BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6742|London UK

Just wondering is anyone else an alcoholic?

I know I say it in quite a jokign mannor, but I have been drinking nearly every evening for about 3 years now.

I dont get drunk every evening, sometimes just a few beers, infact I very rarely get drunk now, because I know all too well the side effects of waking up the next morning feeling like shit.

Most nights I will drink about 4 - 6 cans of beer  (1 can is 500ml at 4%  so about 2 units each)

I can do this and wake up feeling absolutely fine.

I dont drink in the day, only after work. I havnt gone a day without a drink now for a long time, and really Im not to sure if I still could, nor do I particularly want to try.
I exercise regularly, eat reasonably healthy and I dont smoke

I love alcohol, I liek the way its relaxes you in teh evening, makes music sound better and makes it easy fall asleep and get a good nights sleep.

So, for me at this stage in my life, I dont really think it is a problem at all, although I know I am classed as an alcoholic.

Anyone mind sharing your own thoughts about alcohol and you?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6716|The United Center
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only disease you can get yelled at for having. "Dammit, Otto, you are an alcoholic." "Dammit, Otto, you have Lupus." One of those two doesn't sound right.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Except people don't go out and voluntarily give themselves Lupus.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA
I have 3 DUI's in the state of California (driving under the influence)

I would say that throughout my high school and college years I was drinking alcoholically all the time.

But the real question is what is a normal drinker and what is an alcoholic??

I would say if drinking has created negative consequences for you, and you continue to drink despite those negative consequences, then you ARE an alcoholic. 

I continue to drink sparingly, but when I have been drinking I have gotten shitfaced! Granted I havent gotten in anymore trouble in a year, but still I continue to drink.  An educated counselor would say that I am indeed an alcoholic, because I have 3 dui's and continue to booze despite the horrible punishment that goes along with a dui. 

The only way to guarantee NOT to get in anymore trouble would be obviously stop drinking.  But for me it was more of a combo of coke/booze that would get me the dui's, plus all the dui's were before I was 25.  I think that when I drink, I drink way more than the normal person, but I dont need a drink all the time.  I dont get the shakes, I do however get feelings of wanting a beer/cocktail in a certain situation.  I would say as long as I drink but dont drive, I will be okay, I am positive that I dont want to go through a dui again.

I would say that you are an alcoholic, by the way alcohol "helps" you do things.  You say alcohol helps you sleep and relax etc. that is typical for an alcoholic to say about the effects of the drug.  As long as you are not an asshole to those around you, and allowing alcohol to effect work/financial things in your life, you should be fine.  You could be a functioning alcoholic, then its only a matter of time till you have a misfunction, and everything goes to shit. . . We walk a fine line with alcohol!!! Research it more if your getting concerned, but I think its safe to say without alcohol you probably get restless and irritable, which is totally alcoholic symptoms.

Last edited by fadedsteve (2006-08-19 01:25:51)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
The US 'definition' of what alcoholism is a lttle over the top. By their 'definition' practically everyone in Ireland is an alcoholic. Real alcoholism is when you have become dependent on alcohol - when you need to drink every day and find it difficult to cope with not having your fix. We Irish drink to excess on a regular basis but we can take it or leave it - we are still in control.
Budo7
+2|6742
I am a drunk who no longer drinks, so yes I am an alcoholic. Everyone has a different view on what a true alcoholic is. An alcholic is a person who no fault of his/her own has a disease, some folks bodys react different from others when the drink. The only person who can tell you , that you are an alcoholic is you.
For those who think, well if it's just from taking a drink then don't drink. Sadly once a person becomes a full blown drunk, they are well past that stage,were taking or not taking the first drink is an option. We all stub our toes, the DUI's and stuff, like that. However a normal person learns from their mistakes, while a drunk tells themself that it will be different this time. A person who is an active alcoholic is by definition insane. Heres why,doing the same action over and over again, and expecting different results is insane.
If anyone has had a loved one who is an alcoholic then you understand what I mean.

The great thing about aclcoholicism is there is a way not to cure it, but to arrest it.
Now please don't get me wrong, once a person understands what an alcoholic is, and understands that they are, there is no excuss for them not to try to get help. So please at that point limit your pity for those folks with a termanl illeness that there is no cure nor is there a way to arrest it.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616
Reminds me of a South Park episode. Alcoholism is not a disease. You are not born with alcoholism, nor is it an incurable and progressive illness, as Alcoholics Anonymous would have you believe, but rather a self-harming behavior problem. It is simply a matter of willpower. If an alcoholic is willing to identify and thoroughly address their issues, then there is no reason why he or she should not be able to consciously change their problematic behavior patterns. Calling alcoholism a disease is as stupid as calling addiction to World of Warcraft a disease. Futhermore, any of you alcoholics who attempt to refute this are simply looking for an excuse to justify your lack of willpower. Hypothetically, let's assume alcohol, is, in fact, a disease. All one would have to do to cure that "disease" is NOT DRINK. With that in mind, how rediculous does labeling this a disease sound?

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-08-19 08:28:00)

Although I stopped most of my heavy drinking, I still drink beers.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6679|Wilmington, DE, US
Alcoholics Anonymous is a bunch of nazis.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6547|Florida
I usually drink a beer a night
one_of_ten
+7|6626|Brussels, Belgium
I'm not alcoholic but I could be as I tend to drink a lot but yet not enough to be drunk and I have never been drunk in my life and I also don't drink every day but I could and I try to just don't do it because I know that I am able to act like Fancy_Pollux said (self-harming behaviour).

I like alcohol for the taste of the drink (Guinness, Jameson Whiskey) not for the effects of alcohol, I find it miserable to drink only to get drunk and act like a dumb like a lot of people do here (mostly students).

I don't think that it's a problem to drink alone as I do it for the taste most of the time but I sometimes do it for the "time distortion effect" , when you drink , time seems to go faster.
tvmissleman
The Cereal Killer
+201|6628| United States of America
i dont drink at all
PuN!sHer
+18|6529
I only drink at partys, with my friends. But never alone.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6547|Florida

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

All one would have to do to cure that "disease" is NOT DRINK.
Maybe Magic Johnson should just NOT HAVE HIV.  Or maybe one with cancer should just NOT have cancer. Problem solved, simple enough.  Fancy is right, Its dumb to call alcohol a disease, because unlike alcohol, people with cancer, hiv, etc, cannot just wake up one day and say "Im going to quit cancer today" or "Im going to quit HIV today, Im tired of having problems".  It doesnt work that way.  They cannot go get help in a place such as AA "Welcome to AA" "My name is Ed, I have cancer and its starting to ruin my life".  I have a feeling they would all look at you as if your retarded.
stratozyck
+35|6602
I recently decided to quit drinking 100%.... For much of the past 3 years I drank every night, usually around a 12 pack a night.  I moved from light beers to regular (50% more alcohol), and those are 50% more addictive.  It got to the point that every night around 9pm I would keep looking at the clock... had to go to the store... just had to.  I would make myself promise not to, and then some little thing would make me go, "Ok! Yeah now I have a good excuse to drink!" 
I used to love drinking and playing Bf2.. made me feel like I wasn't drinking alone.  Now, I've been playing it more sober and have realized I am better sober (just made 1st Lieut). 
Deciding to quit 100% was a process... First I said, can't do it every night.  That was really a struggle.  After two nights in a row of not drinking, Id always end up drinking the next 5 nights. 
South Park was right, calling it a disease on the same level of real diseases (will power wont cure cancer!) is rediculous.  I've come to learn you have to replace that habit with something or you will end up going back.  I've started walking more, and reading at night instead of drinking.  Reading has the same stress relieving effect really.
My older brother, who was way way way much more into it than I ever was or probably ever would be, just tried to stop but failed.  Its really sad seeing what its down to his personality.  He holds a decent job, but his social life is gone as all he does when he comes home from work is get plastered and go to bed.  Alcoholism is heavily in my family tree (The polish side drinks vodka, the French side wine and beer).  I now understand what will happen if I don't stop now, and it is easier to stop now than tomorrow.  Drinking HAS ruined several relationships for me, although I have never gotten a DUI. 
For those who think they might have a problem - you probably do.  For those that can drink a six pack a day and are ok with that - thats fine too.  A six pack a day isn't 12, nor is it hard liquor.  Still, I am going to find it REALLY hard not to drink when football (that is AMERICAN football ;-) ) starts back up in a few weeks.  Wish me luck...
phnxfrhwk
+14|6642|Just outside of baltimore, Md.
I wouldnt say I was an alcoholic more of a binge drinker. Id start drinking one night and continued to drink for days on end. Id wake up and drink beer and carry on about my buisness throughout the day drinking. sometimes this only lasted a few days other times a few weeks. Id stop for a week or two and go at it again. Oddly enough I stopped drinking except when out with friends at a bar when I got married. Then when I found out my wife was cheating on me and I got a divorce I just stopped drinking all together for a few months. But now I guess I would consider myself a social drinker.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6649

CameronPoe wrote:

The US 'definition' of what alcoholism is a lttle over the top. By their 'definition' practically everyone in Ireland is an alcoholic. Real alcoholism is when you have become dependent on alcohol - when you need to drink every day and find it difficult to cope with not having your fix. We Irish drink to excess on a regular basis but we can take it or leave it - we are still in control.
STFU , you hate America so much you even talk shit about it's "definition" of an Alcoholic . JUST STFU commie/alcoholic .
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616

jonnykill wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

STFU , you hate America so much you even talk shit about it's "definition" of an Alcoholic . JUST STFU commie/alcoholic .
I'm convinced that this forum is a breeding ground for retards.
gordon
+5|6518|Switzerland
I just had to quit a round because I has spilled a beer on my keyboard (... again)

makes me this an alcoholic?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6625|United States of America
I used to drink a lot when I was younger.  By a lot I mean a 12-24 beers a day for weeks at a time when I worked on a farm.  I also smoked about 2 packs of cigs a day.  After I stopped working around heavy drinkers and smokers I started only smoking/drinking scotch in bars a couple night a week.  When I got married I stopped going to bars and now I will maybe drink a couple 5ths of scotch in a couple/three months and that is because I usually drink about 1/2 a fifth in an evening while visiting with friends.  I also tend to only smoke when I drink so I don't smoke much either anymore. 

The moral of the story is I now go weeks without even thinking about drinking and smoking and only do those things socially.  If I was in Ireland or around more people who smoke and drink I would definitely be considered an Alcoholic and addicted to cigs by US standards.  Yet I don't have an addictive personality and thus don't get addicted to things easily.  Obviously though the more your brain gets accustomed to a chemical the more chance it may make you FEEL you need that chemical in its absence.  I think everyone is different in how long you need to be exposed and how strongly your brain will react to the absence of a particular chemical it has been exposed to repeatedly.

An addiction is an Addiction and not a Disease.  Also a baby can be born an Alcoholic or addicted to drugs due to the mothers drug use, but it is still an Addiction.  Calling it a Disease is just another way Liberals have found to make everyone a Victim and nobody Responsible for their actions.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6625|United States of America

jonnykill wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Actually this is the only thing I have agreed with Cameron about in 2 months......  I must be wrong.
I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6453|denmark

BUDFORCE wrote:

Just wondering is anyone else an alcoholic?

I know I say it in quite a jokign mannor, but I have been drinking nearly every evening for about 3 years now.

I dont get drunk every evening, sometimes just a few beers, infact I very rarely get drunk now, because I know all too well the side effects of waking up the next morning feeling like shit.

Most nights I will drink about 4 - 6 cans of beer  (1 can is 500ml at 4%  so about 2 units each)

I can do this and wake up feeling absolutely fine.

I dont drink in the day, only after work. I havnt gone a day without a drink now for a long time, and really Im not to sure if I still could, nor do I particularly want to try.
I exercise regularly, eat reasonably healthy and I dont smoke

I love alcohol, I liek the way its relaxes you in teh evening, makes music sound better and makes it easy fall asleep and get a good nights sleep.

So, for me at this stage in my life, I dont really think it is a problem at all, although I know I am classed as an alcoholic.

Anyone mind sharing your own thoughts about alcohol and you?
I'd say - try stop drinking alcohol at all for one month.. and if you can do that, without a single drop of alcohol or feeling just the slightest need for alcohol, in order to feel non-uncomfortable, then you're NOT an alcoholic... but if you do, you ARE..
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6514|Sverige (SWE)
Every country has different wives at the definition of alcoholism is.. some country's i tradition/every day life to drink and some you ar an alcoholic just for being drunk 2 weekends in a row.....
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6679|Charlie One Alpha

tvmissleman wrote:

i dont drink at all
Same here.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/IlmarJoubert/intarnetfive.jpg

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2006-08-19 12:30:05)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Chou
+737|6760

LaidBackNinja wrote:

tvmissleman wrote:

i dont drink at all
Same here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ … etfive.jpg
Whehe

Ontopic: I feel no pitty for alcoholics, Give them a cave in the Sahara and a liquor infuse.

Say hello to my friend

https://www.epath.org/blog/uploaded_images/alcoholic-766131.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard