colonial "subjects", I don't think the americans took their responsibility to "civilize" the natives as seriously as the europeans did.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

We should have made the Philippines a state. That way our populations could move across and settle both places easily.

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-01-11 14:18:11)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
US "territories" apart from Hawaii are usually spoils of war. Spanish-American war pretty much kicked off the whole "lol imah take shit from you spain"
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

We should have made the Philippines a state. That way our populations could move across and settle both places easily.
I still think it's better if they vote for it in their own time.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
You all forgot California.  It's still pretty Mexican from what I hear.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Too Mexican for Shifty. Considering his love of guns I'll be surprised if he doesn't join one of those border watch militias so he can live out his soldier fantasy since the U.S. military doesn't take people who god has made physically defective.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5595|Vacationland

Cybargs wrote:

US "territories" apart from Hawaii are usually spoils of war. Spanish-American war pretty much kicked off the whole "lol imah take shit from you spain"
We've been taking shit from Spain for a long time.
Trotskygrad
бля
one french soldier has been KIA :<
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
Kinda lame that they waited till all the artifacts were destroyed before sending in military force.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke

Trotskygrad wrote:

one french soldier has been KIA :<
Wasn't that on a mission in Somalia though?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya
The reports I've seen say a French Commando was killed in Somalia, but there has also been a French pilot killed in Mali during an air assault that killed ~100 rebels.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke
Ah hadn't seen anything about the pilot.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

100 KDR. Not bad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard