Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Well the paint job sucks but everything else in it pretty much kicks ass .
http://www.slizone.com/docs/IO/34515/MaxPC_Sept_DM.pdf
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=TH=[Eleanor]-NL-
The Karma Collector!
+233|6661|The Netherlands
Noooooothing compared to my machine..............
_-_911_-_180891
+540|6473|Shanghai, ethnicity=German

=TH=[Eleanor]-NL- wrote:

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

_-_911_-_180891 wrote:

=TH=[Eleanor]-NL- wrote:

By all means share with us..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
Thats a pretty nice machine but the paint job does stink
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

My favorite part is on Page 5.. "The CPU wars haven't seen this kind of all-out-ass kicking in the last decade. The original Athlon 64-FX 51 was fast when it launched, but it didn't put the hurt on the Pentium 4 like this.".
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6665|Mountains of West Virginia
Very nice machine. A bit suprised at the 2GB RAM, I know it is more practical, and 4 GB is overkill, but it is a dream machine lol.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
indeed^
LoonykStephane
+34|6507|Kingston,Ontario,Canada
Damn right 2G is standard...not for a dream machine!!!
Nice peice of kit assemble in these pages BUT...Most of us don't need this kind of beast.
I got : Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe(AM2) AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(2.2GHz) 2X1024mb OCZ Gold edition Match Pair kit (DDR2 667)...my Leadtek 7600GS is good enough until the new generation(DX10) come out...
I pay $1035.87 CDN for this...and my friend already say it's overkilling
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
going beyond 2gbs is kinda iffy though, in some cases 4gb actually decreases preformance, look at some benchmarks you'll see what i mean, its kinda wierd, but what is that case? i've been looking and cant find it anywhere online?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Vista will support between 16-32 gigs. If the ram is quality and your machine is configured right it performs well.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

going beyond 2gbs is kinda iffy though, in some cases 4gb actually decreases preformance, look at some benchmarks you'll see what i mean, its kinda wierd, but what is that case? i've been looking and cant find it anywhere online?
i believe it is a Silverstone TJ09 (brand new)
http://www.pro-clockers.com/forum/showt … 7#post3977

you dont know how much i seacrhed for this info lol

i still think the Tj07 is still a better case : \

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-08-30 22:15:27)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811163057
It was also the best of the best cases last year for them. My friend just built a machine with it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SgtSmokem
+9|6433|Hotlanta, GA
That case is U-G-L-Y, a dream machine should have a kick arse case to go with it.  Also the 5 hard drives....WTF is that, why not get 2-3 Raptors with bigger capacity.  I wont comment on the 2 Gb of Ram, if its a dream machine, go for the gusto and max that baby out.  Anyone making a dream machine would also go with better monitors as well, not bad, but again....they did say Dream Machine.

My Dream machine would have no budget, these guys obviously thought of a budget.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

SgtSmokem wrote:

That case is U-G-L-Y, a dream machine should have a kick arse case to go with it.  Also the 5 hard drives....WTF is that, why not get 2-3 Raptors with bigger capacity.  I wont comment on the 2 Gb of Ram, if its a dream machine, go for the gusto and max that baby out.  Anyone making a dream machine would also go with better monitors as well, not bad, but again....they did say Dream Machine.

My Dream machine would have no budget, these guys obviously thought of a budget.
They didn't have a budget, more than likely they didn't pay for any of it. The people that supply the parts are getting great advertising. Maximum PC is one of the most respected PC mags out there. Many places like nvidia have already posted on their site the fact that they are in thier dream machine.

As far as the case, its how effiecent the case is, not looks. Lights and stripes are reserved for kids. http://www.maximumpc.com/2006/02/silverstone_tj1.html .Look inside the case, thats where it's at. A slide out motherboard...sweet,5 12cm fans..sweet, airflow is desinged to flow smoothly throughout this whole machine (page 9).

The fastest 10k rpm raptors are at 150 gig each (Top model Raptor). That is why they were chosen.
They used 2 Dell 24 inch Ultrasharp monitors not too shabby.(Page 6) 140 mbps at 1.5 Terrabytes, holy chit!(Page 8)

These guys really know what they are doing they have been doing it for 11 years.
Read why the picked each piece of hardware, don't just glance :) .

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-08-31 00:22:17)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6494|Little blue planet, milky way
Well, I DID read why they choose each individual piece of equipment.... And I have to say I'm a little bit dissapointed also. Yeah.. they've chosen some nice ardware. But really... is THAT the hardware you "dream" of ? I mean ffs, half that crap is like.... last years models.

For one thing, why go with two monitors ? Who the f uses that ? And if you DO use two monitors, it's for extended windows desktop, NOT of games. So for one thing, there's no need to get a 24 incher on the second monitor unless you're TOTALLY near sighted. And personally, I'd rather have a 20 or 21 incher because they take up less space and the lower native res means I dont have to squint my eyes, wear glasses or sit 2 inches from the monitor to read stuff there.

And the the part about the 2 GPUS.... Really, even the total geeks and HW freaks arent bothering with SLi. the gains are terrible, and then they chose a way old card for the job anyway.... Get a decent card, and most have dual monitor ability anyway, save yourself a load of cash, and use that to go buy a Phys-x GPU instead. And why go for 512 MB GPU ? Are they just plain silly ? I mean there's no onitor even THOUGHT of that can utilize all that memory. However, it WILL cuase the memory access to get slower. IMO go for speed, and that means the card that has EXACTLY the amount you need to run YOUR monitors native res at full color.

Then the disks.... Ok, Striped raptors sounds nice...  But again.. consider speed. That board they chose is SOFTWARE RAID..... It basically SUCKS ! Trust me I know... I have machines with soft raid, and I'm gonna replace them as soon as possible. IMO get a decent controller. maybe a 3ware with 6 or 8 channels. THEN the raptors will do fine. And then they can add in disks for storage (raid5) later... But I'd NEVER EVER choose the 750 GB disks. I mean ffs, I can get 4 500 GB'ers for almost HALF what they're paying for 3 750s, and the end result in raid5 will be the same ! If I got an 8 channel controller and go for no hot spare, then I have 6 channels to get to 2 GB, meaning 6 400 GB'ers is enough, and striping across this many disks makes the array even faster... So if you would get is faster AND cheaper, why not ? It's not like the PSU can't keep up Especially now that there's a 200w GPU less to handle.

Blu-ray drive ? WHY ? I mean it costs a BUNDLE. You can BARELY get discs for it, and even if you can THEY cost a bundle also. And then it wont stop there... they want a HD-DVD drive ALSO... They're NUTS.... Get a cheap DVD-DL burner, and wait for the standard to emerge, THEN go buy the winners drive for almost nothing. After all, you're NOT gonna be USING the blu-ray or HD-DVD drives for anything anyway... With a decent controller, you dont even need to make harddrive backups. You have REDUNDANCY.

Memory... URGH.... Bad choice... I'm totally unable to find ANY corsair 1GB blocks that will run CAS2. So IMO.. Bad choce... get 4 blocks that WILL run CAS2 instead. OK, so "upgrade" will be an issue. Right... On a $10.000 budget, it's gonna be a problem to chuck memory worth $300 when we EVENTUALLY have to upgrade... I dont think so. They're being lazy, and it's just for show. So they chose what SOUNDS nice, not what is GOOD.

Creative sound card and surround speakers... Ok sure, it's nice. But whomever dreamt up this machine is gonna get his arse kicked by his wife when he brings it home ! That stuff is gonna take up SOOO much space it's either the PC or the CAR ! Add to that the extra cost, and it's a total disaster. I agree, the sound experience can differ from person to person. But unless you're gonna be using the machine to drive your home entertainment center, that's TOTALLY overkill (and even THEN you prolly have speakers already). So I'll accept the sound card if you're an audio freak and will use the PC for playing music... Otherwise I say let's save $1000 and go buy a decent pair of headphones instead !

Paint job.. sure, let's get a costum paint job for a dream machine, but I agree, not the one chosen by the geezers who wrote the article. It's an easy place to save cash though, and a DIY job makes you more attached to the PC, so if you know how, and you're willing to go for it... I say DIY.

So IMO, it's a good PC, but it's for SHOW, nothing more. It's NOT the fastest, best performing, smartest or best machine around.

So I'd like to propose saving about $5000 and getting something better and faster ! After all, a dream machine should be affordable also. Otherwise I might just run out and by one of HPs new superdome machines. It's NICE to have 64 dual core CPUs at your command, but I'll be DAMNED if I want to PAY for the shit.
Israel-bf2
+2|6427
how can i open this file??
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6594|Camp XRay

Israel-bf2 wrote:

how can i open this file??
adobe read. also why not get the 30in dell if it's a dream rig? also in my opinion silverstone case are really nice, but a bit overpriced. lian li makes awesome case, but the price points are a bit more reasonable.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Twist wrote:

Well, I DID read why they choose each individual piece of equipment.... And I have to say I'm a little bit dissapointed also. Yeah.. they've chosen some nice ardware. But really... is THAT the hardware you "dream" of ? I mean ffs, half that crap is like.... last years models.

For one thing, why go with two monitors ? Who the f uses that ? And if you DO use two monitors, it's for extended windows desktop, NOT of games. So for one thing, there's no need to get a 24 incher on the second monitor unless you're TOTALLY near sighted. And personally, I'd rather have a 20 or 21 incher because they take up less space and the lower native res means I dont have to squint my eyes, wear glasses or sit 2 inches from the monitor to read stuff there.

And the the part about the 2 GPUS.... Really, even the total geeks and HW freaks arent bothering with SLi. the gains are terrible, and then they chose a way old card for the job anyway.... Get a decent card, and most have dual monitor ability anyway, save yourself a load of cash, and use that to go buy a Phys-x GPU instead. And why go for 512 MB GPU ? Are they just plain silly ? I mean there's no onitor even THOUGHT of that can utilize all that memory. However, it WILL cuase the memory access to get slower. IMO go for speed, and that means the card that has EXACTLY the amount you need to run YOUR monitors native res at full color.

Then the disks.... Ok, Striped raptors sounds nice...  But again.. consider speed. That board they chose is SOFTWARE RAID..... It basically SUCKS ! Trust me I know... I have machines with soft raid, and I'm gonna replace them as soon as possible. IMO get a decent controller. maybe a 3ware with 6 or 8 channels. THEN the raptors will do fine. And then they can add in disks for storage (raid5) later... But I'd NEVER EVER choose the 750 GB disks. I mean ffs, I can get 4 500 GB'ers for almost HALF what they're paying for 3 750s, and the end result in raid5 will be the same ! If I got an 8 channel controller and go for no hot spare, then I have 6 channels to get to 2 GB, meaning 6 400 GB'ers is enough, and striping across this many disks makes the array even faster... So if you would get is faster AND cheaper, why not ? It's not like the PSU can't keep up Especially now that there's a 200w GPU less to handle.

Blu-ray drive ? WHY ? I mean it costs a BUNDLE. You can BARELY get discs for it, and even if you can THEY cost a bundle also. And then it wont stop there... they want a HD-DVD drive ALSO... They're NUTS.... Get a cheap DVD-DL burner, and wait for the standard to emerge, THEN go buy the winners drive for almost nothing. After all, you're NOT gonna be USING the blu-ray or HD-DVD drives for anything anyway... With a decent controller, you dont even need to make harddrive backups. You have REDUNDANCY.

Memory... URGH.... Bad choice... I'm totally unable to find ANY corsair 1GB blocks that will run CAS2. So IMO.. Bad choce... get 4 blocks that WILL run CAS2 instead. OK, so "upgrade" will be an issue. Right... On a $10.000 budget, it's gonna be a problem to chuck memory worth $300 when we EVENTUALLY have to upgrade... I dont think so. They're being lazy, and it's just for show. So they chose what SOUNDS nice, not what is GOOD.

Creative sound card and surround speakers... Ok sure, it's nice. But whomever dreamt up this machine is gonna get his arse kicked by his wife when he brings it home ! That stuff is gonna take up SOOO much space it's either the PC or the CAR ! Add to that the extra cost, and it's a total disaster. I agree, the sound experience can differ from person to person. But unless you're gonna be using the machine to drive your home entertainment center, that's TOTALLY overkill (and even THEN you prolly have speakers already). So I'll accept the sound card if you're an audio freak and will use the PC for playing music... Otherwise I say let's save $1000 and go buy a decent pair of headphones instead !

Paint job.. sure, let's get a costum paint job for a dream machine, but I agree, not the one chosen by the geezers who wrote the article. It's an easy place to save cash though, and a DIY job makes you more attached to the PC, so if you know how, and you're willing to go for it... I say DIY.

So IMO, it's a good PC, but it's for SHOW, nothing more. It's NOT the fastest, best performing, smartest or best machine around.

So I'd like to propose saving about $5000 and getting something better and faster ! After all, a dream machine should be affordable also. Otherwise I might just run out and by one of HPs new superdome machines. It's NICE to have 64 dual core CPUs at your command, but I'll be DAMNED if I want to PAY for the shit.
Can you be specific as to the brands of hardware you would rather use? You said at first that they obviously had a budget in mind and then you said they were wasting money in your reply on stuff like Blu-Ray. I don't doubt that there are better parts out there, I am just curios as to what you would exchange (Specifically). I think everyone's dream machine is different. I was just trying to say they put some bitching components in it.

As far as the monitor, it is very nice . I have the very same one and no I'm not near sighted..lol. You just have to have a big desk where you can set it back a bit and enjoy it. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id … amp;size=o

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-09-02 00:02:29)

Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard