BVC
+325|6695

Dilbert_X wrote:

BVC wrote:

Because its fairer than simply allowing non-union members to reap the benefits of union negotiations.

If I join a union which negotiates a good pay increase on my behalf, why should a few people who aren't members of my union reap the benefits of said negotiations?

As a former union member who has worked in said situation alongside freeloaders, I may be a little biased however.
Why should anything be fair?

Whats next, forcing everyone in a company to pay gym membership so the ones who want to go to the gym can negotiate a better deal?

Unions should be voluntary associations, the compulsory ones - eg the UK Police - are the ones which really can just fuck around doing whatever they like.
Why should anything be unfair?

I agree, unions should be voluntary - but the benefits of union membership (that includes wage negotiations handled by the union) should also be a consequence of voluntary membership.  Unions aren't charities.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

BVC wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

BVC wrote:

Because its fairer than simply allowing non-union members to reap the benefits of union negotiations.

If I join a union which negotiates a good pay increase on my behalf, why should a few people who aren't members of my union reap the benefits of said negotiations?

As a former union member who has worked in said situation alongside freeloaders, I may be a little biased however.
Why should anything be fair?

Whats next, forcing everyone in a company to pay gym membership so the ones who want to go to the gym can negotiate a better deal?

Unions should be voluntary associations, the compulsory ones - eg the UK Police - are the ones which really can just fuck around doing whatever they like.
Why should anything be unfair?

I agree, unions should be voluntary - but the benefits of union membership (that includes wage negotiations handled by the union) should also be a consequence of voluntary membership.  Unions aren't charities.
But aren't unions started to help the workers of the world?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
With modern workplace laws in most countries unions are mostly redundant.

Its an irony that in most places its the unions which have got them pushed through. These things go in cycles.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

With modern workplace laws in most countries unions are mostly redundant.

Its an irony that in most places its the unions which have got them pushed through. These things go in cycles.
Examples of modern workplace laws that would make the function of a labor union redundant?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Minimum wage, statutory wages according to jobs, statutory overtime loading, compulsory healthcare, anti-harassment and victimisation laws, wrongful dismissal laws, statutory hours, statutory sick leave, statutory holday, compulsory pension contributions, racial equality laws.

I could think of some more if I tried.

Edte: Really all thats left for unions to negotiate is pay rates above minimum wage, and if thats set high enough there's not really any incentive to unionise.

From what I've seen lately unions do more harm than good, to individuals and companies, I probably wouldn't want to be in a workplace which was unionised.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-01-18 01:45:54)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Dilbert_X wrote:

Minimum wage, statutory wages according to jobs, statutory overtime rates, compulsory healthcare, anti-harassment and victimisation laws, wrongful dismissal laws, statutory hours, statutory sick leave, statutory holday, compulsory pension contributions, racial equality laws.

but employees can't negotiate salaries without a union!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
BVC
+325|6695
Sometimes unions are a really bad thing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic … Government

Relevent why?  Because the deal which this article refers to was struck in order to keep the the hobbit here, after meddling by the Australian and UK actors unions threatened to derail it.  Meddling by foreign unions caused what looks to be a minor attack on NZ sovereignty.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

The Ombudsman ordered the Government to release documents about the deal it struck to ensure the Hobbit movies were made in this country.
FFS, there already is work done on them from abroad. But I kind of like that these Tolkien movies are at least filmed in one country. Wouldn't have it any other way.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Minimum wage, statutory wages according to jobs, statutory overtime rates, compulsory healthcare, anti-harassment and victimisation laws, wrongful dismissal laws, statutory hours, statutory sick leave, statutory holday, compulsory pension contributions, racial equality laws.

but employees can't negotiate salaries without a union!
I know you were being sarcastic, but you're also right. If the company is structured and driven in a certain way, they can get what they want.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

The CEO of a U.S. tire maker has delivered a crushing summary of how some outsiders view France's work ethic in a letter saying he would have to be stupid to take over a factory whose staff only put in three hours work a day.

Titan International's Maurice "Morry" Taylor, who goes by "The Grizz" for his bear-like no-nonsense style, told the left-wing French industry minister in a letter published by Paris media that he had no interest in buying a doomed plant.

"The French workforce gets paid high wages but works only three hours. They get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three," Taylor wrote on February 8 in the letter in English addressed to the minister, Arnaud Montebourg.

"I told this to the French union workers to their faces. They told me that's the French way!" Taylor added in the letter, which was posted by business daily Les Echos on its website on Wednesday and which the ministry confirmed was genuine.

"How stupid do you think we are?" he asked at one point.

"Titan is going to buy a Chinese tire company or an Indian one, pay less than one Euro per hour wage and ship all the tires France needs," he said. "You can keep the so-called workers."

Taylor has built Illinois-based Titan over 23 years into a global brand in tires for tractors and other off-road machinery. Proud of being "The Grizz" -his group's logo features a cartoon bear and its website opens to the roar of a grizzly - Taylor has clashed with unions before and ran for the White House in the 1996 Republican primary, campaigning on a pro-business ticket.
http://news.yahoo.com/keep-called-worke … AAaXHQtDMD
Article was linked to drudgereport the largest internet blog on the world and also the largest conservative. Read the comments. They are all 100% anti French and union. I just find this funny because Taylor was never going to buy the plant anyway. No matter what they did the French can't compete with $1 wages. The people in the comments managed to get wrapped up into this us vs them, "we are the hard workers and the French and unions are lazy" thing so much that they missed the part about the CEO throwing jobs at Chinese living off slave wages.

This narrative of hard workers vs lazy workers sure has managed to make people receptive to ideas and practices that hurt them economically. The same way some people who have spent most of their life including their adult time living off the government can somehow come to think of themselves as self made men and hardworkers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard