Zukabazuka
+23|6704
Here is another tip most of the time the commander bombard the place with most player so dont try to be around a big group, the commander might go for you if you are sniping pretty good that is.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6715|Germany

Snake wrote:

Yeah, that is useful - if you can see their arty. So on Wake, its good. Karkand you needent bother, cause you know where it is going every time.
I've posted this tip because I see it all the time on Wake,all the transports and snipers get peppered by arty-shells and it could be easily avoided by keeping one eye at the arty at all times.

Just ask the people who played with me on Wake,it's almost foolproof.

On Karkand it might be not that useful - but there are a lot of other maps where you can see the arty if you are in the right spot.So it's posted primarily for Wake,see for yourself how you can use the info on other maps.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6585|England

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Snake wrote:

Yeah, that is useful - if you can see their arty. So on Wake, its good. Karkand you needent bother, cause you know where it is going every time.
I've posted this tip because I see it all the time on Wake,all the transports and snipers get peppered by arty-shells and it could be easily avoided by keeping one eye at the arty at all times.

Just ask the people who played with me on Wake,it's almost foolproof.

On Karkand it might be not that useful - but there are a lot of other maps where you can see the arty if you are in the right spot.So it's posted primarily for Wake,see for yourself how you can use the info on other maps.
Yeah, it is damn useful for Wake. Im not discounting that. All im stating - is that for a lot of other maps, dont go trying it cos it aint gona work!
Karkand is a whorefest stat pad central map...i couldnt care less about it tbh

Just looking over some of the maps, and other places where this could come in handy:
- Sharqi, if you are US at the front of the City Entrance - you can see it firing.
- Mashtuur if you have the Mosque and are US (again) looking over at the hotel.
- DV if you are PLA up on Vista Point...you can see the US arty below you.
- Gulf of Oman if you are MEC maybe, obviously depends on what flags you have.

Last edited by Snake (2006-09-03 04:03:15)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6672
I have the bug where I can hear arty firing from anywhere on the map, so yeah when it starts I usually get out of the way.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Kenthar
Resident Dragon Fanatic
+21|6565
Why are you calling it a bug?
Zodiaccup
+42|6565

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Yeah, it's surprising how many people don't know that the arty actually turns in the direction it's firing.
skratch-x
+25|6655|NY, USA

Defiance wrote:

An arty attack isn't just click, and the ground explodes.

The arty shoots a projectile that is coded with the physics to go up, arc, and come down.

It's much harder to tell with the other guns, but I think they do to.
I'm about 90% sure that gun bullets don't actually "travel" in game.  I'd be more likely to think that once you fire, a virtual trajectory is considered by the game.  Bullet physics in a game of such size with so many bullets wizzing around would jack minimum requirements through the roof.
skratch-x
+25|6655|NY, USA

Kenthar wrote:

Why are you calling it a bug?
I think there is a glitch that happens every once in a while where you hear a bunch of artillery-like noise that sounds like it's almost playing backwards or something.  Basically, it doesn't sound like a normal artillery strike, but you know what's coming.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6473|USA
Too bad the usmc artillery is different than the mec and pla artillery otherwise this would be hlepful.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6640|London, England
If i'm PLA on Wake and i see/hear the arty going off. I just look around and if i'm near alot of people or if i'm in vehicle i'll just reverse it far back and the barrage misses. Common sense really.
FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6659|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer
i also have a tip, if you can dodge the first hit of arty, run right to where it struck, because chances are that arty, like lightening wont hi the same place twice
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6718|NCFSU2

elite.mafia wrote:

Too bad the usmc artillery is different than the mec and pla artillery otherwise this would be hlepful.
The actual cannons may be different, but the angles don't change. Every artillery piece moves to an angle of fire, keep an eye on the muzzle brake.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6645|Sea to globally-cooled sea
thanks for the tip...I never noticed the arty faced you.

To avoid arty, as soon as I cap a flag with a bunch of people I bust outta there.  usually if a squad caps a flag, the commander will notice and send arty as soon as the flag turns gray.

I also avoid hanging out in groups.  Particularly wake island between beach and airfield, the entire team advances as one gigantic mass of arty kills.  Commanders live for this.  I usually try to cross the road to the other side.

Another thing I do is, when I notice the artillery guns position themselves and start firing I will check the map and if I see that I'm in a place that I would drop arty on if I were commander, I run like mad as far away from everyone else in a straight line.

The key to missing arty is to be alert.  Pay attention to the kills in the upper left.  If it seems it's been a while since the enemy commander has dropped arty, then move away from the rest of the team.  If you think you remember seeing him drop arty not too long ago, you're probably safe.

Remember also: your commander and the enemy commander have their arty reload at the same rate.  Often the two commanders will be dropping arty at about the same time.  pay attention!  if you hear your commander say "Arty your area!" maybe the enemy commander is about to drop as well.

It is my opinion that the more experienced players do not get hit by artillery much at all simply because they remain alert.
enterprizer
+2|6358|Singapore
Tits and balls don't mix....

well, actually, the funny thing is... sometimes when u are quite far from the arty, 1 shell will always lock u down and kill u...

Example:
In strike of Karkand, at the bridge near train accident control point...
Lets say the arty hits the centre of the bridge..

You will still get hit if u even stand on the other end..

happened to me once
Skorpy-chan
+127|6364|Twyford, UK
Personally, I prefer to predict the enemy fire patterns, and listen carefully for the stuff coming.

An example is the other night on Sharqi, when the enemy commander would drop arty as soon as the flag was neutralised. This meant that I got into the habit of walking up to a flag, capping it, and then running like hell and trying to get out the way. After a while, he stopped because he wasn't getting any success, as everyone else had seen what I was doing and realised it wasn't hitting me.

Last night, I tried to drop artillery where large enemy forces were squatting. A bad move, as I got kicked for teamkills after a while, since apparently ordering people to attack the point right after I drop it was getting them all killed.
Perhaps I should have told them a few seconds later every time, so they could cap it while everyone respawned.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6441|San Antonio, TX

TheDoctor wrote:

when i'm Spec ops, after blowing up one cannon the guns elevate strait up. Thats when I run.
QFT... that's why I try to stay near a vehicle. It provides cover fire and a quick escape when that arty shoots straight up in the air.

But I do love to destroy the arty when it's in use on my team... gives me a lot of satisfaction to know I cut a round short.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6364|Twyford, UK

silo1180 wrote:

But I do love to destroy the arty when it's in use on my team... gives me a lot of satisfaction to know I cut a round short.
That's a bastardy thing to do to the enemy commander.

And I was gonna flame you because I thought you were TKing your own arty.
JT_001
+17|6439|Canada
Another Tip:

Ever noticed peoples legs sticking out through a wall when they prone?  Of course you have

During an artillery barrage, if you're in a bunker, DO NOT lie down in the corner.  Your legs will stick out the other side and you will die as if you were actually outside.

Instead, crouch.
sithao
+63|6645|Los Angeles, California
hey thanks for the tip didn't know they actually point in a direction.
sithao
+63|6645|Los Angeles, California

JT_001 wrote:

Another Tip:

Ever noticed peoples legs sticking out through a wall when they prone?  Of course you have

During an artillery barrage, if you're in a bunker, DO NOT lie down in the corner.  Your legs will stick out the other side and you will die as if you were actually outside.

Instead, crouch.
u can also knife there legs 2
JT_001
+17|6439|Canada

sithao wrote:

JT_001 wrote:

Another Tip:

Instead, crouch.
u can also knife there legs 2
It's actually "their"

"Look over thereThey're playing with their guns!"
Skorpy-chan
+127|6364|Twyford, UK
So I can be killed by my legs sticking out a corner? Maan. Sucks.
JT_001
+17|6439|Canada

Skorpy-chan wrote:

So I can be killed by my legs sticking out a corner? Maan. Sucks.
Ha ha yep -- your legs go right through the wall if you're laying down and you back up into a wall/corner.

Surprised you've never seen that before -- I love to kill people that way!
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6637|InGerLand
shame that in 2142 this doesn't happen for orbital strikes, theres no warning or anything which is annoying and makes 2142 seem really cheap compared to bf2 (well cheaper than it already did)

good tip though thanks
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6644|Quebec city, Canada
Thats why I always stand a few feet away from the corner when im in a bunker.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard