The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6501|Los Angeles
Nationalpriorities.org is a very interesting web site that breaks down the total cost of the war ($318,500,000,000, or $1,075 for every living American). You can click on your own state to find out how much your state, county, or major city is paying in taxes to fund the Iraq War.

The site also had a section detailing tradeoffs: a calculation of how else the tax revenue might have been spent in your state had it not been required for the Iraq War. I pulled off the stats for California last night. Right now the section seems to be down, probably from traffic as a few major web sites are starting to link directly to it. The first URL hadn't been working last night but is now fine, so hopefully the tradeoffs one will be running again soon. Until then you can see some of the same information on a national or state-by-state basis at costofwar.com.

Total tax revenues spent on the Iraq war by...

California: $40,346,800,000
Los Angeles County: $10,072,800,000
Los Angeles: $3,399,800,000

Taxpayers in California will pay $40.3 billion for the cost of war in Iraq. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:

6,733,296 People with Health Care or
627,551 Elementary School Teachers or
4,767,634 Head Start Places for Children or
25,168,314 Children with Health Care or
235,246 Affordable Housing Units or
4,390 New Elementary Schools or
7,685,109 Scholarships for University Students or
616,017 Music and Arts Teachers or
741,482 Public Safety Officers or
117,140,845 Homes with Renewable Electricity or
601,790 Port Container Inspectors
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

There is no price for freedom. I only hope it can someday be achieved.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jonsimon
+224|6495
Ouch, 8.5 billion in MI.
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6675|Moscow, Russia

Kmarion wrote:

There is no price for freedom. I only hope it can someday be achieved.
Blah-Blah-Blah. I think that life would be better (and safer) in the USA if the money would be spent on something more necessary than a war for "Freedom" against "Evil dictator regime threatening the US with his spooky WMDs" based on lies.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6625|Cherry Pie
Hey, dude.  Guess what?  If you don't like the government "wasting" your money, then why don't you leave the United States and move to Iraq or someplace.  I hear Saddam did an excellent job of governing that country...  Thats what I don't understand about you people.  You complain about the war that is protecting our country from attack and rids us of future threats.  And you complain about wasted tax dollars on war, well if you don't like it then GET THE HELL OUT!  Love it or leave it baby!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Seaneroo wrote:

Hey, Ruskie, kindly get your own mob cime-ridden house in order before you start criticizing us.  BTW, how DOES it feel to drop from Superpower to Third World status in just two decades?  Also, maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of words like "freedom" until you've genuinely experienced it.
lol..Don't forget all the Trillions of dollars we spent in defeating them in the cold war.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
People like Mister Pie Eater and Seaneroo are the reason I am pissed the the negetive karma thang does not work.

Last edited by doctastrangelove1964 (2006-08-28 12:19:49)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

People like Mister Pie Eater and Seaneroo are the reason I am pissed the the negetive karma thang does not work.
I hear ya!
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6501|Los Angeles

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Hey, dude.  Guess what?  If you don't like the government "wasting" your money, then why don't you leave the United States and move to Iraq or someplace.
Right.

Or, we could just distribute facts indicting the current administration whilst loudly voicing our displeasure with the same, and then sit back and watch as the bums holding sway over the White House, the Congress, and the House get deleted.

But yeah. Certainly one of the two.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6694|San Francisco
Psst, hey Pieeater, do you actually pay taxes?  Do you have a job and are you old enough to vote?

A lot of people don't like the fact that they are mandatorily paying taxes to the government which is in turn using it to fund things they do not agree with.  I do not want my hard-earned tax dollars going into something I don't agree with, that's for sure...I'd prefer it to go towards healthcare or the floundering education system, something which is quite apparent in your extremely nationalistic anti-populist views.  Tone your nationalism down and try to intelligently explain why we shouldn't care about how the government spends our money.
Jusster
Pimpin aint Easy
+11|6477|H-Town

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Hey, dude.  Guess what?  If you don't like the government "wasting" your money, then why don't you leave the United States and move to Iraq or someplace.  I hear Saddam did an excellent job of governing that country...  Thats what I don't understand about you people.  You complain about the war that is protecting our country from attack and rids us of future threats.  And you complain about wasted tax dollars on war, well if you don't like it then GET THE HELL OUT!  Love it or leave it baby!
LMAO............Funny stuff

Just because someone disagrees with how OUR tax dollars are spent your suggestion is for them to leave the country?  PLEASE.........

Now that has got to be the MOST anti American statement I've ever heard.  In case you didn't know, that is the beauty of America,  that everyone has the right to express their opinion.  Even yours as ridiculous as it maybe.

Go read the constitution one more time (maybe the first time for you) before you post ignorant comments.

And for the sake of debate.........could you explain to me how the war in Iraq is protecting our country?  This I've got to hear.

Jusster
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida

Seaneroo wrote:

Hey, Ruskie, kindly get your own mob cime-ridden house in order before you start criticizing us.  BTW, how DOES it feel to drop from Superpower to Third World status in just two decades?  Also, maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of words like "freedom" until you've genuinely experienced it.
/fail

Go read, and once you realize that all countries are more or less the same as one another you will realize that your comment here was stupid and absurd
Seaneroo
+12|6658

Spearhead wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

/fail

Go read, and once you realize that all countries are more or less the same as one another you will realize that your comment here was stupid and absurd
Spearhead, hate to break it to you, but it isn't just your karma messages that are retarded.

Oh, by the way, I'm 46 years old, I have a bachelors degree in political science and a law degree with an emphasis in international law.   Being such a nihilist, I'm guessing either you haven't graduated from high school yet, or your girlfriend just broke up with you.  And if you think all countries are the same, I recommend you try lighting up a doobie in Tehran while wearing a "Fuck the Ayatollah" t-shirt, and see what happens to you.

Last edited by Seaneroo (2006-08-28 16:20:04)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Seaneroo wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

/fail

Spearhead, hate to break it to you, but it isn't just your karma messages that are retarded.

Oh, by the way, I'm 46 years old, I have a bachelors degree in political science and a law degree with an emphasis in international law.   Being such a nihilist, I'm guessing either you haven't graduated from high school yet, or your girlfriend just broke up with you.  And if you think all countries are the same, I recommend you try lighting up a doobie in Tehran while wearing a "Fuck the Ayatollah" t-shirt, and see what happens to you.
Judging by the maturity level of your original comment I do find it difficult to believe you are who you claim to be. If you do happen to be telling the truth then that knocks the US education system down a couple of levels in my estimation.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-28 16:25:23)

{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6745|The Island of Carls Jr.
Well I agree with using our money for our country, not another fucked up one. I just hope that we went to war with a better understanding with what the hell we were gonna get into. We got in Iraq for bio-weapons...
OOPS thers none, now were spending millions fixing a fuck-up.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6546
Ever think that screwing around in the Middle East makes the people there want to harm the US about 100x more than they wanted to in the first place? Forget making them angry, lets make them mortal enemies for the next 2000 years!

Yes, the US should be spending money to fix the US instead of investing in more enemies.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
jonsimon
+224|6495

CameronPoe wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

/fail

Judging by the maturity level of your original comment I do find it difficult to believe you are who you claim to be. If you do happen to be telling the truth then that knocks the US education system down a couple of levels in my estimation.
Quite the contrary. See, the younger of the two is the more educated, thus, the current public educational system is proven to be superior to that of circa 30 years ago.
Apocalypse
+0|6452
Fu king retards actually think the war in Iraq is what's costing the country money, I'm not surprised. Try illegal immigration.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6501|Los Angeles

CameronPoe wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

Hey, Ruskie
/fail

Oh, by the way, I'm 46 years old, I have a bachelors degree in political science and a law degree with an emphasis in international law.
Indeed. I haven't heard "Ruskie" since Duran Duran were on the top 40 charts.

Seaneroo, if you are going to offer your credentials to suggest that your opinion is formed on a more substantial foundation, would you please let us know the names of your academic institutions?
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6501|Los Angeles

Apocalypse wrote:

Fu king retards actually think the war in Iraq is what's costing the country money, I'm not surprised. Try illegal immigration.
Interesting, I'd be very interested to hear more.

How much has illegal immigration cost us, in dollar terms, over the past 3 years? I'd be most interested in your calculation for net negative effect after you factor in the massive amounts of money saved by employers who hire illegals to shirk paying minimum wage. How this number would come out to be a deficit eludes me, but I'm sure you're well-informed: only a fool would call people "fucking retards" because of a claim that he either can't back up or finds to be completely untrue.

Looking forward to your response.
jonsimon
+224|6495

Apocalypse wrote:

Immigration doesn't spend federal money. Defense contractors and soldier's wages do.
Seaneroo
+12|6658

CameronPoe wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

/fail

Just which of my points do you disagree with?
      1.  Russia is ridden with mob-related crime?  That is absolutely true.
      2.  Russia is a Third World Country?  Ok, perhaps a little hyperbole there, but you must admit they'v fallen far on the world stage.  And if I remember correctly, the life expectancy of the average Russian is comparable to that of Third World Countries (better enjoy your short life while you can, Wasder)..
      3.  Russians are not completely free?  Things have certainly improved since Soviet days, but they still are not on a par with the U.S.
Seaneroo
+12|6658

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

/fail

Oh, by the way, I'm 46 years old, I have a bachelors degree in political science and a law degree with an emphasis in international law.
Indeed. I haven't heard "Ruskie" since Duran Duran were on the top 40 charts.

Seaneroo, if you are going to offer your credentials to suggest that your opinion is formed on a more substantial foundation, would you please let us know the names of your academic institutions?
Not that it's really any of your business, but I'll play along.  Bachelors degree from U.C. Berkeley, law degree from Loyolaw Law School of Los Angeles.  Feel better now?
HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6727|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA
Orange Country paid 4 billion themsleves. WOW 1 county pays for about 1 % of the war.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6837
ask the 3000 people who died on 911 if they would have rather had a tax increase instead.

" The price of masturbation on the job ! "

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard