globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria

Jaekus wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Casual drinking is for alcoholics.
Seeing as I'm currently studying a unit called Work Effectively in the Alcohol and Other Drugs Sector I can say with confidence this statement is incorrect.

Alcoholism is defined by dependence.
If you drink your daily beer to each meal, you're pretty dependent IMO.

I propose true randomized drinking to avoid any habit-forming usages:
--Random intervals
--Random ethanol concentrations
--Random quantities
(with upper limits for the latter two)
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4842|Amsterdam

globefish23 wrote:

The real Budweiser from Budweis is indeed good.

My favourite alcoholic beverages:
--Mojito (with Appleton Jamaica rum and home grown mint)
--Cuba Libre (with  Captain Morgan Spiced Gold and Coca Cola)
--White Russian (with Kahlúa for the coffee liquer)

I see no use to drink a few beers out of peer pressure or to drink a glass of wine to a dinner.
I drink to get drunk, which happens a few times a year.
Actual Budweiser is ok, problem is, they hardly serve the proper kind in the states. I have no idea which brands are commonly available in the US that are decent, but i doubt you get any good Belgian or German beers there. You would probably be better off drinking some local brew.

And casual drinking is for alcoholics? Define casual drinking here, because almost all the drinks you listed are very much considered 'casual drinks' and not the type of drink you consume in large quantities to get pissed.
So if you a glass of wine or two at dinner, at home or a restauraunt, you're an alcoholic? If you enjoy one of the many drinks that require fine taste in the company of others you're an alcoholic? Or are we talking about sitting alone, in the dark, killing a case of beer?

Last edited by Kampframmer (2013-01-08 02:43:16)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
I will have a beer if offered to me at a mates house. I very rarely drink to get drunk, and drunkenness is not high on my "fun" list. If I go to a BBQ I will bring a few drinks with me. And you're saying I'm an alcoholic? My dad was an alcoholic. He drank to get drunk, all the time. I am very much not an alcoholic.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
Addiction is a form of mental illness. I guess that's why it's a unit in my cert IV for Mental Health.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Kampframmer wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

I see no use to drink a few beers out of peer pressure or to drink a glass of wine to a dinner.
Actual Budweiser is ok, problem is, they hardly serve the proper kind in the states. I have no idea which brands are commonly available in the US that are decent, but i doubt you get any good Belgian or German beers there. You would probably be better off drinking some local brew.

And casual drinking is for alcoholics? Define casual drinking here, because almost all the drinks you listed are very much considered 'casual drinks' and not the type of drink you consume in large quantities to get pissed.
So if you a glass of wine or two at dinner, at home or a restauraunt, you're an alcoholic? If you enjoy one of the many drinks that require fine taste in the company of others you're an alcoholic? Or are we talking about sitting alone, in the dark, killing a case of beer?
IIRC From the one US sports game I went to 'beer' served at these events is more like lightly tinted soda-water.

I'll have a beer whenever I want, that doesn't make me an alcoholic.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria
I was thinking about the people that drink a beer or two whenever they have their schnitzel for dinner - everyday.
I simply see no sense in drinking alcohol daily, even if it is "just" alongside dinner.
A glass of water is enough.
You're just increasing your alcohol tolerance threshold. And it's this regularity which I think defines alcoholism.

Of course, if you go binge drinking every weekend you're an alcoholic as well.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
Habit doesn't necessarily equal dependence, though it can certainly lead to it.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Lol globe.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

west-phoenix-az wrote:

yall best ban fires

POLICE have charged a man with breaching the total fire ban in NSW's Illawarra region after he allegedly lit a cooking fire.

Officers were called to a rural property on Smith Lane at Wongawilli at about 1am (AEDT) on Tuesday where they saw the fire in a stove in a carport.

The stove was old and damaged with hot ash falling to the ground, police said.

Police attempted to extinguish the fire, but the 70-year-old property owner allegedly tried to stop them.

The man was arrested and issued a court attendance notice for failing to comply with a government-ordered fire ban.

He is due to appear at Port Kembla Local Court on April 4.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/br … 6549649885
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6653

globefish23 wrote:

I was thinking about the people that drink a beer or two whenever they have their schnitzel for dinner - everyday.
I simply see no sense in drinking alcohol daily, even if it is "just" alongside dinner.
A glass of water is enough.
You're just increasing your alcohol tolerance threshold. And it's this regularity which I think defines alcoholism.

Of course, if you go binge drinking every weekend you're an alcoholic as well.
Light drinking takes the edge off...you aren't anywhere near drunk, but you feel a little more relaxed, glib, etc.

Your body can likely metabolize a couple of drinks per day with no additional ill effects (i.e. long-term damage) to your liver, especially in the prime of your life. There is no absolute scientific consensus on how much is a safe daily level to consume...for example, in the US it's 1-2 drinks per day for a man, versus 3 or less per day in the UK. A single drink per day may even increase overall longevity.

The point being that life is meant for living, it's not a game to see who can endure the aging process the longest. Things like light drinking are probably not going to shorten your lifespan very appreciably, and can complement a lot of situations quite nicely.

Also, a lot of craft brews made stateside are amazingly flavorful. Numerous craft brews in the states actually recommend food pairings on the bottle wrapper. Not everything is Pisswasser here. That said, something with the flavor is definitely lost in transit, because the Budweiser I tried in Euroland was not great by any standard, and the Guinnesses I had in London were better than any I've ever had over here. And it's not especially hard to find good European beers (real Trappist ales and the like) if you live in a town with over ~20,000 people (or simply near a city).

I'm sure my views are an exception to the current rule over here, but things are changing rapidly. It seems that bars featuring their own microbrews are increasingly more common, and some of the craft brewers are getting big enough that the nation's tastes in beers seems to be changing/maturing overall, as decent options start becoming available in places like gas stations and chain supermarkets.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

DrunkFace wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

yall best ban fires

POLICE have charged a man with breaching the total fire ban in NSW's Illawarra region after he allegedly lit a cooking fire.

Officers were called to a rural property on Smith Lane at Wongawilli at about 1am (AEDT) on Tuesday where they saw the fire in a stove in a carport.

Police attempted to extinguish the fire, but the 70-year-old property owner allegedly tried to stop them.

The man was arrested and issued a court attendance notice for failing to comply with a government-ordered fire ban.

Because it's not like there are dozens of bushfires currently active and Illawarra isn't under a catastrophic fire risk
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6389

globefish23 wrote:

i'm not an alcoholic i'm just a serious social drinker
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Jaekus wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

yall best ban fires

Because it's not like there are dozens of bushfires currently active and Illawarra isn't under a catastrophic fire risk
There's been tons of bush fires that were caused by dickhead kids being dickheads and start lighting shit on fire.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Kampframmer wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

You can find german and belgian beers at any local supermarket here. In california we have 'liquor stores' which carry a much broader variety. Not to metion german and belgian brews have seen a revival here in the last 4-5 years as have micro and craft brews. You should really try to visit the US sometime, our beer selection is excellent these days. I think outsiders just see the marketing muscle of mass produced beer and pictures of poor college kids pounding natty ice and think that's the norm. Its not.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Yeah American beers have come a long way lately. I really like Mirror Pond. Expensive up here, but worth it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Yeah American beers have come a long way lately. I really like Mirror Pond. Expensive up here, but worth it.
Deschutes is my favorite brewery in portland. They have an awesome pork belly at their restaurant. Portland has an amazing beer scene. Actually, portland is just a great town all around. If it didn't rain there so much I'd move there.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
A girl from California was telling me about how you can buy alcohol from just about anywhere.  That's awesome, Maryland only lets liquor stores sell it, can't buy it for home from anywhere else, it would be so much more convenient if it were like Cali
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Never seen a Korean convenience store selling 40's from behind bullet proof glass in movies?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
Or underage kids buying beer from grocery stores(which apparently my county exclusively allows but I've never ever seen it in one at all and neither have any of my friends).  That scene from Superbad surprised me, I had completely forgotten other states allow you to buy it from places other than the liquor store.  Maryland has a few weird laws compared to other states like Cali, and they vary even more by county/city. 

Statewide:

You can only buy beer & wine on Sundays, and liquor stores are only allowed to open at noon and by choice, they tend to close pretty early(6 P.M.) in almost all cases.  Very few liquor stores stay open on Sundays anyway and one of the conservatively-oriented Western counties as well as Baltimore city are completely dry on Sunday.

You can't buy any alcohol anywhere at all after 2 A.M.(12 A.M. in Bmore city unless you're at a bar, then it's 1 A.M.), not from bars, not from the liquor store, if you have a drink in your hand at that time in a place that serves it, they will supposedly take it away from you(D.C. has a similar law but they make an exception on some holidays to raise additional tax revenue).  Most liquor stores close at 11 anyway, after which you can only get "carryout" from bars or go to the much rarer liquor stores that stay open till 1, they tend to be almost exclusively found in the hood though

No liquor store chains are permitted, only individual privately owned stores

It is almost impossible to get alcohol shipped directly to you from out of state unless the company has no distributor(like smaller breweries and wineries)

Last edited by _j5689_ (2013-01-08 11:01:11)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria
Go to a chemical store or pharmacy and buy analysis grade ethanol for diluting for drinking purposes cleaning your ink jet printer a school science project.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
Well, it is that time of year, lol
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

it is always a good time to clean your ink jet printers
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
Well I meant Maryland Science Fair time but yeah there's that too, lol
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

You can find german and belgian beers at any local supermarket here. In california we have 'liquor stores' which carry a much broader variety. Not to metion german and belgian brews have seen a revival here in the last 4-5 years as have micro and craft brews. You should really try to visit the US sometime, our beer selection is excellent these days. I think outsiders just see the marketing muscle of mass produced beer and pictures of poor college kids pounding natty ice and think that's the norm. Its not.
Go to Jacks Bar on Fisherman's wharf in San Francisco. They have 84 beers on tap, including craft beers. So good.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6389
total wine carries over 2500 beers:
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/beer

United States (1601)
Belgium (223)
Germany (140)
England (92)
Mexico (64)
Canada (39)
Netherlands (33)
Ireland (26)
Denmark (21)
Japan (15)
Austria (14)
Czech Republic (13)
Italy (12)
France (11)
Scotland (10)
China (9)
Australia (9)
New Zealand (8)
Russia (7)
Lithuania (7)
Poland (6)
Spain (6)
Jamaica (5)
India (5)
Portugal (5)
Thailand (3)
Philippines (3)
Peru (2)
Costa Rica (2)
Greece (2)
Brazil (2)
Slovakia (2)
Norway (2)
Laos (2)
Turkey (1)
Lebanon (1)
Singapore (1)
Croatia (1)
Sweden (1)
Bulgaria (1)
Armenia (1)
French Polynesia (1)

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2013-01-08 14:00:25)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard