Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6744|Hamburg, Germany
edit: English link http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34837

http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes … _2142.html
According to the German games mag Gamestar there will be commercial ads in the game.

Google translation:
Battlefield 2142  31.08.2006, 13:26 and Need for speed with Ingame advertisement new    Electronics kind sets from now on strengthened on dynamically delivered Ingame advertisement in plays. The technical conversion takes over the advertising-marked out IGA and the Microsoft subsidiary massifs. Battlefield 2142Battlefield 2142    The beginning does not make in October Battlefield with advertisement of IGA alleged is the advertisement disturbing to arise: The programmers of the play of digitally illusion speak of a “realistic mark operational readiness level, which is built into play environments fitting the context”. Later in the year Need follows for speed: Carbon, whose advertisement of massifs comes.    The advantage for the advertising customer with Ingame advertisement is that it can switch world-wide campaigns. The world-wide market operational readiness level of plays is exceeded at present only by films. The advertisement is however not by the dynamic distribution as with films eternally fixed and can also in different countries to the local conditions adapt. Besides IGA and massifs measure also the effectiveness of the advertisement: Thus for example the viewing time is stored. Already Codemasters and Atari decided last for IGA as advertisement Dienstleister.    (cm)

I'm speechless....

Last edited by Aruba-Prime (2006-08-31 07:07:15)

imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
Yeah, I've noticed them....anything to make money on this poor futuristic game.
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]

imdead wrote:

are they ingame (instead of the dicecream) or in the menus?
Aust1mh
+23|6538|Sydney, Australia

imdead wrote:

I have seen that before... can't get enough adds.

I bet anyone that it will be the 1 thing they never patch F@CK...
you might not get a connection.... but you'll have heeps of adds
to watch!
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
This server crash was brought to you by Diet Coke....
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
interesting
Aust1mh
+23|6538|Sydney, Australia

Aruba-Prime wrote:

This server crash was brought to you by Diet Coke....
"Go drink a diet coke, your pc will be busy re-starting from the crash to desktop"

"BF2142 patch 1.1 may have f@cked the game but all long as you buying diet coke
we don't give a toss!"
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6622
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34837 better link.

Adverts in 2142? Another reason for me not to play it, they keep making it less and less appealing as a game.
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6745|EUR
Im not suprised.

LOL @ "This server crash was brought to you by diet coke!"

Last edited by MuseSeeker (2006-08-31 08:31:03)

Nintendogamer
+72|6557|Chelmsford, UK
lol, i in-game adverts should only stick to sport games, not FPS. mind you Burnout 3 had adverts for batlefield moderncombat and tiger woods.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6435|Melbourne - Home of Football
Here's an article by Wade Steel from IGN on EA's commitment to  "dynamic advertising" premiering with, of course, BF2142

http://pc.ign.com/articles/729/729661p1.html
d3x74
+14|6616|NY
They expect us to pay full price for a shoddy bf2 mod that has ads in it? And what the hell are 2005 ads doing in the year 2142?

Quakewars where art thou!
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

You've been awarded with the "Pepsi Generation Ad Ribbon" ... IAR: Watch 10 pepsi ads
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Better yet, put a text on a billboard that only apears for low quality .... "If you can read this you need a new video card, shoot here now" (browser opens to <card maker site here>)
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6627|San Francisco, CA
game companies been doing this for a few years now, it's nothing new at all.

Last edited by MURcarnage (2006-08-31 10:24:11)

Raxor
Enemy Boat Spotted
+17|6814|United Kingdom
just block the ip in the hosts file
bEAv3D
+24|6664|Fayettenam, NC USA
I say as long as I don't have to sit through 5 minutes of ads before the game loads, then I'm cool with it.  I say why not?  They aren't hurting anything by putting some billboards up in game.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
The game seems on I think Silo 2 there is a massive wall of the ads! Jiminy..  Might as well put the Walker with ads on it to look like a NASCAR function. (btw NASCAR isn't a sport)
Mr.Warner
+20|6612
So let me get this strait, , ,

--In game Adds
--Masive Bugs (I am already willing to bet this will be the case)
--A fanbase that is jaded and just not there, because of the prior issues
--Taking player stat support away from a game which is already way more popular because the only way that you are going to get people to play is to make it impossible to play the prior one. . .

Sounds like a big goose egg to me.

EA gets a middle finger and that is it, because they sure as shit are not getting any more of my money.
Disodium
+13|6483|Sydney
I have seen this on other games..
In game billboards, monitors looping very short videos, posters on the wall for other games...

In my opinion, this will prolly be what will fund the further patches to support this game.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34837 better link.

Adverts in 2142? Another reason for me not to play it, they keep making it less and less appealing as a game.
You'll not be playing many games in the near future then.

Whatever your view of them, in-games ads are the future I'm afraid.

In my opinion, it's a good thing - particularly if the ad revenue goes to the developers (which in EAs case, it probably won't, but meh...) - anyway, game development is getting more and more expensive all the time and the more ways they find to cover the expense, without increasing what we consumers pay, the better.
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6733

I personally like in game ads when they lend realism to the game. There's something about vending machines displaying a coke or sprite logo in a FPS that makes me smile, as opposed to "Dice Pop" or "EA Fizz" or some BS fake thing like that. There's also the billboards in racing games and such that provide an extra detail in the world to look for. Or in sports games, I love checking out the ads on the sides of the stadium or whatever. The real world is full of ads everywhere you look, and adding these into a game doesn't have to be a bad thing.

As long as they don't get annoying and don't interfere with the game itself, I like to see what cool things advertising people create to make their ads better.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6745
Yes, because we all know EA needs more money.
Disodium
+13|6483|Sydney
- There seems to be a problem with your connection - While your waiting why not grab a refreshing COKE -

And i was so trying to find where to purchase Dicecream

Last edited by Disodium (2006-08-31 17:30:44)

-MP-Nuke1266
+20|6685
I'm fine with it as long as it doean't affect performance.....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard