mjw
The All Rounder
+22|6756|Rotherham, England
This may have been mentioned before but i cant find it anywhere so, i thought i'd post this anyway.
I was talking with a couple of friends the other day about the release of the special forces add-on pack, and i reckon EA will release another patch for bf2 along with this new addon pack.
The reason i'm posting this is to ask if anyone else would be annoyed by "the tactics" used by EA, to ensure that nearly everybody who plays bf2 will have to go and buy this, in order to still be able to play bf2.
(because of the fact that you can only play with people who have the same version of you)

The reason i think they will release a patch is because i think they will redo all the rank requirements again in order to incorporate the officer ranks that are already in the game, cos lets face it not many people are going to get... say, wat 500000 points (maybe more for the top officer ranks), if the current top rank is already 200000, it would have to be more than that. So i think its a next to a banged on certainty that new ranks will become attainable with the new add-on pack.

I would appreciate anybody's view on this, thanks.
r00fus
+2|6789
its only like 30 bucks, so i doubt i will be able to avoid buying it.  But most games that i have played which have an expansion pack use different patches for the original and expansion.  Therefore making you able to play just the original if you dont want or cant afford the expansion.
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6823|Netherlands

r00fus wrote:

its only like 30 bucks, so i doubt i will be able to avoid buying it.  But most games that i have played which have an expansion pack use different patches for the original and expansion.  Therefore making you able to play just the original if you dont want or cant afford the expansion.
only 30 bucks!!** and what about the BF2 dvd/cd=50$+30$ makes a even 80$*
fickin80$$ $
and all the testing crap i, we, did in the last 5 months;
Better give the expansion for free!!!!,
for a game that runs like shit.  for most peeps.
better get the BF2,  updated and patched first.!

Last edited by TheMajorBummer (2005-11-12 03:04:28)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6838|Cologne, Germany

mjw wrote:

This may have been mentioned before but i cant find it anywhere so, i thought i'd post this anyway.
I was talking with a couple of friends the other day about the release of the special forces add-on pack, and i reckon EA will release another patch for bf2 along with this new addon pack.
The reason i'm posting this is to ask if anyone else would be annoyed by "the tactics" used by EA, to ensure that nearly everybody who plays bf2 will have to go and buy this, in order to still be able to play bf2.
(because of the fact that you can only play with people who have the same version of you)

The reason i think they will release a patch is because i think they will redo all the rank requirements again in order to incorporate the officer ranks that are already in the game, cos lets face it not many people are going to get... say, wat 500000 points (maybe more for the top officer ranks), if the current top rank is already 200000, it would have to be more than that. So i think its a next to a banged on certainty that new ranks will become attainable with the new add-on pack.

hmm..let's see... it took me about 5 months ( registered 11/06/2005 ) to get about 25,000 points, give or take a few. I'm not that good at math, but I figure if I earn points at my current rate I will need another 35 months to reach 200,000 points, the first officer rank. That's nearly 3 years....jesus christ...

I doubt I will be able to keep my motivation up and play for about 1,5 hours every day for the next 3 years.

Also, BF3 will probably be out long before that..

So I sincerely hope the ranks get redone with the next patch.

Apart from that I am with roofus here. I am pretty sure EA will put out the next patch for BF2 separately from the expansion pack. That's a common practice.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6768|AUS, Canberra
i dont think they would release the patch soley with the expansion, they might include one but they would make avalible for download too.
A$$kicka
+6|6744|Blackburn, UK

TheMajorBummer wrote:

r00fus wrote:

fickin80$$ $
better get the BF2,  updated and patched first.!!!!! 

btw;
       lookin at ur stats....
u must be glue-d to ur chair;
       i say impossible..!
considdering ur K/D ratio.?
Time to "clean house"  EA.!!
Same counts for the top 1000.!
Had a quick sken at those stats too... 

Seems to me he plays as a mostly as Commander (NOT for the TEAM .. but so he can find the Empty bases and Cap them)   Thats the reason not many deaths...  most kills probably come from ART..

If that's the way to get into top Few hundred... I say Bollox to it..   I'd rather ENJOY the challenge and play it straight.... even if my stats arn't the finest...
r00fus
+2|6789
that's the last time i ever try to help any of you
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX
Yea I agree with roofus on this one. Seen it happen and it's probably what is going to happen. BF2 Patch 1.04 and then a BF2-SF Patch 1.01.

I just wish that EA/Dice would give perhaps a special $10 discount to all registered current users of BF2. After all we did buy the game and basically Beta tested that damn thing for them. The least they could do is give us a silly coupon. Plus they would do much better packaging BF2 and SF together in a combo bundle for a discounted price. Instead of $50+$30=$80, they could do a combo that is $70 or something.

Just some ideas from the peanut gallery.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6784|Bulgaria

kilroy0097 wrote:

Plus they would do much better packaging BF2 and SF together in a combo bundle for a discounted price. Instead of $50+$30=$80, they could do a combo that is $70 or something.

Just some ideas from the peanut gallery.
Such thing would happen in the future [remember the BF1942 + the 2 expansions?], but it will be useless for us, 'cause we ALREADY have bought the game!
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6783

mjw wrote:

-I- mentioned it.  About 5000 times too.  No one believed me.. atleast someone understands it.
It's good sound marketing!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6768|AUS, Canberra

beeng wrote:

mjw wrote:

-I- mentioned it.  About 5000 times too.  No one believed me.. atleast someone understands it.
It's good sound marketing!
i agree good idea but bloody hell what would be next??
they might do what norton does and you have to send 75 bucks every year to keep using the product!!!!
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6811
It'll be 50 AUS$ here.
mjw
The All Rounder
+22|6756|Rotherham, England
it just seems like a very "EA thing" to do. I just wouldn't be suprised if they made it so that you couldn't obtain the new ranks without owning special forces first.
It would be a complete rip-off, buy hey this is EA we're talkin about, they're about the biggest rip-off out there, (except from microsoft of course).
Complaining aside i'll probably have the add-on pack on the day its released anyway, so i suppose im just a sucker for BF2, lol.
MatRx9
Carpe Noctem
+1|6790
Realistically, if it's given you 5 months of entertainment, isn't it worth the $50 you've already paid?  And if the expansion gives you another month or two of playing and being entertained then isn't that also worth the additional $30?  Consider the following: buy a DVD= $20 good for 2-10 hours enjoyment.  Go out for a nice meal alone= $20-40 for 1-2 hours of fun.  Night of drinking= $20-200 (depending on gender ) for 3-7 hours of fun.  My point is, if you work out the math you're getting your money's worth.

On the point of the patch timing I do think that EA will release a patch AROUND the same time as the expansion but I agree with others that it will be just like they've done before with BF2SF and BF2 versions.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6779|The Hague, Holland
You guys wanna know what my point of vieuw is on the Add-On.

You buy the Add-On, you install the Add-On.

You join a server wanting to try out the new gear.

You get 1 kill, you get promoted

Make a second kill, get promoted.
So in other words, I think they will pull the number of Global Points down for requirments for a rank.
I think its gonna be simulair to the 1.03 patch.
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6783

the_heart_attack wrote:

i agree good idea but bloody hell what would be next??
they might do what norton does and you have to send 75 bucks every year to keep using the product!!!!
Monthly fees like WoW (unlikely) or further canibalization of future bf2 updates... like mjw mentioned they may restrict ranks, unlocks, etc. to just special forces.  It will be interesting to see just how they 'integrate' the two together like they said they would.
There are a couple hundred possibilities... I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out what they are going to do when I can just wait and see
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6817

TheMajorBummer wrote:

r00fus wrote:

fickin80$$ $

btw;
       lookin at ur stats....
       i say impossible..!
Fuck man, learn to use spell check. Jesus H. Christ.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6762|Dallas
Roofus, your such a freckin stat padding score whore!!  Look at his worst enemy/victim!!  And he doesnt even have a purple heart, not to mention his favorite weapon is the pistol, the padders weapon of choice.

Stupid padders, EA should wipe thier scores.
McCullough
+7|6835

TheMajorBummer wrote:

r00fus wrote:

fickin80$$ $

btw;
       lookin at ur stats....
       i say impossible..!
What the heck has his stats to do with anything?
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

Leave his stats outta this. There's an entire damn thread about it. Go find it.

As for the stats/ranks. Both games are going to utilize the SAME PROFILE for both regular BF2 and BF2:SF. This means that BOTH games will have ALL THE SAME RANKS. The difference is in SF you might get an unlock or two that is different.

This, of course, is on speculation (good speculation, I would say) and no one will know till the end of this month. So I suggest we poor some ice down our collective pants and "chill out".
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6768|Atlanta, GA USA
I never played BF1942 or BFV.  How did the expansions work for them?
MatRx9
Carpe Noctem
+1|6790

atlvolunteer wrote:

I never played BF1942 or BFV.  How did the expansions work for them?
As I described above- they work together and are not required to play the original game.  P.S. BFV had no "official" expansions (but damn I loved the free WWII maps!)
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6838|Cologne, Germany

by the way, EA can market their products as they wish. No one will put a gun to your head and force you to buy anything the put out...

It's the same as with any other product on the market. If you want it, you gotta buy it. hail to capitalism !
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6791|Canberra, Australia
Yeah true.  And in Australia the original game was $100 and the expansion will be about $40 or $50.  and our exchange rate isn't that bad.  So I think we drew the short straw.....

But I will still buy it because its worth the fun.  I have already calculated that the game is costing me less than $1/hr to play  I think thats worth it.....
GTKtino
+0|6767

B.Schuss wrote:

by the way, EA can market their products as they wish. No one will put a gun to your head and force you to buy anything the put out...

It's the same as with any other product on the market. If you want it, you gotta buy it. hail to capitalism !
wouldnt you say the propaganda and wut not is the gun? ive seen it around when i log in to bf2, and in forums. so when i ask my self "am i going to buy this" i say yea. and they didnt put the gun to my head worse yet , they put the gun in my head.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard