chittydog
less busy
+586|6843|Kubra, Damn it!

Lawk, kill explorer.exe? Seriously? Play nicely. ;-)

Sinn, try this. My machine kinda blows too and these tweaks helped quite a bit. In your video options within BF2, set Overall Quality to Low, then make sure that Anti-Aliasing is turned Off. That will help quite a bit. The two other most important settings are View Distance Scale and Geometry. These two control how far away you're able to see vehicles, troops, etc, and will make a huge difference on big maps like Kubra Damn or when you're in a heli or jet. Set View Distance Scale to 100% and Geometry to Medium. Keep everything else on Low. The other things like Dynamic Light, Geometry and Shadows just make the game pretty. Personally, I get more enjoyment from a higher score than from nifty looking shadows.
Jodah3
+1|6747
It sounds like you're doing everything you can with your current hardware setup. 

Quick answer to one of your initial questions:  Everything in task manager in your user name group besides explorer.exe can be ended.  Leave the system and networking processes alone.

This was mentioned before, but I'll reiterate the steps as well: Start->Run->msconfig.  Then 'Startup' tab and click either 'Disable All' or choose manually.  This will basically prevent most of those processes from starting automatically each time you boot up and save you from going into task manager each time.  You can always manually start them later.

Just a tip for your future upgrading, see if you can get your hands on XP pro.  XP home is horrendous in comparison.  Happy gaming.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6795|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
Read yas comments, gents i'll put a proper reply together when i get back frm pub.
Lawk
+2|6782

chittydog wrote:

Lawk, kill explorer.exe? Seriously? Play nicely. ;-)
Explorer.exe is not needed to run BF2.  End the process and restart it again after your done playing all using task manager.  Instead of having explorer running in the background I use Program Manager (progman.exe).  Takes much less memory.  Try it out. You'll see that I am absolutely correct.
Lawk
+2|6782

Jodah3 wrote:

It sounds like you're doing everything you can with your current hardware setup. 

Quick answer to one of your initial questions:  Everything in task manager in your user name group besides explorer.exe can be ended.  Leave the system and networking processes alone.

This was mentioned before, but I'll reiterate the steps as well: Start->Run->msconfig.  Then 'Startup' tab and click either 'Disable All' or choose manually.  This will basically prevent most of those processes from starting automatically each time you boot up and save you from going into task manager each time.  You can always manually start them later.

Just a tip for your future upgrading, see if you can get your hands on XP pro.  XP home is horrendous in comparison.  Happy gaming.
I wouldn't use msconfig if I were you.  Use services.msc instead. Trust me.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6764|NH - USA
I have a Dell also. (5100) You can get drivers and such at the Dell website. You might have to make an account, but its free and worth it for the drivers and the tech forums. You might allready have one if you bought it online. (?)

As far as overclocking, I wouldnt go there. Not worth the hassle or the risk.

Ok, now how about a sip of that whiskey? 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard