Poll

I am _______ concealed weapons and I live...

_for_...in the US.43%43% - 97
_for_...in another nation where they are allowed.3%3% - 7
_for_...in a nation where they are disallowed.10%10% - 23
_against_...in the US.5%5% - 13
_against_...in another nation where they are allowed.2%2% - 5
_against_...in a nation where they are disallowed.35%35% - 80
Total: 225
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

ARISE, NECROTHREAD!!!

I found that the last poll asking people if they think people should be allowed to carry concealed weapons in public was insufficient to categorize opinion (with merely its yes/depending/no options) due to its lack of cultural reference. Consider "for" to cover implemented criteria (such as training), so long as it ends up with a citizen owning a weapon and carrying it concealed through public.

---

Personally, I'm a strong believer in the right to carry for personal defense. While I acknowledge the improbability of my being assaulted due to my personal lifestyle, I refuse to discount the possibility altogether. It is for this, sporting (target shooting) and hobbiest (maintenance) reasons that I keep firearms, and object to the removal of my rights to them.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-02-25 21:53:37)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
I am for, but only 1 out of 10 people should be carrying them.  You shouldn't just be able to walk into a store and buy one and get a concealed gun license in only a few days or weeks.  I think you should have to go through much more. 

So, yes, but the way it's being done/regulated, no

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-09-02 21:01:56)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
If I feel like packing, I pack.
I don't give a shit what law there is that says I can't.
I did a good sized job in Las Vegas and came back with 14k in cash.
Do you think that all I had was a toothpick?
Arkhon
FullMetalHead
+20|6499|Canberra, Australia
Not just anyone should have a gun but taking away someone's right to defend themselves against someone who is probably carrying a weapon (no matter what the law says) is just ridiculous.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
I think concealed wepons is a stupid idea. Most criminals won't attack you if they know you've got a gun, most robbers won't rob you if they know you're home. So unless you actually WANT to kill someone, it's kind of a dumbass idea.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

ATG wrote:

Here's a thought: don't carry 14k in cash.  There are these things called banks for just that purpose.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6678|In You Endo- Stoke

Bubbalo wrote:

ATG wrote:

Here's a thought: don't carry 14k in cash.  There are these things called banks for just that purpose.
LOL sucker punched!

Yeah i live in england so any concealed weopen is not allowed.Alot of the time a weopen will get you into alot more trouble than people think.There is on the odd occasion when a weopen is needed.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6708|Wilmington, DE, US
Against. Why conceal when you can show them off?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Spark wrote:

I think concealed wepons is a stupid idea. Most criminals won't attack you if they know you've got a gun, most robbers won't rob you if they know you're home. So unless you actually WANT to kill someone, it's kind of a dumbass idea.
But there's a keyword here: most. Some people are "lucky" enough to encounter the few, and those who do that shoot before being shot are usually still alive (or in court fighting off a lawsuit, but still alive).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-03 00:50:55)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
Point taken, but seriously. What dumbass criminal would attack you and risk getting shot, when there are millions of other people who are far easier targets? Unless their insane, which I could understand.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Spark wrote:

Point taken, but seriously. What dumbass criminal would attack you and risk getting shot, when there are millions of other people who are far easier targets? Unless their insane, which I could understand.
Probably a stupid one, of which there are plenty, in dire need of cash. Or there could just be low visibility. That being said, firearms are rather intimidating pieces of equipment, and many people are probably thankful for the concealment requirement. It's not the old west anymore in the US, at least. A gun owner cannot enter a civil discussion and casually rest his hand on the hilt to further a speaking point, and not risk some legal issues (unless they're a cop, I suppose). Those who do exhibit irresponsibility.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-03 03:58:14)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
There's no need to carry one here in Ireland, not that you are allowed anyway. The absence of firearms from society here means that it is a far bigger taboo to carry one and firearm crime as a result is practically non-existent (except in confined drug gang wars). Firearm crimes are treated far more gravely and with shock than they would do in a country where carrying is legal. The effect seems to be that 'casual' crime NEVER involves guns. I think we're better off as a consequence.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-09-03 04:40:42)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6701|New York

Spark wrote:

Welp, then we should be able to carry the weapon in plain sight. That would solve it now wouldnt it?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

There's no need to carry one here in Ireland, not that you are allowed anyway. The absence of firearms from society here means that it is a far bigger taboo to carry one and firearm crime as a result is practically non-existent (except in confined drug gang wars). Firearm crimes are treated far more gravely and with shock than they would do in a country where carrying is legal. The effect seems to be that 'casual' crime NEVER involves guns. I think we're better off as a consequence.
Absolutely right!
Krysiss
+15|6474|NL
Sorry but given weapons to the people is great responsebillty,
most country where weapons are allowd has the highest death rate around this globe.
-----------------------------
just some proof that guns are bad as hell:
http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:2mL … =firefox-a
http://www.lcav.org/about/gun_violence.asp
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6567|Mountains of NC

I have taken full advantage of our federal laws {on gun carry & ownage} and my state laws{on gun carry & ownage} , I have a CWP and I am a CWP Instructor, the course is a good course and I do think that if everyone took a basic gun safety and law course we could see a change, a CWP holder is less likely to use the gun in the wrong manner { a CWP seems to have more respect for the gun and for the law, after the course you realize when you are authorized to use deadly force }                    in NC to obtain a CWP, you go through the course, go to the shooting range to show that you're proficient of firing, then pay the fees, get finger printed and then wait it out 60 days as they do a full background check on you

I carry to be prepared {not to be some hero} our society has turned rough here in america, punishment is lax, police force is minimal, and as CWP holder and as a gun enthusiast I go to the gun range at least three times a week, everyone has their hobby's and guns are mine
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Krysiss
+15|6474|NL

SEREMAKER wrote:

I carry to be prepared {not to be some hero} our society has turned rough here in america, punishment is lax, police force is minimal, and as CWP holder and as a gun enthusiast I go to the gun range at least three times a week, everyone has their hobby's and guns are mine
I live in dutch but comparing the punishment between are country
is the same comparing a pig with horse.

your  law systeem is much harder then ours.....
but still US has higher crime rate

maby because of the wealth between poor&rich?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Krysiss wrote:

most country where weapons are allowd has the highest death rate around this globe.
That's a great point. Guns are something that should only be used by responsible people. A massive proportion of even 'law-abiding' citizens (which is a silly phrase since all a law abiding citizen is is someone who hasn't commited a crime yet - there's no detailled psychological profiling of everyone who buys a gun) are not responsible enough to make decisions over someones life and death. That includes the majority of police.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

This poll currently seems to be divided roughly between US nationals who are for firearms rights and those foreign to the US who are not. I expected as much.

Krysiss wrote:

I skimmed through the fact sheet. This was a pretty little piece:

The gun industry markets to women under the guise of self-protection. They promote the myth that a gun will protect a woman if she is attacked by a stalker,criminal,rapist or other stranger.But the facts show that about twice as many women are shot by their intimate partner than are killed by strangers using guns or any other means.

If they are to approach it from that angle of "logic," they should also suggest avoiding intimate partners. And suicide? If you're going to kill yourself, you don't need a gun to do it. I'm sick of poorly-written fact sheets.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-03 15:10:44)

SGT.Slayero
+98|6464|Life in a vacuum sucks
what r u some kind of arab or some thing?
jonsimon
+224|6494

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If they are to approach it from that angle of "logic," they should also suggest avoiding intimate partners. And suicide? If you're going to kill yourself, you don't need a gun to do it. I'm sick of poorly-written fact sheets.
Um, sorry, but when presented with a painless method of death, one is far more likely to commit suicide.
Falls from small buildings and hanging are slow painful deaths, and not always certain death. A gunshot in the mouth, however, is instant death almost every time.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

This poll currently seems to be divided roughly between US nationals who are for firearms rights and those foreign to the US who are not. I expected as much.
That's because it seems to me that we have no gun crime at all really (because guns are illegal and very difficult to procure) and far lower levels of homicide than the US and as such we believe our system to be the better one. The US has considerable levels of gun crime and as such many people there want to carry guns (thus perpetuating gun crime).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-09-03 17:00:07)

EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6551|UK

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Spark wrote:

Welp, then we should be able to carry the weapon in plain sight. That would solve it now wouldnt it?
Probably not, I expect you would end up getting mugged for your gun.
vanmani
Unintentionally Verbose
+26|6591|Australia

CameronPoe wrote:

Confirmed!

Also the case in Australia. No firearms = no firearms related crime = no need for firearms. Q.E.D. It's a self supporting argument.
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America
This is why I am all for carrying a gun for personal protection.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … 006/NEWS01

Also notice the last line in the article where it considers the self defense shooting a homicide.  Many of the homicides that are reported in these statistics being thrown around are from shootings like this and from drug and gang violence where neither party in the shooting is innocent.  Most people just read a number in the stats and think they were all innocent people getting killed.  Hell I bet even police shootings are included in the homicide rate if the criminal dies.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-09-03 18:05:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard