sgt_rambo35
Banned
+5|6507
I am planning on taking A/S Level subjects next year. Has anyone taken the subject electronics? I want to pick I.T , business and electronics . Any advice appreciated massively
[BBF]Snake
The lord high master of pies
+16|6680|England
I have just completed my GCSE electronics course got my results back and got a B, so IDK if my advice would be useful but I shall give it anyway. The GCSE course compromised of learning the theory (all the equations etc) and designing and building a project. It was a pretty hard course and I was working hard throughout the year more or less up until the last day, and from what my teachers have told me the A/S level is much harder, as they take the written work much further go into more depth etc. As for desiging and building a project IDK if A/S students do that, but I assume that is the case

EDIT: This is from my A level booklet from the 6th form I am going to
Electronics-A/S

Module1-Foundation electronics
Electrical principles, sensors and transducers, logic gates, amplifiers, timers, multivibrators (hehehe)

Module 2-Further Electronics
Sequential logic, Counters, Advanced amplifiers, Filters, Power amplifiers

Coursework-Project
Students design, Construct and test a circuit of your own choice

Now that is this year's syllabus so it may change by the time you do A/S electronics but that should give you an idea. If you wish me to tell you more PM me

Last edited by [BBF]Snake (2006-08-31 14:47:46)

Crestfallen
+27|6491|England, Leicester
Well guys good luck when you do start your A/S levels, they are a whole new ball game.  Just finished mine and got an A in English lit, A in Graphics and B in History.  Did do Chemistry but lets not talk about that .

From what I know from my friends, I.T. and Business are both good subjects if you can get your head around the base material.  As for electronics, we don't do it here, but it's going to be like other A/S levels in terms of the workload and standards.  There is more work but its usually in managable chunks, just make sure you do it and understand it and not play so much BF2 .

Main thing is, don't worry about it, and go with it.  You might be shocked with the grades you get at first, but they are there to be built on.  My friend never got anything higher than a C in his History essays and got an A in his finals.  But take your time, and everything will go well.  Good luck in your subjects guys.

Crestfallen
[BBF]Snake
+16|6680|England
Heh I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths (stats and Mechanics). And TY for the good luck and advice
Crestfallen
Ah, your one of those clever people I've heard so much about!
Nice lists of subjects though, from what I know Biology and Chem really compliment each other, you can expect to see a bit of cross over between the two.  Physics, ack, my friends don't like that one, and as for maths, you should enjoy that as well.  You will have probably met a little of it from GCSE, but there is a lot more to discover this time round.

Just ask if you have any other questions.

Crestfallen
sgt_rambo35
Banned
+5|6507
ill do electroincs , i.t  and business see how it goes
[BBF]Snake
+16|6680|England
Rambo have you done your GCSEs yet, or are you doing them? And if I have any more Q's crestfallen I'll PM you, thnx man +1 for your help
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6716|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I wish schools taught common sence.   As a 31 year old business owner Ive seen kids come and go here 99% have lacked common sence and being able to interact with adults.  There again the same can be said by kids about us adults.

School; Its a bit like driving, you only learn once you have passed your test.
[BBF]Snake
+16|6680|England

1927 wrote:

I wish schools taught common sence.   As a 31 year old business owner Ive seen kids come and go here 99% have lacked common sence and being able to interact with adults.  There again the same can be said by kids about us adults.

Hehehe well I have good common sense and I know what you mean about it. There is a guy at our school/6th form who is academically sound but has no common sense whatsoever, doesn't watch the news and formulates his opinions on what his parents tell him. Academically he may be better than me as he has the will to revise etc, but when it comes to common sense and current affairs I'd say even a chav knows better

EDIT:Grammatical error

Last edited by [BBF]Snake (2006-09-01 04:20:00)

Crestfallen

1927 wrote:

QFE

There really is a difference in the social interaction levels of adults and kids, which is a real shame sometimes because it can stop good work from being made.  At my school, all the teachers encourage us to use their first names, and we treat each other like there in our peer group.  It helps prepare you really for how you need to act around them.  It helps to teach you to be polite and know how to act and when to act in certain situations.  That said, even for me in the last year of collage, its a very strange feeling, because usually I've always called them Sir or Miss out of respect.
However, learning to interact is just one of those things which you have to learn and grow used to.

Nice to know about your experience though 1927, thanks for the point of view. 
sgt_rambo35
Banned
+5|6507
yes i have just got my gcse results 2 A 5 B 4 C. I want to work between lessons as a administrative staff/webmaster for a company so im going to be on a busy schedule this year.

Less time for BF2, less time for computing as a whole:(

do you think electronics would suit my liking? I like playing inside a computer and electric stuff. Is there good opportunities for progession in a computing career if i choose it?

Teachers want me to pick geography instead, what use has that when i build pc's
Crestfallen
You should do whatever you feel most comfortable in.  If you are good at geography and have an interest in it, then go for it.  However, because you seem to like computing so much, and you are starting at what seems like a good basing for it in I.T. you should be able to progress.  However, there is a lot more to it then meets the eye.  Doing an A/S level is like a foundation which you build upon and gain knowledge, and get better with time.  However, its when you go to university that the real test begins, because this is where you learn so much more and build up your skills.  My advice on top of doing the course you like is try and get work experience in the field of your liking too.  That way when your older, because you did a focused I.T. course and have previous experience, companies will be more interested in hiring you.

Hope that helps

Crestfallen

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard