dshak
+4|6812
I'm sure I'm alone in this...

But does anyone else out there just want to slit their wrists slowly, one at a time, when reading a lot of these posts because of the slang? I'm a HEAVY BF2 player, just look at my hours to see that, but prior to BF2 I didn't play many games and hardly any online.

I hate the slang. If I find myself using it in these conversations I want to stab myself. Noob. own. flame. etc etc etc. Its like some kind of cyber ebonics.

I'm not too old just yet, but back in my day a jackass was just a jackass, when you were good at something you were just good at it (you didn't 'own'), and you bitched at people, you didn't flame them (sorry, but the last one sounds a little on the homosexual side).

I can't stand "gaming slang." These have to be some of the stupidest words I've ever heard. And before I get FLAMED (just threw up a little in my mouth as I typed that), I'm not talking smack about anyone who uses them, just the words themselves.

ANYONE out there feel the same way or is it just me?

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 01:46:32)

elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6780|Texas
yes
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6785

yes
Minnesoter
+2|6758
uh huh.
SrA_Shady
Slimshady -- The Real Medic
+0|6763|Sumter, South Carolina
this post pwns.  This guy owns at talkin smack about us 1337 gam0rz.  Its just too bad he's probably a noob in the game and chopper whores and camps and stuf and LINGO LING LINGO!!

ha ha.. just playing.....
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6836|A Small Isle in the Tropics

couldn't agree more.. which was why it got me started initially on this dictionary months ago.. BF2 was an eye opener in terms of

a) online gaming
b) terrific gameplay
c) gaming lingo (wtf, l337, noob, etc etc) because i signed up to the forums for the game 
Tyshalle83
+1|6751|Raleigh, NC
Why is it that everytime somebody makes a post like this, complaining about new internet lingo, or the way all these internet morons start typing like fucking retards with their "u r a n00b b cuz i no wut is dum n ur jus reely fukin stoopid dood" (a topic that frequently furiates me) there's always a handfull of assbags who think they're gonna be witty and type out a couple of sentences in the way the poster is complaining about, like this is high quality humor or something.

Seriously, why are their so many bags of asses out there?
dsb
+0|6776
what really drives me batshit is when little freaks intentially mistype words as part of the slang like "pwn."  Are they trying to broadcast the fact that they can't friggin spell?
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6812
Ever called a chick a noob? lol
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6764|Toronto Canada
greenie's mother is a noob
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6754

Just watch the videos at http://www.purepwnage.com...they're rather amusing as far as the language of idiots (these are the FPS Doug videos-- BOOM HEADSHOT stuff)
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

dsb wrote:

what really drives me batshit is when little freaks intentially mistype words as part of the slang like "pwn."  Are they trying to broadcast the fact that they can't friggin spell?
The point of the misspelt slang is NOT that a person can't spell. The point is that they're taking a moment to point out the commedy of internet chat. "PWN" didn't just spring up, it's a misspelling of "OWN". By repeating the misspelling, a person isn't usually being an idiot, but is well aware of the mistake and actively uses it as comedy.

Back to the orginal post:

As for being sick or "gamer lingo" get the fuck over it. Right now. Seriously.

The technical term for your "gamer lingo"/"slang" is JARGON, while the first definition does not apply (because the words do, in fact, have a meaning) the rest are nearly perfectly correct.

That said, jargon exists EVERYWHERE. Go into a mechanics shop and listen to them talk. Sit at a meeting of unix administrators and listen. Go have a business lunch between two laywers. ALL of these people are going to be using the "slang" of their respective communities that YOU are not going to understand. Maybe you will understand some of it. Regardless, simply blowing up at them because they do so, only make you look intolerant and upset for not being included in the clique.

Your raging doesn't do anything to help a problem that doesn't really exists. Most of the gamers *I* know could write a fantastic english essay -- but when you play the role, be it laywer, mechanic, businessman, or gamer you adopt the language of the land.
dsb
+0|6776

chuyskywalker wrote:

As for being sick or "gamer lingo" get the fuck over it. Right now. Seriously.
Yeah!  Cuz chuy said so...
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6780
Amen chuy.

I'm tired of posts like this complaining about the "jargon". It comes with the territory, it's part of the culture.

Now that being said, I do hate the posts from people who really can't spell and write like my 3rd-grade niece.
dsb
+0|6776

Bubkin wrote:

Amen chuy.

I'm tired of posts like this complaining about the "jargon". It comes with the territory, it's part of the culture.

Now that being said, I do hate the posts from people who really can't spell and write like my 3rd-grade niece.
Does not knowing that when quotes end a sentence the ending punctuation should be inside the quotes count as writing like your 3rd-grade niece?

Example:
...about the "jargon".  = incorrect
...about the "jargon."  = correct

Just curious.
Badcomp
+2|6787|U.S.
I don't mind the talk as long as it exist within the realm of where it is needed. Yea, jargon does exist in every facet of ones area of expertise or employment. What I don't care for is when the gaming jargon flows into everyday life, especially amognst our school aged youth.
As an example, my sister is a grade school teacher. As such she hears the conversations they have on a daily basis and sometime sits in wonderment about what  they are actually saying. One day she called me up to chit chat and asked if I had heard or knows what  "seven," "three," "three," "t" means. I laughed and asked where she saw that at. Explaining it to her was completely impossible. She doesn't game, never has or never will. She really couldn't fathom how that hodge-podge mix of characters could mean elite.
She said one of the kids put that in a paper they were assugned to write about something they like and why...blah blah.

In game, it's ok, but when it filters out into everyday life...that's when I think it becomes annoying.

Last edited by Badcomp (2005-11-07 08:04:18)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6785

chuyskywalker wrote:

Your raging doesn't do anything to help a problem that doesn't really exists. Most of the gamers *I* know could write a fantastic english essay -- but when you play the role, be it laywer, mechanic, businessman, or gamer you adopt the language of the land.
I think the problem is when people use jargon too much, out of context, or refuse to explain to those less-leet-educated.  If I started talking all army-like only a few people here would understand it.  If one of you asked me what I was trying to say I would explain it in 'normal' terms.  Try that in a game? "OMG@!!JOOOHNOOOOB!JHAHAHAH" ... etc.
I think you get the point.  The harrassment and dumbass attitudes associated with said jargon is the problem, not the jargon itself.

"Hey man, lets take the g-wagon down to the CFPO to grab our UABs before we have to fill out the boys' PDRs.  I love TLAs."  Who can name the abbreviations? ;D
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6785

dsb wrote:

Does not knowing that when quotes end a sentence the ending punctuation should be inside the quotes count as writing like your 3rd-grade niece?
Example:
Just curious.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=3304
dshak
+4|6812
chuy,

love your site, don't mean to challenge you on your own turf by any means, but common....

get the fuck over it eh? sometimes people crack me up.  I simply LOVE it when people go into a forum that exists for the sole purpose of complaining, and then tell people to stop complaining. I have every right in the world to be annoyed by this ridiculous JARGON. In fact, based on the responses I'm not alone.

In closing, its not the existence of jargon that bothers me, that I'm complaining about, but the fact that gaming jargon consists of some of the most retarded words in all of the history of man kind.

get the fuck over that.

seriously.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 09:26:09)

samstar81
Straddle my Member
+0|6758|The Netherlands

SrA_Shady wrote:

this post pwns.  This guy owns at talkin smack about us 1337 gam0rz.  Its just too bad he's probably a noob in the game and chopper whores and camps and stuf and LINGO LING LINGO!!

ha ha.. just playing.....

Tyshalle83 wrote:

Why is it that everytime somebody makes a post like this, complaining about new internet lingo, or the way all these internet morons start typing like fucking retards with their "u r a n00b b cuz i no wut is dum n ur jus reely fukin stoopid dood" (a topic that frequently furiates me) there's always a handfull of assbags who think they're gonna be witty and type out a couple of sentences in the way the poster is complaining about, like this is high quality humor or something.

Seriously, why are their so many bags of asses out there?
lol to both
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6780

dsb wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

Amen chuy.

Example:

Just curious.
Yeah, like that. Pisses me off to no end.
redfoxster
Chopper Whore Extraordinaire
+3|6771

Bubkin wrote:

dsb wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

Amen chuy.

Example:

Just curious.
Yeah, like that. Pisses me off to no end.
You sir, are very lame.

I sometimes dislike the huge transformation words undergo, I can see "own" being used often, and the acidental mistype "pwn" that follows often, but the transformation to pwnt to panwed to God knows what, it's just a little too much for me, but all in all, I guess it does just come with the territory.
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6780|Texas

dsb wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

Amen chuy.

Example:

Just curious.
What about adding commas where they should be?  ....sentence, the ending punctuation should be inside the quotes, count.....

I had to read that sentence 3 times to understand it.

I totally bwned my girlfriend last night.  Take that n00blet.

Last edited by elbowdeeplove (2005-11-07 09:54:03)

doxy
+74|6789|Nevis
dsb
+0|6776

elbowdeeplove wrote:

I totally bwned my girlfriend last night.  Take that n00blet.
lol @ "bwned."

Actually, although that sentence may have been awkward, there were no commas missing.  Commas are often overused because people mistake a natural pause in the way a sentence is spoken for a place where a comma should be put when, in fact, that is not the case.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard