SGTJones97E
+0|6806
System Specs:

P4 Prescott 3.0gHz 800FSB (running at around 47-51C under load, 34-37C at idle)
Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G  (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
ATi Radeon X800XL 256MB 8X AGP (running at about 43C at idle, dont know what at load) with the latest Catalyst drivers
SATA Raptor 10k RPM HD
2GB PC3200 Corsair RAM
Fresh load of XP
DX 9.0C

Thanks in advance, if you can help with ANY of these problems.  Please keep the responses coming.  I'm hoping some of this crap is easy stuff that just requires a few sets of brains/eyes.  I have these ?'s all over the internet and haven't had them solved yet.  Maybe here will be the first place, I dunno.  I just upgraded my computers CPU, MB, and main HD (vid card is the same), and formatted, so now i have a few craptastic problems that sprung up on me.

Problems (in order of annoyance):

1)
obviously i reformatted win xp home when i upgraded, etc. everything seems to have went perfect, EXCEPT:

i installed the Ati drivers, newest. installs fine, shows as installed fine in hardware manager. but there are two unknown devices that try to install upon startup afterwards. i have no clue what they are, but they both say they are located on Raedon, and that is the only information or clue i have.

I have attempted to uninstall, reinstall, in safe mode, standing upside down, etc, doesnt work.  then i went to ATi's site (I have an open ticket there which they have yet to respond to):

737-19730: 'Unknown Device' appears in Windows XP 64 after installing Catalyst

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
Catalyst 5.5 and higher
Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition
After installing Catalyst, an unknown device will appear on the desktop and Windows and will be unable to find an appropriate driver.
There appears to be a problem with Windows recognizing the WDM driver after Catalyst is installed.
To workaround this issue, please install Catalyst 5.4
ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.
E133934

^^^this is all i could find ont he ATi site, but it doesnt work (installing the eariler drivers). comes pretty close to my problem though.

2)  Logging in automatically.  I thought I fixed the logon so it would just log me in automatically?  nope.  when it starts up it shows the login box like it was Windows 2000 and says Administrator but wont log me on.  I have to change the title to Matthew and hit OK (which is somewhat annoying).

3)  This computer is SCREAMING fast - for me anyhow. I have never been so impressed with how fast everything in and around windows is running.

Yet when I play FEAR, it is hesitating every 10 seconds or so. not majorly, but enough to notice. just a little blip. granted, i have most of the settings turned up pretty high, but with my specs i dont think that should be a problem.  and i tried it on low, that didnt help.  fresh install.  and to answer your question i reverted back to the new catalyst drivers before i played (after troubleshooting problem number one).

4)  Battlefield2 - installed trying to see if i had the same hiccups that FEAR does.  nope.  turned graphics all the way up, still no problems that i encountered playing for about ten minutes.  however, the audio has static in it.  especially in the music while waiting for the map to load and when the voice over (UAV etc) comes on.

5)  MSIE menus...the folder icon for each sub category link under favorites loads from top to bottom...so you can see for example, the placeholder icons, then from top to bottom it cascades and replaces the generic icons with folder icons.  its kinda hard to explain.  and it only does it the first time you open a new MSIE window, but for every new window it does it.  picture the icon that you see when a file isnt associated with a specific program.  then not the website themselves icons, but the folders that have the arrow to see what is contained within.  picture one by one from the top the generic icon changes to the folder icon, and now speed it up...thats what i see.  and it does if it is set to "adjust for performance" or "adjust for appearance".  and my menu show number in the registry is already changed from 400 to 1.

thanks for the help in advance.

-Matthew
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6725|NH - USA
Dude, you need a Dell.     J/K Sounds like a can of worms.

1) Uninstall ATI and use a driver cleaner, install the OMega version video driver.
2) Lots of results, use google and enter "winxp auto login"
3) Not sure
4) Update your sound drivers? Also if you Creative Audigy 2 or something there is an OpenGL fix for BF2. Change your BF2 sound settings and dont use EAX.
5) ??? Try google

Good luck.
ToiletTrooper
+25|6745|WC
wow i dont like reading... im not gonna read this
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6816|Australia
lol well for the sound one disable or lower audio acceleration untill it stops! i just built a system where it has to be no acceleration! buggers me why but works fine without it!

auto login humm i used Powertools to do that donno if theres a 64bit version of that tho! and it lets u do some other cool stuff too...

urm do u have the newest .net framework update crap? i had a problem with catalyst a while ago and someone  said i needed that... but i never did it.. so u could try that but other than that i got no idea unless you can get more info on the problem!
emperorphoenix
+5|6744|Westeren Australia
well i see your problem  ati's card  drivers are bad
and are hard to get working
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6795|Netherlands
have no probs at-aal with ATI.;
but something is running on the background...every 10 secs a hick.
SGTJones97E
+0|6806
as for fear, evidently this is a known problem other people are having no matter what system.  i can run BF with all specs completely maxxed out.  as for the Ati problem, i found the solution:

the problem was that i didnt bother to use the CD to install the card because i had the newest catalyst drivers on my computer.

well, if you go to ati's website, under drivers there is two sections. the top section is for broadband, the bottom is for dial up and has many files instead of just one or two large ones.

well there is something like WDM drivers or something, which is ONLY located in the bottom dial up portion, that you need in ADDITION to the catalyst drivers. this particular instance is pretty stupid for ATI, but for everyone that bashed me when i said i was buying this card, it fucking rules.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6816|Australia
Are we still allowed to bash you for buying it? what i noticed from radion is they are actually faster than a geforce! but i think the nvidia chipset is better than ati's, geforce cards just look so much better.. but thats my opinion
BladeRunner
+5|6719|UK
Did you reinstall your motherboard / chipset drivers?
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6725|NH - USA

SGTJones97E wrote:

well there is something like WDM drivers or something, which is ONLY located in the bottom dial up portion, that you need in ADDITION to the catalyst drivers. this particular instance is pretty stupid for ATI, but for everyone that bashed me when i said i was buying this card, it fucking rules.
Checked that out but I also noted the broadband section said "Display and WDM Drivers included in this bundle". So, by that I would say the broadband included the WDM drivers.
Kr39
Be A Medic!
+2|6733|Austin TX

ToiletTrooper wrote:

wow i dont like reading... im not gonna read this
rofl.  i get the same feeling when i see threads like that.  i feel like im at work.
SGTJones97E
+0|6806

VirtuaLResistancE wrote:

SGTJones97E wrote:

Checked that out but I also noted the broadband section said "Display and WDM Drivers included in this bundle". So, by that I would say the broadband included the WDM drivers.
i have no idea, but it didnt work without installing the ones from the dial up section.  after that, worked IMMEDIATELY.
SGTJones97E
+0|6806
i appreciate it, but as i said at least once hte problem is fixed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard