Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
Sniping is easy, if I put all my BF2 e-effort into Sniping instead of Assaulting i'd have a massive KDR.

People that are good with Assault rifles (except G36E) are just as good if not better with Sniper Rifles if given one (in the game). People that are good at Sniper Rifle'ing and decided to only use snipers tend to be crap at using an Assault rifle (again, anything but a G36E)
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6507|Valley of the Dragons

Mekstizzle wrote:

Sniping is easy, if I put all my BF2 e-effort into Sniping instead of Assaulting i'd have a massive KDR.

People that are good with Assault rifles (except G36E) are just as good if not better with Sniper Rifles if given one (in the game). People that are good at Sniper Rifle'ing and decided to only use snipers tend to be crap at using an Assault rifle (again, anything but a G36E)
Thank you for your brilliant insight in this matter. Luckily you were able to steer away from the generalization others use when posting about snipers
Chillin&killin
+27|6682|Manchester,England

Mekstizzle wrote:

yes sure thats why your assault rifle k/d is alot lower than mine cos i cant shoot the damn thing
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6628|Gold coast, Aus.
I love it how people come into a hread clearly marked for snipers, and flame snipers...Lol go away. Wuld sign up if I wasn't in a clan...
Choclot
+21|6549
I would sighn up if i didnt pay at a internet gaming place...my comp is a shitty mac
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6634|Warlord

Noop-Ni wrote:

Snipers as a group tend to have low amounts of kills per minute, and low flag points per minute. They're really not helping the team that much.
That sounds reasonable but two things: first, snipers' stats have to be looked at carefully, bearing in mind they primarily use a single-shot rifle with a limited ammo load; second, snipers' primary role/function is one of sniping and again, their stats should be looked at appropriately.

And I've said this before, and no doubt a sniper will have the chance to make the same point again many times: on the right map, without snipers to counter the snipers on the other team, your team stands a much better chance of losing than if you had even just a couple, as long as they're okay.

In a full 64-player server six, maybe eight snipers isn't too much and won't generally drag a team down, as long as they're decent enough. Sure it looks bad if you see five of them camping on one crane but throughout the course of the round their influence can't be discounted, unless they aren't killing anything (or getting an appropriate number of kill assists). However, even in this sort of round by staying alive for long periods and not giving up an easy ticket to the other side by getting fragged every minute they are still helping the team, compared to some nub ground-pounding as assault or support who ends the game 6-20 or something.

Noop-Ni wrote:

They're really not helping the team that much.
That's a judgement call on your part and one no individual can really make with certainty; we each bring our own biases to this sort of thing whether we acknowledge it or not. Even the two commanders can't see everything going on all over the battlefield so without studying the Battlerecorder file to look at what went on we really can't make a proper assessment of whether they did or did not, but a decent sniper, who got maybe 20 kills and only died four times only gave up those four tickets. And while getting those 20 kills he might have protected a couple of flags, stopped a flag cap halfway through etc... all the stuff that's impossible to really take into account.

It's possible for the right guy in the right place to make the difference between the team winning or losing. Anyone can be that guy at the right place at the right time and I've done it as sniper.

Noop-Ni wrote:

...but the majority really aren't that effective, from what I see.
Effectiveness is a loaded argumentative chip. A very good illustration of this is the great chopper and plane pilots; some of whom, on the right map, can greatly help (even virtually guarantee) their team wins because of their contribution. For the round they'll tend to have excellent KDRs when they're in their chosen vehicle, very high kills outright, limited team points and of course no flag caps or assists to speak of. Generally speaking it's unquestionable that they are effective in helping their team win, which could be argued to be the point of the game, right?

But look at the stats of many great pilots and surprisingly some don't have incredible WLRs, which you'd kinda expect due to their influence.

And if you look at merely good pilots it'll be common that they don't assure wins. Take Sharqi where an MEC pilot/gunner team that hogged the vehicle the whole game got the highest kills for the gunner (and often then the highest team points for the pilot), close to or the least number of deaths for the two of them and hence the automatic assumption would be this: most tickets taken, least tickets lost to the team = a win for MEC. But I've been in countless games where the chopper pair scored exactly like this but their team didn't win.
Head_hunter(HX)
+1|6750
thank you Todd_Angelo, that's why snipers are here for.  big shout out goes out to all my sniper brothers
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6507|Valley of the Dragons
Shout out to ChikyuuShoujoArujuna for cappin' my ass last night after a long chase on the hills of Daqing
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6679|A sunburnt country
Most of you guys are right, snipers really suck and do not contribute so don't be one. 

The more morons that believe that the better, more headshots for us.

Lionbeat
+9|6653|LONDON
I'm a reformed sniper-hater.

I used to think they were useless etc. That said, I then started working on my badges a bit, and I found that I really like using that kit. It has to be done in a certain way, but it can be great fun. Does anything else matter?.

Two ways I use it...

1) Squad lead: hang back, spot, shoot and claymore assets while my boys spawn on me and I give them valuable cues on where to find contact - or to avoid it. I rarely use the kit for a whole round, but will pick it up two to three times when the game is balanced and our team could use some more flags.

2) Lone wolf: I like to play as a team, so if there's no VOIP users in squads, it switches me off. It's just not the same. So, I'll do some lone wolfing and hone my M95 skills...
NaziPredator
+41|6472|Luton -WorstTownInBritain-
i use to be in rdg, you killed the site lol, i thought i was in w0okie meh oh well

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard