choyta
+2|6522
Hey all.

Just another predominantly sniper whore here with a quick question. At long distances when sniping I find my biggest problem is being able to target the pixel space I am after. Yeah that sounds abit vague so an example: Enemy's head is tiny and trying to line it I find that a touch of the mouse lines my crosshairs too far to the left or the right of the target (or above) due to the large interval in available crosshair positions.

Now, my question. Is this due to my resolution (I play on lowest as I have a modest spec PC and rather speed vs looks), or do I need a better mouse (my current one is some generic crap)? I have had a play with mouse settings via the in-game options with no luck but am open to any and all ideas.

Cheers.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6600|British Columbia, Canada
Its your Mouse.. get a new one, maybe a G7, those things have on-the-fly Sensitivity settings last time i checked..
Maxxxie74
+25|6608|Brisbane, Australia
Yep, the G7 is super-duper.  I bought one about six months ago and don't regret it one little bit.  It's wireless too.

Max
choyta
+2|6522
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Seems the time for an upgrade is here. After abit of nosing around I think I'll go with the G5 as it seems to be the corded version of the G7 and with friends' kids sometimes about the house I've got a much better chance of finding it where I left it if it is attached to the PC.

EDIT: Tried to +karma but I don't have enough posts.

Last edited by choyta (2006-08-31 20:32:02)

DrM
+33|6658
Actually its a bit of both.
If you were to run at a higher screen res then mouse movements would seems slower, or more precise.
I would recommend playing at the highest screen res your GPU and monitor can handle. When I moved from a 1024x768 monitor to a 1280x1024 monitor my accuracy improved, and accuracy, as you know, is the difference between good and bad players.

And like the guys have already pointed out, you mouse can also be a problem.
Strangely though, it's because newer mice have such high dpi that the problem occurs, older mice user designed for lower screen resolutions and are better at moving those small amounts on today's higher res displays. That is why some of the gaming mice, such as the G5 & G518 etc can lower the DPI to simulate these more precise movements.
I you use the "on the fly" sensitivity adjustments, just make sure your used to turning them back on, or back up.
I was using a low DPI while sniping, when I heard some foot steps. I zoomed out, spun round and whipped out my pistol, jumpped side ways, ready to give some fool with a knife a right kicking, only to find, I'd only done a quater turn and had jumped right into the guy and got stabbed!

Hope this info helps you man.

DrM
Gulf_War_Syndrome
OMG ERYX HAX!
+62|6716|Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, get yourself a good mouse with on-the-fly sensitivity adjustments.
Also, in your BF2 controls, set your General sensitivity to 0.5 and Factors to 1.

I use a Logitech MX518 and this works great.
Rogue_Delta
+6|6492

LT.Victim wrote:

Its your Mouse.. get a new one, maybe a G7, those things have on-the-fly Sensitivity settings last time i checked..
G7 is very good; for me I have the MX-518 with 3 adjustable ingame sens settings. I can set 3 levels and switch them ingame. whole world of difference so get a real mouse.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6664|Warlord
If you're currently using a ball mouse then anything with a higher spec will make your gaming experience better, particularly when it comes to sniping.

I wouldn't go with a cordless mouse personally, even a good one; apart from the problem you might have with it wandering off if you're not used to the weight it'll feel like a brick.

But you don't need to go all the way up to a gaming-quality mouse. I was using a Microsoft optical until recently and have a G5 now, and believe me, there's not much difference in pointing ability on the same mouse mat! So even a good optical mouse is good enough to make a big difference if you have a real dinosaur, and it would be cheaper, but the ergonomics and additional buttons can be a big help when it comes to things like quick changes to pistol, knife and back to the rifle.

choyta wrote:

Is this due to my resolution (I play on lowest as I have a modest spec PC and rather speed vs looks)...
Lower than 800 x 600? If so really try to get it up to that at least.
AllmightyOz
+50|6523|United States - Ohio
boo microsoft wireless optical 2.0 It is freaking crap IMO. Must change batts every two days for quality gaming, and it sometimes catches signals from something and does not function properly. I would not advise wireless.
[mcp]eltorrente
+26|6545
I have a cordless G7 that I truly LOVE.  This really is the best mouse I've owned.

I also have an MX518 that I will GIVE YOU FOR FREE, choyta.   Why?  Because I'm a nice guy and it's just sitting in my drawer.  It's black and works perfectly.  Do you want it?
choyta
+2|6522

[mcp]eltorrente wrote:

I have a cordless G7 that I truly LOVE.  This really is the best mouse I've owned.

I also have an MX518 that I will GIVE YOU FOR FREE, choyta.   Why?  Because I'm a nice guy and it's just sitting in my drawer.  It's black and works perfectly.  Do you want it?
Thanks a heap for the offer mate, I bought a G5 yesterday after the help I got here. It's taking some getting used to and my original problem remains (going to see if I can't do some fiddling to get it to run smooth at over 800 x 600). Now to try to get used to using the side thumb button for prone. I had been using wheel press on the old mouse but with this wheel i seem to accidently roll it more often than just press it...and the 'nade suicides to show for it

Thanks again for the generous offer.
[mcp]eltorrente
+26|6545

choyta wrote:

[mcp]eltorrente wrote:

Thanks a heap for the offer mate, I bought a G5 yesterday after the help I got here. It's taking some getting used to and my original problem remains (going to see if I can't do some fiddling to get it to run smooth at over 800 x 600). Now to try to get used to using the side thumb button for prone. I had been using wheel press on the old mouse but with this wheel i seem to accidently roll it more often than just press it...and the 'nade suicides to show for it

Don't worry you'll get used to your new one.  I figured you were responding to say "of course I'd like a free MX518!".

O.K., I guess I just have to ask if anyone wants a free MX518.   I got it in my head to give it away, so that's what I'm going to do.  Who NEEDS it? 

First person to tell me why they NEED it will receive a free MX518 via UPS.  I'll even pay shipping.

Last edited by [mcp]eltorrente (2006-09-01 20:48:51)

PASSUBY
+30|6669|Louisiana

[mcp]eltorrente wrote:

choyta wrote:

[mcp]eltorrente wrote:

Don't worry you'll get used to your new one.  I figured you were responding to say "of course I'd like a free MX518!".

O.K., I guess I just have to ask if anyone wants a free MX518.   I got it in my head to give it away, so that's what I'm going to do.  Who NEEDS it? 

First person to tell me why they NEED it will receive a free MX518 via UPS.  I'll even pay shipping.
I would take it...Im sure there is somone out there that needs it more than I do!
Teflon.DEP
cunning n' quick
+35|6487|United States
resolution will  greatly help
spray_and_pray
+52|6528|Perth. Western Australia
ive got a microsoft optical 1.1 ....
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6800

I have a G7... what I do is put the in game sensitivity at ".1"

This literally lets me move the mouse one pixel at a time for dead-on accuracy.

Resolution does make a huge difference too though. I play on 1920x1200 and so it is easier to tell where to aim than at lower resolutions. But my monitor is getting fixed right now so I am on 1024x768 and just doing the sensitivity thing is enough to rape.
ssgt_bobcat
+1|6477
I just got my Mx518 (my Mx510 stopped working in the middle of a match).  I like the in game sensitivity adjustments, though PRACTICE with it before using it in a game setting.  WOW, it helps.  I dial down the sensitivity when sniping and that helps a whole lot.  Its great to have that high sensitivity when you need to look behind you fast.

At the same time, it is a bit "fake" for the game.  Now really, how fast can you really turn around with a full pack, and a carbine?  Not as fast as I can in the game.    Oh well, it is just a game after all....isn't it? 

Dial up a new computer, graphics card, and the mouse and you'll do fine.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard