Boogie
+1|6763
IMO, i think that a prone non-moving sniper should not show up on the UAV or commander scan, I mean he is in a guilly(sp?) suit after all.
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6813|Barrington, RI
for all you know the UAV could find people by body heat, so don't go saying he wouldn't show up.  and even when wearing a Ghillie suit you aren't invisible, and you can hear the shots, and the rifle itself is still visible.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6787|AUS, Canberra
plus the suit isnt much help when your on a man made structure anyway..
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6811|Canberra, Australia
I think you definetly should be hard to see if hiding in the grass etc though.  Maybe take a lot longer for your name to come up over your head?
safshep
What's so special about titles anyway?
+40|6763|Minnesota, USA
heart_attack and sewermasta have good points but I can see where you are coming from.  Sometimes I wish snipers didn't show up on UAV scans, but thats usually only when im playing as a sniper.....
Boogie
+1|6763
didn't think of the body heat thing, just frustrated after finding a good sniping spot only to have arty dropped on me before i can fire a shot.
[FIS]-Thor
+0|6760|Vienna- Austria
hmm well.. Guillie suits does help.. even if u are man made figure.. BECAUSE.. i lie down.. that what the guillie is for.. to wash urself with the surroundings....for the heat thing jep older guillies can be spotted thou.. but never also absorb the heat and u have special "underwear" . even with night vision with IR u cant barely spot a usmc scout sniper , believe me.

only thing BAD is: U are still visible at distances about 200 metres.. the grass u are hiding behind is not.. so if u hide behind grass. the grass doesnt show up  they clearly see u.   that was better solved in Joint Operations
Sylvanis
+13|6652|Toronto, Ontario
I think that you are asking too much out of your Gillie suit.  I only need it to conceal me until I make my shot, not for the whole round.  And no, it is not to blend you in with the concrete rooftop or steel crane, it is to break up your shape and mimic the randomness of natural environments.

Here is a question for experienced snipers:  do you choose your rifle (unlock) for it's power, accuracy, or Gillie suit?  I'm finding more often than not I am choosing whatever rifle will give me the best colour for the map.  Then I end up sniping all the dark black bumps with their L96s on the pale brown hillside with my M24.
Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6420|Alberta, Canada

THA wrote:

You should be able to select an option for ghille or not.

But I wish that the suit actually HID someone. Where the hell can an MEC sniper blend in?
[Spec]-=Colonel_Zero=-
+21|6378|None ya
You still be able to show up on UAV, but you should be in a hidden spot, hard to see.
R0lyP0ly
+161|6670|USA

Sylvanis wrote:

Here is a question for experienced snipers:  do you choose your rifle (unlock) for it's power, accuracy, or Gillie suit?  I'm finding more often than not I am choosing whatever rifle will give me the best colour for the map.  Then I end up sniping all the dark black bumps with their L96s on the pale brown hillside with my M24.
wtf? rifles have ghillie suits? i choose M24. It is the best. Ever.

This isn't damn real life. That one rifle "matches" the environment better is bullshit. The differences are negligible. Saying one matches better is like saying which way you face when somebody is running at you because you are camoflauged better on the one side. All of it=BS.

Sylvanis, if you doubt me, lets arrange a competition, and Ill pick the rifle you says doesnt match, and see if I get killed more than you.

Last edited by R0lyP0ly (2006-12-09 14:36:42)

R0lyP0ly
+161|6670|USA

Heavy_Guns_91 wrote:

THA wrote:

You should be able to select an option for ghille or not.

But I wish that the suit actually HID someone. Where the hell can an MEC sniper blend in?
The MEC ghillie works better on cleansweep, since its pattern closely matches the drab, almost colorless landscape. It also works reasonable well in the shadows on Sharqi, since the USMC suit looks much more greener, and the MEC is a very dark brown.MEC also works near flawlessly on Kubra; every time I'm there at any sort of range I need to wait a second to see the tags pop up before I shoot. (Assuming the target isnt running, then I can easily distinguish) USMC suit owns on Wake.
Sylvanis

R0lyP0ly wrote:

Sylvanis wrote:

wtf? rifles have ghillie suits? i choose M24. It is the best. Ever.

This isn't damn real life. That one rifle "matches" the environment better is bullshit. The differences are negligible. Saying one matches better is like saying which way you face when somebody is running at you because you are camoflauged better on the one side. All of it=BS.

Sylvanis, if you doubt me, lets arrange a competition, and Ill pick the rifle you says doesnt match, and see if I get killed more than you.
Hey I'm defiantly up for some competitive sniping.  I don't claim to be great, but I try. 
What I was saying is the the colours of the suits are different.  The M24 has a really good light colour, the L96 is very dark, the SVD is more brown, the M95 is darker grey, and the type 88 is more green.  When trying to blend yourself into the scenery you are (hopefully) placing yourself where you will make the least contrast.  You can't say that a dark suit like the L96 blends well with the pale hills surrounding the first flags of Jalalabad.
And I'm talking about from a distance, not when someone is charging your position.

Agreed 100% that the M24 is superior to all others.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6536|Adelaide, South Australia

Sylvanis wrote:

What I was saying is the the colours of the suits are different.  The M24 has a really good light colour, the L96 is very dark, the SVD is more brown, the M95 is darker grey, and the type 88 is more green.
What the hell are you going on about? the weapon you pick has absolutely nothing to do with how your suit/skin shows up... they are dependent on the army/map, I.E.

US/MEC maps: US has greener camo, MEC has darker.

US/PLA maps: Both have the darker set.

Sylvanis wrote:

QFT
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6607|Your attic
Holy crap this thread is old (not complaining as I'd rather this then someone creating a new one), back to the days of BSF (that's pre-TOP).
Sylvanis

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Sylvanis wrote:

What I was saying is the the colours of the suits are different.  The M24 has a really good light colour, the L96 is very dark, the SVD is more brown, the M95 is darker grey, and the type 88 is more green.
What the hell are you going on about? the weapon you pick has absolutely nothing to do with how your suit/skin shows up... they are dependent on the army/map, I.E.

Sylvanis wrote:

QFT
It might be that I have smoked too much pot while playing, but get five snipers to stand in a line, their camo is different.  The suit you wear with each gun changes.  I will try to prove this, find pictures or somthing.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Sylvanis wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Sylvanis wrote:

Sylvanis wrote:

QFT
It might be that I have smoked too much pot while playing, but get five snipers to stand in a line, their camo is different.  The suit you wear with each gun changes.  I will try to prove this, find pictures or somthing.
Could that possibly be the shadows? because all my shadows are turned off, so i wouldnt be able to tell.

but seriously, there should be no difference between them, because no other kit gets a skin change from picking a different weapon. granted, the other kits don't have full body suits, but the different colours just dosent seem right...
Ssandstorm
+73|6751|Perth, Western Australia
Then I could be an invisible claymore spammer. That was be awesome.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6407

Yowie suits! (not that different from the game version, acually)
https://www.defence.gov.au/army/2_17RNSWR/Charlie/Yowie2_th.jpg
https://www.defence.gov.au/army/2_17RNSWR/Charlie/Cerem9_th.jpg

Last edited by some_random_panda (2006-12-12 02:27:11)

Sylvanis

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Could that possibly be the shadows? because all my shadows are turned off, so i wouldnt be able to tell.

but seriously, there should be no difference between them, because no other kit gets a skin change from picking a different weapon. granted, the other kits don't have full body suits, but the different colours just dosent seem right...
I can't find any pictures of a sniper with an L96 or M95. If someone has screenshots of them (good quality graphics) then I might be put to rest on this one.  And you might have a point there about the shadows, I've been playing a lot more of the sniper kit since I've been able to max out my graphics.
But it is interesting that the majority of snipers are completely oblivious to the contrast they make from their suroundings.  I especially like the ones who try to blend into the sky in a crane..

[edit]  By the way, what does QTF mean, I'm not at all up to speed with this lingo.

Last edited by Sylvanis (2006-12-12 02:31:32)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

QFT = Quote for Truth
QFE = Quote for Emphasis

but...but...but...i like to camp the crane
Sylvanis
Thanks for the definition.

I once had a squad who kept spawing on their SL who was sniping in a crane.  I avoided shooting him, but instead picked off his team mates as they kept spawing on him. 
And feel free to camp as many cranes as you like

Last edited by Sylvanis (2006-12-12 13:01:48)

SuperMike
Banned
+11|6476|KENT
lol  - drop arty on those sneaky snipy gits
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6540|the Netherlands
modern day ghillie suits dont show body heat instead of the burlap hand made ghillie suits sniper need ... as the BF2 sniper kitts have Prone suits instead of the Stalker or upright worn sniper suits They can be detected by satelite scan ...

Sorry m8 ! carry on !
Snipingruven
The Anti-Sniper
+12|6553|Las Vegas

Boogie wrote:

IMO, i think that a prone non-moving sniper should not show up on the UAV or commander scan, I mean he is in a guilly(sp?) suit after all.
AS if the Sniper isn't Chicken $hit enough, you want to be excluded from the UAV? Give me a break. You need to yank on that teenie scrotum of yours, get you $hit to drop, and get a real gun dude. Snipers are the lowest form of life in this game. Hiding, and doing nearly GD NOTHING for thier team. Useless. Sniping is for assassinations, or specific targets, not for useless camping and gaymore spamming. BF2, is a squadplay game, be part of a Squad, not a Chicken $hit sniper.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard