Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6732|Scotland
Hi all again,
                    We now have 3 PC's in the house, 1 of them a laptop. Up until now, we haven't used a router and have co-ordinated our online time between us. Now we are in constant conflict with different needs and I am considering a wired/wireless router. I say wireless as I think only the laptop will be using that feature. I do however want the other 2 PC's to be wired, as I still think that it is superior.

Now, do all wireless routers have a wired option as well? I have an ADSL line which is the one where you need a microfilter and not the RJ45 connector. Do all routers have the RJ45 connection because I have the smaller one. (I don't know what it's called)

You see, I'm in a bit of a hole as I know BlueYonder and suchlike have ethernet cables but BT don't.

help.

Wolfie
HCSkorpio
Hind Secks
+8|6549|California
Yes....most wireless routers have a 4 port RJ45switch in the back.  So you should be fine.

Its really simple.  Just go to the store and look at the pictures of the box.

So connect 2 wired computers to the back of the router. 

In the back of the router there is a seperate uplink jack.  It might be a different color or slightly away from the 4 other jacks.

Connect router (uplink port) to modem and your done.

The small line ur talking about is the RJ11...thats on the modem...and u connect that from the modem to the filter.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6732|Scotland
so, from computer to filter to modem to line?

what cable connects computer to modem?
HM1{N}
+86|6656|East Coast via Los Angeles, CA

[E.F.L]Airwolf wrote:

so, from computer to filter to modem to line?

what cable connects computer to modem?
Modem to router uplink (WAN port)

Any of the other ports (1-4) to the computer.

Connect with everything off, including modem.  Once connected turn on modem, wait until you have data link with the outside world.  Then turn on router.  Then turn on PC's. 

You're good to go.
Widjerd
I like sausage
+18|6553|Bristol UK
broadband modem - crossover ethernet rj45
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6748|Salt Lake City

If your DSL service doesn't have an RJ45 going to their mode/router, you need a new service provider.  Proprietary is the suck!!!
[2MC]Golarin
+6|6562
make sure you get a gigabit capable router too.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6664

[2MC]Golarin wrote:

make sure you get a gigabit capable router too.
This is only needed if the user wants to transfer files across the lan faster than 10MB/sec. It'll be pointless if he rarely has the need to transfer files in a lan. He can just connect a gigabit switch upto it if he really wants that anyway. Unmanaged gigabit switches cost nothing nowadays.

Some routers do have both wireless capability and rj45 connections for a lan.

I myself use the Draytek Vigor 2600, of which there is a wireless version available. However, that's been discontinued in favour of the 2800, which is clearly a better router.

Also, ADSLGuide has good reviews of ADSL routers.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6732|Scotland
thanks guys, a lot of help.

Much appreciated.

wolfie

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard