Russkie17
+4|6463|Houston, Texas
they're taking away stat support for BF2? If they do that, it would be like kicking themselves in the balls. BF2 is already well established, with more and more people joining every day.

I don't understand these people. They pull random crap that makes no sense.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

Russkie17 wrote:

they're taking away stat support for BF2? If they do that, it would be like kicking themselves in the balls. BF2 is already well established, with more and more people joining every day.

I don't understand these people. They pull random crap that makes no sense.
They're not, that part is a hoax.  They knew it would be like kicking themselves in the balls, so they're not doing it. 

Why not have in-game ads?  As long as they don't screw up the game in any way, shape or form, they have every right to do so.  Unless it turns into a Nascar kinda thing..... then that would be kinda bad. 

I can just picture a Budweiser Titan..... along with Netscape, Miller Lite, etc..... lol
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
If it makes the game cheaper then I will gladly slap a coke bumper sticker on my Mech. But knowing EA that will never happen. I thing they are so out for cash that they may resort to putting in adds for QuakeWars and UT2007, if that happens I would be happy to have adds in BF2142.
Eugefunk84
+48|6535

Aruba-Prime wrote:

This server crash was brought to you by Diet Coke....
hahaha, +1 for you sir
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

thats sweet. Doesnt suprise me. Maybe with that extra revenue they can pay better programmers to make a patch thats worth half a dogs runny shit.

The ads in games wher ads would appear (sports arenas) wouldnt bother me. But in 2142, the ads for 2006 products will ruin some aspects of the game. 

I bet that there will be "patches" for the game that merely change billboards for new endorsements once the origonal ones expire....
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

RoosterCantrell wrote:

I bet that there will be "patches" for the game that merely change billboards for new endorsements once the origonal ones expire....
Depends how it's done. Much of what I've seen about in-game advertising suggests that there'll be an ad-server that the ads are pushed from. So, as you connect to the EA server, or maybe whilst the map is loading, it'll also be downloading a fresh set of ads from the ad-server - meaning the ads will change every time you load the game/map.
~Solar~Fire~
+45|6649|Austin, TX
Well everything will have an effect on the game in some way or another. I, for one, do want want to waste bandwidth downloading this crap; BF2 had enough netcode problems as it is.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
I will miss you, DICEcream
asbad
+19|6722|Ireland
Ya advertising in-game has been around for a good while. I remember 'Destruction Derby' having adverts plastered all over the place but think they were simply the developers logos.

Any one who has player 'Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter', would have noticed the proper in-game advertising. The advert was for 'AXE' otherwise known as 'LYNX' which is the famous brand of deodorant which was shown on some of the buildings in the game.

If i won the lottery I would buy those advertising slots on Bf2142 to relay messages like "Nyte is a Camping Sniping basterd!" (No offence Nyte). Other wise it does piss me off the fact that i have to download more crap while EA make money off it. And i highly doubt that extra revenue would be spent reducing game price or better patches.
DirtyMexican
I knife Generals
+278|6538|Search Whore killing fields
As long as theres boobies
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

If it makes the game cheaper then I will gladly slap a coke bumper sticker on my Mech. But knowing EA that will never happen. I thing they are so out for cash that they may resort to putting in adds for QuakeWars and UT2007, if that happens I would be happy to have adds in BF2142.
It will make games cheaper. But not for us.

You see the cost of game development is rising every year. There's two ways they can pay for those increasing costs - by charging us more, or by using things like in-game advertising to raise extra revenue.

I five years time, all big budget games will have ads, so much so that we usually won't even notice them, and we'll still be paying the same retail price for a game, but we'll be getting so much more bang for our buck.
Zefar
+116|6650|Sweden
IF it's about game ads I won't bother that much but if they bring all those normal ads like shampoo and you name it I'm so gonna hate those ads. >.>

If a game should have an add in them it's gonna be about games and nothing else.
Flyboy63
+8|6705|South Australia
Didnt they have ads in NFS:HS which came out in like 1999?
Flyboy63
+8|6705|South Australia

Zefar wrote:

IF it's about game ads I won't bother that much but if they bring all those normal ads like shampoo and you name it I'm so gonna hate those ads. >.>
lol..yea whats the bet the future SIMS games are full of ads for tampons...
Simon Moon
+13|6671|Canada
I got a chance to talk to Kristoff Bergqvist from DICE Sweden about two weeks ago. The in game ads were one of the things we talked about. For one, the ads are static textures in your Battlefield. They will not load during the game, ever. Also the ads are controlled by EA, to ensure that the ads are either future styled or are so generic that they will easy fit into the future setting. In short, not disturb the future feeling you have playing the game. There are many places in many levels where they can place those ads. Funny thing is i noticed them adding more places from Beta 1 to Beta 2. But for example in a close city level like Fall of Berlin, you see more ads than on an open space one as in Sidi Power Plant.

I would cry wolf until you have seen it in the game. And as others mentioned before, there has been a huge load of ads in so many games already, that i find it kind of funny that all of a sudden everyone is crying out.
starman7
+15|6726
I'm for a McDonalds ad.  I am convinced that that chain will last forever!  McD for 2142!

Honestly, 99% of this thread is rumor and speculation.  The only hard facts have come in from Simon Moon and the OP.

As for in-game advertising, if it doesn't seem out-of-place too badly, it's fine with me.  Even with humanity fighting for the last remaining land, resturants will be fighting for the last remaining customers.

And... I hope the money they get from this goes to good use.
Simon Moon
+13|6671|Canada
They already said, they will use those funds to improve their work. So consider that they only had very little funds for Special Forces (it was written before the main game was out) and the booster packs as well. Now imagine they actually do have funds, that keep coming every month. We have had 2 maps released to the public from official sources in one year. We could have a lot more, and a lot better quality with the funding they have avaialble. Also waiting for patches so damn long could be cut down through better funding. This is a good thing for everyone who like BF2142 and also BF2 (or how you think they gonna finaince future patches on that one?).
ne_ohio_guy
+0|6452
Hmmm, can't keep a server connection as it is, various visual glitches, patches that don't fix bugs, I know, let's put ads in the games, too!

As for AO's ad campaign, it's annoying also, and it didn't bring in more paying customers, all it did was let in ranks of morons that wrecked the game for the people who already paid for it.

Why should I pay $50 for a game that can't be played, bug free, *and* have to have my game play interrupted with advertising to boot?
Simon Moon
+13|6671|Canada
I must say i am impressed with the work they have put so far into BF2142. When i compare BF2142 with BF2 then BF2 is like an early alpha of BF2142. There were a lot of bugs in beta 1 and also still a lot in beta 2. I also got to see more details and hear reports i can't tell you about in detail for the internal test versions. They are working very hard on it. Improvments are written all over. Always keep in mind, it is money that drives them to do these things. Once its sold, they could just forget about it. Those ads keep giving them an income and this will in turn also help them put more money into the support.

This "have my game play interrupted with advertising" is an old fish. It not only is stinking but has rotted away for so long that its now soil and a tree has grown out of it with many leaves that make a lot of noise. Ingame advertisemnt has been there for a long time. How any games you remember you seen a coke machine or a pepsi sign? Some ads for one company or another? Car games with not only ads around the curcuit, but the logo of the company in high res printed on the car?

The ads in BF2142 are mostly good placed, you will notice them as an obstacle, a bill board that wont allow you to drive through it, or something slapped on a wall or a container. The ads are not loaded dynamically, so your gameplay will suffer not at all from it. They will not jump at you screaming click me, becuase there is no such thing implemented. At this point it seems they are not even animated (but this has not been decided on yet as far as i got told).

I suggest to ait with screaming bloddy murderer about the ads until you have seen it ingame, live how it will be. You can be pretty sure you will see it in the demo and of course wou will see it on a few million screenshots all over the place once the game is out.
killaer
+41|6719
Because in this futuristic war, where 2 forces are competing for territory so the ice age doesn't kill them off, there is still space to put in adverteisments for EA's next video game.
Disodium
+13|6515|Sydney
I see it as a positive thing,
Ads = Revenue = Either cheaper store cost or revenue to support people to produce add-ons / enhancements or patches.
Im sure they are intelligent enough to not over do the ad's.

*Waits for the demo*
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6657|Brisbane, Australia

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

I will miss you, DICEcream
Dont worry, you still have Dicesprerin and Hepititis C!!

You'll understand when you get the game........
zer0fus10n
+14|6513
Fuck Ea.
zer0fus10n
+14|6513
Lol, Ok honoustly how much will this benefite the buisnesses advertising here really, if your going to put the ads in the game stopping us playing with a (close this advertisement box) then how many milli seconds before the gamer closes it then stops to read and think hmmm, because i bought bf2142 i should go and buy a Coke. OH YEAH
Simon Moon
+13|6671|Canada

zer0fus10n wrote:

Lol, Ok honoustly how much will this benefite the buisnesses advertising here really, if your going to put the ads in the game stopping us playing with a (close this advertisement box) then how many milli seconds before the gamer closes it then stops to read and think hmmm, because i bought bf2142 i should go and buy a Coke. OH YEAH
Again a missconception. The ads are on billboards inside the game. You can see them in various different locations. There are no "popups" or the like.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard