No, I don't believe but get dragged to Church2%2% - 13
Yes, I believe and don't go to Church20%20% - 88
I'm an Athiest - booyah26%26% - 116
I know there's something out there..16%16% - 71
Nothing is out there14%14% - 65
Total: 436
JaMDuDe
+69|6786
Spear i took what cameron wrote and reworded it to get my point across. I didnt actually mean all atheists are mentally challenged. But there is always an atheist asking "if God made the universe then who made God?" in almost every topic about this subject. You should read more of the thread before posting.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-08-30 13:52:53)

lord_tyler_486
+54|6761|Upper Franconia
I don't. People in the past saw things that they just couldn't explain. For example, the Egyptians watched the sun rising every morning. That made them just think wtfisgoingon? Sooner or later, they realized that they could never affect this happening and nothing they knew until then could also, so it must be something higher. But what?? They didn't knew anything bigger and better than the human race itself. So they just made up their own explanations. And these are gods. A god makes the sun moving, yeah that makes sense indeed. Again and again because the god likes us right? Duh, but if he doesn't?? We have to make him liking us! Give him loads of presents and build temples ans BLAH. And then there are so many other things that were done by gods for the Egyptians. And then some of them doubted the statement that gods make the sun rising and the stars appearing and such, they finally researched the Stars and even found out some things about other planets. But never enough to prove that all the god thoughts were wrong. Today we know that the planets rotate and move around the sun, and even the sun itself moves, and so does our galaxy, we know so many things but it's still not enough to PROVE that the god thoughts are wrong. There are three options: The science really proves everything and all people forget about gods, the science proves everything but people still believe for some reason [conservative people etc] OR the science does never prove everthing entirely and the god thoughts were RIGHT somehow! I'd prefer the first possibility too.

Last edited by lord_tyler_486 (2006-08-30 13:55:28)

EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6560|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

jollyrodger wrote:

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

Then god should have made the bible clearer or us less stupid.
It was Written by man not God
Apparently God is working on another book on the back of the success of his last bestseller. It's gonna be called 'The Bible II: This time IT'S PERSONAL!'. It's a collaborative effort with Dan Brown.
LoL

...though I'm not sure David Icke would approve of being ripped off again ;-)
Stalker-NSDQ
SOUL * REAPER
+24|6563|Germany
Oh HELL NAW !!!! I just believe what I see !!! IF THERE WOULD BE A GOD OUT THERE WHERE IS HE TO PREVENT ALL THE BAD STUFF ??? THE DEVIL MUST RULE THE WORLD, SO IT SEEMS !!!

OOH-RA
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

JaMDuDe wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Yeah NOW there's an interesting question:

If god created the universe then .... who created god???????
God doesnt need a creator. Hes not physically in this universe so the rules dont apply to him. This is a concept that you cranially challenged atheists find difficult to comprehend.
Oh yeah I forgot about the rules. Silly me. Do you have a link to them by any chance, I think I deleted the bookmark. Do you mind telling me where God is by the way? I couldn't get him on his mobile number.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-30 15:25:15)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6635|Sea to globally-cooled sea

bobby177 wrote:

I really dont know but I have been heavily leaning towards no for my whole life.

I don't want to waste all those hours and days praying for.... nothing. I just need some proof.
here's my thought: if you're praying and it's for nothing, then what's the real loss?

however, if you're not praying but there is infact something, that could end up pretty bad......

I am a Roman Catholic Christian.
I spent a semester in the seminary to see if the priesthood was right for me.  I instead have since gotten married, but I hold a fantastic amount of respect and love for the men of the cloth because of my short but meaningful time studying there.
In college I double-majored in Religious Studies (concentration in Christian Tradition) and Catholic Studies.

I don't just blindly believe.  I like to know WHY i should believe what I'm supposed to believe.  I think that one cannot seriously be critical or make an honest decision about anything without first educating himself on the topic first.

Christianity, when applied the way it is intended, is liberating rather than constricting.
GhostStalker0
I like pie
+29|6486|San Diego, CA
There is no god, everything is controlled by the Matrix!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

GhostStalker0 wrote:

Within an hour you'll have some godboy telling you that 'Maybe God invented the matrix ha?'. To which you'll respond, 'The Matrix is fictional, please refrain from posting in future.'
JaMDuDe
+69|6786

CameronPoe wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Yeah NOW there's an interesting question:

If god created the universe then .... who created god???????
God doesnt need a creator. Hes not physically in this universe so the rules dont apply to him. This is a concept that you cranially challenged atheists find difficult to comprehend.
Oh yeah I forgot about the rules. Silly me. Do you have a link to them by any chance, I think I deleted the bookmark. Do you mind telling me where God is by the way? I couldn't get him on his mobile number.
I meant everything needs a first cause by "the rules", but you dont believe that anyway. No i dont have Gods cell number. Ill try to find it for you.
jonsimon
+224|6504

JaMDuDe wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

I meant everything needs a first cause by "the rules", but you dont believe that anyway. No i dont have Gods cell number. Ill try to find it for you.
Rules? What are you smoking?

A common argument for creationism is that the universe couldn't pop out of thin air, the same argument can apply to any god.
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6553
Someone was wanting God's cell number.

Just use the Bible for that.  He will answer right away.
Phrozenbot
+632|6624|do not disturb

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

In God We Trust
Masonic God right?

CameronPoe wrote:

GhostStalker0 wrote:

Within an hour you'll have some godboy telling you that 'Maybe God invented the matrix ha?'. To which you'll respond, 'The Matrix is fictional, please refrain from posting in future.'
Either way, God loves you.

Last edited by Hellogoodsir (2006-08-30 19:49:38)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
Avioid twisting words such as this "divine intelligence" when it is simple belief.
Somehow, people will believe other unexplainable events without proof but a god is too much for them. Science has done nothing to conclusively prove there is or is not a god in existence. People such as yourself will not accept the unexplainable and pass it off as logic when there is no conclusion. Thought of the day, though- atheism is still a minority, so these are some pretty big arguements right here.
jonsimon
+224|6504

DesertFox423 wrote:

Avioid twisting words such as this "divine intelligence" when it is simple belief.
Somehow, people will believe other unexplainable events without proof but a god is too much for them. Science has done nothing to conclusively prove there is or is not a god in existence. People such as yourself will not accept the unexplainable and pass it off as logic when there is no conclusion. Thought of the day, though- atheism is still a minority, so these are some pretty big arguements right here.
Science, logic, and reasoning have never been unable to explain anything given the proper information. Religion often relies on trust rather than explanation.

Atheism is a minority, but the average Joe in western civilization doesn't lead his everyday life based on religious beliefs.
DesertFox-
I agree a person will not wake up and say "Hmmm, what does God want me to do today?" but religious beliefs and moral standards are often similar, if not the same. Check out the laws of society in comparison to the Ten Commandments. Sure, you can't get arrested for coveting anything or not going to church (not nowadays, but "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!") but I implore you, think about it. Promotion of peace and tolerance and such are core pieces of the pie that is religion. I'm getting off topic and away from the religion I am knowledgeable about, so I shall stop here.
sidious1
+15|6550
Wow Poe, you are certainly on a tear. Now if it was about the poor palestenians or the down trodden Iranians, or the cubans we were discusing you would be awight, but no its about God and "Poe is Pissed". "Oh no, not another discussion about GOD, what about my friends in the middle east" whaaaa! STFU. I am ashamed to call you a fellow Irishman. Yer a plonker. Go hang out with your friends in the middel east. I am sure they would love to hear you scream "Oh God" as they use the rusty bread knife on yer rusty head.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

Mike_J wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Do you mind explaining a little more? Universes appearing from nothing and flowers growing arent quite the same thing. What natural cause makes a universe appear?
Newsflash: how about the possibility that the universe ALWAYS existed, a concept  that we mere cranially challenged humans find difficult to comprehend.
Explain how the universe has always existed through scientific means.
As soon as you explain the existence of an intangible 'being' such as 'god', through scientific means. I love the way many of us simple humans insist on the fact something has to start when in fact it is equally possible that it exists perpetually.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6761|Upper Franconia

G3|Genius wrote:

here's my thought: if you're praying and it's for nothing, then what's the real loss?
The loss is time, the most valuable thing in life.

Mike_J wrote:

Be careful with these "Explain Hows". A thousand years ago the humans thought the earth is flat. Today we would probably call such people stupid. Maybe in another millennium it's proven through science that the universe has always existed. And these people will think we were the stupid ones.
Sacula
+0|6458
God doesn't exist, only red necks believe that. And we are better off without him/her anyway. No god, less rules.
Oh and god has a tiny wang.

there...that should stir things up a bit
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564
What separates the generalised deity 'god' from the likes of Aphrodite, Athena, Zeus, Mars, Mercury, etc.? Why doesn't everyone believe in Poseidon? There's no difference between any of them - the existence of any of these deities is equally as defensible as that of the christian concept of 'god' or the judeo-islam concept of 'god'.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-31 03:12:05)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Mike_J wrote:

OK. Not difficult at all. Special and general relativity support the notion of 4-dmensional space-time. This means that time and space are intriniscly linked, without space there is no time. At the Big Bang itself the universe is thought to have had zero size, hence zero space. Without space there can be no time and hence no moment of creation.

Therefore the universe has always been.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6838

Mike_J wrote:

Science is constantly changing too.  Sometimes what was fact yesterday isn't today.  Alot of science is theory.  Society has become too reliant on science.  We don't bash science for having completely different answers to questions from one day to the next, so how come this is the case with religion?  Just because you may not agree with a belief that's hundreds or even thousands of years old, doesn't mean your alternative way of thinking has to be purely scientific.  People need to learn how to find a balance between the two.  It's only either or because for some strange reason we tell ourselves that.  Religious beliefs can progress too is what I'm trying to get at.  If God is so awesome in power (which I believe is true) like many religions preach, then do you honestly think our mere human minds can comprehend spiritual truth so easily?
The thing about religion changing is it says that God with his incomprehensible power was actually wrong about something and we were right. Either that or the religious teachings aren't the word of god therefore are inherently flawed and all the people yapping on about how all the old testament was word for word truth are wrong.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

Mike_J wrote:

Science is constantly changing too.  Sometimes what was fact yesterday isn't today.  Alot of science is theory.  Society has become too reliant on science.  We don't bash science for having completely different answers to questions from one day to the next, so how come this is the case with religion?  Just because you may not agree with a belief that's hundreds or even thousands of years old, doesn't mean your alternative way of thinking has to be purely scientific.  People need to learn how to find a balance between the two.  It's only either or because for some strange reason we tell ourselves that.  Religious beliefs can progress too is what I'm trying to get at.  If God is so awesome in power (which I believe is true) like many religions preach, then do you honestly think our mere human minds can comprehend spiritual truth so easily?
The thing about religion changing is it says that God with his incomprehensible power was actually wrong about something and we were right. Either that or the religious teachings aren't the word of god therefore are inherently flawed and all the people yapping on about how all the old testament was word for word truth are wrong.
That's a very good point. The problem with an all powerful entity is that so many paradoxes arise from any action they could take. The obvious example being why would it take an all powerful being 7 days to create the world? It wouldn't. Why would they need a day of rest afterwards? They wouldn't. Simple as that. Either the bible is not literally right or God is not all powerful.

I know the vast majority of Christians don't take the bible word for word, there are some that do though. The same as there are religious extremists in most religions, but with Christianity they are not looked on as being as extreme as Islamic fundamentalists for example. There is no difference.
DesertFox-
I'm still waiting for an atheist here to disprove the belief. They are the ones attacking and should provide some proof. I'm not trying to change your belief but I'd sure like one person in particular to quit his bitching. The law has the belief a suspect is innocent until proven guilty. Well, God is in existence until proven false.
BTW- None of you are the whiny atheists who say "Money has the word 'god' on it. change it!" are you? I can't stand people like that and that's why they no longer play the Battle Hymn of the Republic because it might offend somebody with the word "Him."
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6745|Salt Lake City

DesertFox423 wrote:

I'm still waiting for an atheist here to disprove the belief. They are the ones attacking and should provide some proof. I'm not trying to change your belief but I'd sure like one person in particular to quit his bitching. The law has the belief a suspect is innocent until proven guilty. Well, God is in existence until proven false.
BTW- None of you are the whiny atheists who say "Money has the word 'god' on it. change it!" are you? I can't stand people like that and that's why they no longer play the Battle Hymn of the Republic because it might offend somebody with the word "Him."
Sorry man, but science has already proven things that were thought to be attributed to God.  Where do you get off saying that anyone has to show empiracle evidence that he doesn't exist, or else he does, especially when there is not one shred of credible evidence to prove that he does.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard