alanhorton999
+0|6515
Okay, searched the forums, tried every adjustment I can think, really need help with this.  I'm lost.

I can load BF2, login okay, load up a server, play for a while, then it either:

1) crashes all the way to a reboot (most common)
- or -
2) freezes, have to reset (less often)

I can play 10-15 minutes no problem, then BOOM.

Just put together new system, but all parts are successfully used by others players, so I'm assuming I have a settings problem, but could be wrong, of course.  Here's the system:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
nvidia 7600 GS 512 MB
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte MOBO (GA-M55plus-S3G)
Using onboard RealTek audio drivers

I've updated all drivers, tried running on low settings, tried to make sure card and in-game video settings match,  re-patched after adding expansion packs, everything I can think of.

Any ideas??
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6507|Sydney, Australia
Maybe it's something to do with your internet connection, as sometimes BF2 will cause my internet to disconnect even though I have ADSL. Also, turn off VOIP, and close some background programs such as MSN. It might also be your firewall, so consider disabling it for the duration of the game.
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Duh.  Firewall.  Already tried the other stuff, but let me turn off the firewall and see if I can play.  Thanks.
oneshotsnipednoobfag
+9|6517
check computer temperature
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Okay, turned off firewall, and that didn't help - still crashed.

Computer temperature (CPU and video card) are optimal, still crashing after 5-15 minutes of play.

What up?
Nintendogamer
+72|6600|Chelmsford, UK
i have same problem, i re-installed and i get a blue screen of death when i try to boot the game up. then i ried to boot it up again and i got a weird error message that ended in (really!) wtf is up with that!??!?!
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

I would check your viruses.
Try a system restore.

And if that doesnt work, un-install BF2 and re-install.
That should work.

If it doesnt, well I hate to say it, but contact EA, I am sure they will give you an utterly useless answer, but its worth a try.
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Could it be my onboard sound (realTek) that's the problem?  Do I hafta have a sound card to play?  Used onboard sound on my old computer, but that was a different mobo.
KillerYaNk
Hard Case
+11|6694|S.E. United States
- We recommend Creative sound cards for use with Battlefield 2.

- The following sound cards do not support the Hardware Audio
  Renderer option: Realtek ALC861 audio
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6769|Scotland

That is not correct as far as I know.
Because I use it.

But you never know, for you it could be that...
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Still having the same problems, even after reinstall of BF2 and patch.

With nothing better to do on a Sunday, I just took the whole system down and rebuilt it, careful with drivers, etc.  Same problem.  Play for a bit, then crash. Basically, didn't do ANYTHING on the computer expect the minimum required to build it and launch BF2.

At this point, I think I HAVE to assume its the sound driver issue -- like I gotta get a sound card.  Nothing else makes sense, does it?
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Okay, I tried a couple of other tweaks, didn't work, still crashing.

I;m realy having a hard time believing that my onboard sound is causing this.  It's so weird that I can play for a while, then crash.  Anything else you see in my system that could be causing this?  Here's my system again so you don't have to scroll to the top again, lol.

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
nvidia 7600 GS 512 MB
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte MOBO (GA-M55plus-S3G)
Using onboard RealTek audio drivers

Oh yeah, I have dual monitors, too.  Could that be it?
mrboogman
You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here!
+13|6715|Germany
I had the same problem. This is what helped on my AMD 64 System (3800+): I had to turn down Hyper transport from 4x to 1x. This results in a speed loss of around 5% but since I've done that BF2 runs stable! So most likely it is some sort of a memory problem caused by punkbuster because pb is scanning your memory regularly and causes your computer to crash if the memory is not configured properly

Good luck!
Nintendogamer
+72|6600|Chelmsford, UK
i contacted EA, about my problem and i am waitign a reply, i'll proberbly get a reply on tuesday as today is a bank holiday.
Madben
+4|6494
Sometime it can come from gfx, or processor, i experienced some crash from gfx due to high quality setting or overclocking, try to low your video setting or else update or try to get a lower version of your nvidia drivers (they are sometime messed up for some reason)
ECH
+50|6656|Some where near you
If it does have anything to do with memory you might want to disable DEP for BF2.exe and see what happend then.  Although I tend to believe that your onboard sound may be the problem.  I have read post with problems like this before ranging from corrupt onboard sound drivers to onboard sound taking way too much CPU power causing freezing and the such.  Having your own sound card that processes it's own sound, uses less CPU power is a given.  Will it help resolve your problem...I cannot say for certain, I can only offer the advice.
{_Schlemihl_}
+4|6538|elsewhere
did u guys ever check ur harddisks?? i had bad blocks and repaired it and now i have no probs...

Last edited by {_Schlemihl_} (2006-08-28 04:44:03)

alanhorton999
+0|6515
Thanks for all the tips, guys.  I'll chew through them tonight after work, see if I can get it to run.

- HARD DRIVES: drives are brand new, pass my drive checks no problem

I read one other thing regarding memory and my motherboard.  Recomended that I rebuild the system, pulling out everything that's not essential (leaving in only one DIMM to start, pulling video card, extra hard drive, etc.).  Then, once windows is up, adding in my second 1GB DIMM, adding in the video card, adding in the second hard drive.  Says that the motherboard can read the memory better this way.

Does that make any sense to you?  I could try it, I guess.  Failing all of that, I guess I'll buy a sound card.  Damn, there's another $120 for an X-FI card!  Will the spending ever stop? lol
Thanks again for your continued help!
Mad Ad
+178|6523|England, UK
Read the memory better that way? No that doesnt make any sense at all.

When I read the first post I thought temprature too, but if youve checked that (by running with the case open when its cool outside) then thats obviously not it.
alanhorton999
+0|6515
Yeah, it's definitely NOT temerature.  It's obviously cool, my temp monitor is optimal for CPU, PSU, and video card.

I tried swapping around my DIMMS as well -- just running with one and then the other, to make sure they were good, but I'm still crashing.  Then one more new thing: I froze up WITHOUT being in BF2.  Just messing around on the desktop.  Being Windows, that could be totally unrelated, but it "felt" the same.

It is a new mobo -- maybe its faulty?  That does happen.  I emailed the mobo tech support with the problem today.  Could always exchange that.

Super weird.  Thanks again for the help.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard