I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney
Congratulations to Whitney Houston, 10 months sober <3
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6341|Graz, Austria

Jaekus wrote:

Congratulations to Whitney Houston, 10 months sober <3
I had to look up her Wikipedia article as I was unsure if she was still alive.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6491|6 6 4 oh, I forget

13urnzz wrote:

imma go to finland, and stalk eifa, donny, and ultra. i ne'er done a 4 way before . . .
Promises...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England

Shahter wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yes, but what is the point if there are no German people there anymore? It's just a ghost of a city. I think it would make me sad more than anything else.
what makes you think there are no german people in there? kaliningrad, i'm told, is one of the most "european" among russian cities, even more so than moscow and st.petersburg. a lot of different people in there.
plus, if you never been, how exactly can you tell what kind of emotional response would that stuff prompt in you?
anyway, see st.petersburg - it should be more like kaliningrad than most russian cities - and see for yourself. i'd still say though that if you go here to see something like that you might as well skip the whole thing and go see czechia.
Because the Soviets forced the millions of Germans living in Prussia, Silesia and Pomerania to relocate to what became West Germany? Not that I really blame the Soviets for doing so, they'd just had their own country raped and pillaged for the previous three years with millions displaced and/or killed. But the fact is, they kicked anyone who was German out of the newly conquered territories. My grandmothers family had their house seized with all their belongings and had it given to a Polish doctor. Here, I'll just quote the interview my cousin did with my grandmother:
WS:     So the war was over and I was in Austria.  My mother, they all were in a camp, in a Polish camp.
KG:      From your town?
WS:     Yes. They had to leave…They evicted my mother, my brother and Heinz.  They evicted from her home..,our home.  They put big [unclear] fences around all in one street.
KG:      Who did this?
WS:     The Poles and the Russians. Then they were in a concentration camp for six months.  Finally, in 1946, the Russians took them by Berlin and then they were six months in a concentration camp there.  Then the English people they took them into West Germany…into the English zone.  Meanwhile, I was in Austria.  I was injured on my right leg.  You can see the scars.  I was injured by scraps that were from the bombs.
KG:      Where were the bombs?
WS:     All cities were bombed.  I went through quite a bit of bombing. Berlin, yes.  I have been there. [Unclear]
KG:      What happened with your mother and your brother? The Polish and the Russian soldiers came into the town?
WS:     My youngest brother, he was fourteen at the time.  They took him into Poland and they put him into a concentration camp.  They put him into a church for six months. I think when the Poles came in my mother had him hid.  She was hiding him out in someplace but they found him and then they took him.  Then he escaped and went back to Raezebuhr.  And he got skinny that he could go through the fence.  That is what I understood.  Then, at that time, a couple of Poles saved my mother’s life.
KG:      Polish soldiers or Polish citizens?
WS:     Yeah, the Poles.  They were protected because some of the Russians they raped every woman, including my mother. They were all raped. It was very bad.
KG:      That must have been hard on your family.
WS:     Yes, I do not want to think about it because I start crying when it is your own mother.  I particularly don’t like talking about that.
KG:      Did she then return to your hometown?
WS:     Yes, she was always there in my hometown.  Not the house we lived in.  I think a Polish doctor took over right away.  They threw them out and kept all the furniture.
KG:      So the Polish soldiers set up a camp right in your town?
WS:     Yes, they put a [unclear] fence so nobody could go out.  Until they put on a train into the Russian zone because they occupied it.  This country, I think, and Russia they divided it.  They knew it was going to be Poland and that is when they threw out the rest of the German people.
KG:      Because they thought it was their land?
WS:     It was not their land but that was the agreement at that time.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
https://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25005160.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

https://i.imgur.com/UWPLw.gif?1?4667
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/396973_512362868797555_762530657_n.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5196|Sydney
Woah that's cool.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

cool that it glows but sucks that it is a yoda
Ultrafunkula

Macbeth wrote:

it is a yoda
A Yoda..... . . .. .. . . ...  . .

https://www.eylence.az/blogs/media/blogs/katalonec/car-hit-tree-002.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

Yugo meets Skoda
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

https://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120204065354/starwars/images/3/3e/Yaddle-SWE.jpg
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6710
Yaddle
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

My grandmother's family was from here (blue circle on the right side of map):
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/21119_4883143679395_34683750_n.jpg

Which is now:
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-10%20at%2010.39.24%20AM.png

Last edited by Jay (2012-12-10 07:40:33)

-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6710
I think I had fam from Krakow.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6792|Moscow, Russia

Jaekus wrote:

Jay explaining to an evil russian commie how soviets didn't really like those who had killed 35 millions of them at the time.

@Jay: yeah. i get it. your grandmother had it pretty rough from the soviets. my grandies had their share of that too. i wouldn't call that a good reason to shy away from everything soviet though, but you are of course welcome to do as you see fit, i'm just voicing an opinion - i kinda thought that, taking some of my... how to phrase that... let's call them "national traits" in account, it might be helpful.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Catherine the Great was German
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6676|BC, Canada
What about Catherine Black?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6710
She was a true Nord.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6341|Graz, Austria

Shahter wrote:

soviets didn't really like those who had killed 35 millions of them at the time.
I heard Molotov and Ribbentrop liked each other very much.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

My family on both sides seems entirely unaware of where they came from originally. Hardly know anything about my family history, which kinda sucks. Most I know is that my maternal great-great grandad got his leg blown off in the trenches and my paternal grandad was posted in Cyprus in the 50s and carried a copper-wrapped stick for hitting people with if they misbehaved.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6710
Funny, I have some family that fled from Europe to Israel during ww2 who were detained by the Brtis in Cyprus.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Catherine the Great was German

-Whiteroom- wrote:

What about Catherine Black?

Superior Mind wrote:

She was a true Nord.
And a wizard...

'arry.
Ultrafunkula

So how 'bout it Burntzy? Mutilation trip to Estonia? It would be fun. Kinda like Hostel - fun. Except you can get back to Helsinki just in time for happy hour. And you can booze on the boat too.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6514

that.sounds.EPIC!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard