Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5627

The estate tax in the United States is a tax imposed on the transfer of the "taxable estate" of a deceased person, whether such property is transferred via a will, according to the state laws of intestacy or otherwise made as an incident of the death of the owner, such as a transfer of property from an intestate estate or trust, or the payment of certain life insurance benefits or financial account sums to beneficiaries.
Do you think beleive that estates should be taxed upon the death of the estate holder? The argument that you keep what you make is obvious. The argument in favor of the tax is as follows
Proponents of the estate tax argue that it serves to prevent the perpetuation of wealth, free of tax, in wealthy families and that it is necessary to a system of progressive taxation.
So what do you think?

Something I found interesting is that the exclusion amount has risen 640% while the rate it is taxed at has gone down by 15 points over the last decade.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/47545/toprate.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5584|Toronto
If you tax it more than 90% of the wealthy who don't die suddenly will have an accountant who knows which offshore accounts they'll need to use to hide the inheritance.

Until you can tell the offshore banks to change regulation (I have a bridge I'd like to sell you), you let the rich get by with just enough to make it worth their while to keep money in the country.

The current system is less than perfect, but better than this proposal.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6147|eXtreme to the maX
I don't really like the idea of taking someones money or property when they've paid tax on their income their whole lives.

If its not taxed then we end up with a few families holding all the wealth - and end up with a European-style aristocracy - which I think is a very bad thing for progress.

On the one hand you're 'punishing' people who have been succesful, on the other you're limiting other people's potential success when all the available gold is in a safe in Switzerland, all the available land is owned by a Lord, and all the power is wielded by someone who only has it because a long dead relative was once succesful.

I don't like either system, but on balance I prefer estate tax above a certain figure, say $1m.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard