Poll

What is the most important aspect of modern warfare, and why?

Numbers6%6% - 17
Technology30%30% - 77
Ideology9%9% - 25
Logistics19%19% - 50
Firepower15%15% - 40
Spawn camping in APC's17%17% - 44
Total: 253
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6563
Lets see what you all think........please respond with explainations as to you're choice though, more interesting that way.
Sea_JayUK
+19|6528|Notts
Technology,

Technology will always win even against numbers. It's saddly the reason America is able to get away with the things it does. Ideology is a tough one though but i cant bring myself to vote for it. Ideology makes alot of people fight however it doesnt always win. If that were the case  suppose that alot of the more religiously strong countries would pose more of a threat than those less religious ones (Though of course ideology is not always based on religion)

Spawn camping in APC's?

[APC] H00r : OMFG He just Jihad jeeped me KICKBANKICKBAN!!!! Your ruining the game!
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6848|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I voted all because I could, honestly, how hard is it to make a functioning poll? It's the default choice!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6762|Argentina
It has to be spawn camping in Apc's, did you ever try it in the alley left to the hotel in karkand or attacking last flag left?
Sea_JayUK
+19|6528|Notts

PBAsydney wrote:

I voted all because I could, honestly, how hard is it to make a functioning poll? It's the default choice!
COMON! It's a good poll, dont derail it!
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6680|Moscow, Russia
Ideology and numbers used to win in the past I think. Now it's all about technology.
Logistics and firepower are eternal values.

But the future is with nade spamming.
l41e
+677|6653

All of them. Numbers are important, 1 guy with an M240B will still lose against a million guys with bows and arrows. Technology will protect you and help you know things. Idealogy helps as motivation (jihad?). Logistics is crucial, you have to have ammo/fuel/food/replacements of various things. Firepower is important, but putting loads of firepower into a small package is even better. Spawn camping in APCs doesn't work IRL.
bijzondere
+6|6487
It has to be Logistics you can have the best equipment in the world, millions of troops all with the right Ideology but if you anit got no fuel or ammo you will not win.

Thanks bijzondere
Ether151
Banned
+22|6665
I am saying technology, if you have millions of troops and the other guy flys a unmanned aircraft over and drop what ever kind of bomb they want, even if they shoot it down after the payload is delivered that is how many dead and all they lost was an expendable piece of equipment that they can replace in a matter of minutes.  Or you can go the biological route create a virus release it on the county or area you are attacking and your problem is solved.  this is were I see wars, going there will probably always be ground troops but unmanned vehicles and things of that nature are becoming quite popular now days.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6649|Ohio
you forgot one:
Chuck Norris.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560
If there's one thing you can't beat it's when your opponent's belief in the righteousness of their cause is greater than yours. As such, ideology is CRUCIAL. The weaker willed will eventually run out of steam. Another thing: an ideology can NEVER be defeated. You can kill a million men but their ideology will live on.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-21 11:39:21)

Erkut.hv
+124|6740|California
It's all crap. World leaders should justplay Rock Em Sock Em Robots to settle disputes. Best of 3 gets his point across.
tiptopT
+72|6587|Scotland's Capital
What about communication? IIRC didnt "friendly fire cause a huge amount of casualties in the first gulf war?

Id vote technology!
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6505|Los Angeles
None of the current options would, for example, explain why the United States lost in Viet Nam. I would add three things to this list that in my mind are the most important components of warfare.

First would be "motivation" - that which drives a force to win or to hold the goals of their force above all else. E.g. religion, ideology, compensation, allegiance, fear, etc.

Second would be "information" - specifically, knowing the battleground, knowing the enemy, knowing the strengths and limits of your own force, knowing the attitudes of civilians, etc.

Third would be "non-human resources" - cash, natural resources, oil reserves, etc.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648
the ability to win best of 3 in a hand,paper, scissor operation
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

None of the current options would, for example, explain why the United States lost in Viet Nam. I would add three things to this list that in my mind are the most important components of warfare.

First would be "motivation" - that which drives a force to win or to hold the goals of their force above all else. E.g. religion, ideology, compensation, allegiance, fear, etc.

Second would be "information" - specifically, knowing the battleground, knowing the enemy, knowing the strengths and limits of your own force, knowing the attitudes of civilians, etc.

Third would be "non-human resources" - cash, natural resources, oil reserves, etc.
The Unites States military didnt lose vietnam, dont get it twisted.  The Gov't did and the weapon was the media.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Honestly, it's the ability  to make the enemy suffer. I know it sounds bad but in order to win a war you have to break the enemy's will. Sometimes precision bombing is too precise and smart bombs are too smart. War is ugly. A fireworks show will never convince a determined enemy to lay it's arms down. Pain and total devastation will. It's either go in to win or don't go in at all. This is the way it has been throughout history with every country.

Edit: I don't advocate this, it's just the way it is.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-08-21 11:58:16)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
bijzondere
+6|6487

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

The Unites States military didnt lose vietnam, dont get it twisted.  The Gov't did and the weapon was the media.
Yes the pen is mighter than the sword
sheggalism
+16|6747|France
I don't see things like "recon, informations, military intelligence, network, tactics"....

I vote "Logistics" : US is THE main military (super)power cuz they've got the BEST logistics (and battle efficiency as well)...that's all....even with crappy weapons they would have won the Gulf War...Russia for example is no match for any major European country whatsoever....their logistics sucks...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648

CameronPoe wrote:

If there's one thing you can't beat it's when your opponent's belief in the righteousness of their cause is greater than yours. As such, ideology is CRUCIAL. The weaker willed will eventually run out of steam. Another thing: an ideology can NEVER be defeated. You can kill a million men but their ideology will live on.
I partially disagree there.  The nazi idealogy has and still has a lot of supporters, but you will never see that bullshit rise up again.
herrr_smity
+156|6632|space command ur anus
Technology
Ideology
Logistics
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6505|Los Angeles

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Are you correcting me in some way?

If so, I fail to see how my statement was incorrect or necessarily in disagreement with your contention. Please explain.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6532|Portland, OR USA
I voted null.  The answer is knowledge.  Knowledge of the enemy and knowledge of your force.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

Firepower, all the way (backed up by peripheral technologies, such as tageting systems).
If you can shoot the shit out of someone before they can shoot you and continue doing it you're going to win. It's the reason airstrikes are so popular and having air dominance is vital to modern warfare.
jonsimon
+224|6500
Troops. An army is nothing without men on the ground. Air force cannot work effectively without spotters, and neither the navy nor the airforce has ever captured soil. War always has, and always will come down to the footsoldier. Everything else is a buffer between your infantry and theirs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard