Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6760
The ACLU got a little victory today.
Under the guise of "the war on terror", the Bush administration has been conducting wiretaps (phonetaps) and reading private emails without a court order.  In the past, govn't had to have cause, and they had to obtain a warrant.

Well, today the ACLU's challenge that this was a violation of the Constitution and rights of privacy was upheld by a federal court judge. 

Court rules secret wiretaps violate rights

What do you think?  Should the govn't have to get a court order before tapping anyone's phone and email?
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6665|WPB, FL. USA
The ACLU "Judge shopped" and knew this was the person who would rule against a republican President.
Now go read the ruling - I did - and you'll find why she will be overruled even before it gets to the Supreme Court.  I would suggest you not show your stripes so obviously - the gloating gave you away.
Can you spell W-A-R  !!!!  My family and I are both safe and have nothing to hide...

Kaboom.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6498|Menlo Park, CA
Yea, but it wont be hard to obtain that court order!

All the authorities need is probable cause, and thats not too hard for the police to figure out.  I doubt it will be tough when Abu Mustafa is contacting a known terrorist in Pakistan, from his cell phone in Dearborn, Mich.  Pretty sure the cops can get a court order to check his phone and tap that shit!

I dont know why everyone is up in arms about this ruling! If Britain has tougher terrorist laws than we do, than were in trouble, and not getting it!! Give the authorities what they need to catch these assholes!!!
psychotoxic187
+11|6716

Rick_O_Shea678 wrote:

Under the guise of "the war on terror", the Bush administration has been conducting wiretaps (phonetaps) and reading private emails without a court order.  In the past, govn't had to have cause, and they had to obtain a warrant.

Well, today the ACLU's challenge that this was a violation of the Constitution and rights of privacy was upheld by a federal court judge. 

What do you think?  Should the govn't have to get a court order before tapping anyone's phone and email?
They have been wiretapping long before Bush, and will continue to long after he's gone. They have been doing this since the 60's.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6760
I'm not gloating.  I'm asking for opinion.

As to the judge's decision being "overruled", that is very likely.  On a matter of this importance, I expect Appeals Courts to keep passing it on like a hot potato, until the Supreme Court gives their opinion.

But I bet it never goes that far, and the government drops its appeals somewhere along the way.

re: "wiretapping long before Bush"...yeah, but they always got a court order in the past.  Not hard to get, true, but that was the procedure.

Last edited by Rick_O_Shea678 (2006-08-17 20:27:42)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

The ACLU "Judge shopped" and knew this was the person who would rule against a republican President.
Now go read the ruling - I did - and you'll find why she will be overruled even before it gets to the Supreme Court.  I would suggest you not show your stripes so obviously - the gloating gave you away.
Can you spell W-A-R  !!!!  My family and I are both safe and have nothing to hide...

Kaboom.
Can you give a link to the ruling? I can't find it.

And do you have any sources on the "judge shopping"? Curious to know how that's possible. I am very ignorant about how judges are chosen for cases.
[KS]RECON
+35|6569|E 2/351 Camp Anaconda
Let them wiretaps, read e-mails and everything else necessary to keep us, the American people safe ... The government is doing it for all of us, to protect us and yes they do not violate our rights of privacy, because they do not know who is Mr.X or Mrs. Z but just making sure that Mr.X is not a treat to the country or anybody else. I support them.
Why against if you have nothing to hide? or may be you do, hmmm ...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

fadedsteve wrote:

Yea, but it wont be hard to obtain that court order!

All the authorities need is probable cause, and thats not too hard for the police to figure out.  I doubt it will be tough when Abu Mustafa is contacting a known terrorist in Pakistan, from his cell phone in Dearborn, Mich.  Pretty sure the cops can get a court order to check his phone and tap that shit!

I dont know why everyone is up in arms about this ruling! If Britain has tougher terrorist laws than we do, than were in trouble, and not getting it!! Give the authorities what they need to catch these assholes!!!
Britain doesn't haver tougher anti-terrorist laws than the US, don't worry. We aren't allowed to hold people without trial, like in Guantanamo. In fact there was just a hearing before one of the top judges, concerning the attempted plane bombing suspects, the police wanted more time to interview/interrogate them before they had to charge them and they've got another month or something.

I think it's a very good thing that the US government needs a court order to look at emails and conduct phone taps. It shouldn't be hard to get and shouldn't interfere with tracking down real terror suspects, but civil liberties are a great thing - Liberty being a concept very in line with American thinking and I certainly think that it's good that peoples privacy is not going to be invaded without court orders.

It won't be hard for the government to get it's court orders when they are needed, nor should it be. But it is good that they do need to.
alpinestar
+304|6603|New York City baby.

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

My family and I are both safe and have nothing to hide...

Kaboom.
Then watch this.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … &hl=en
[KS]RECON

alpinestar wrote:

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

Kaboom.
Then watch this.
So what??? Half of the photos are not even US related
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles

[KS]RECON wrote:

Let them wiretaps, read e-mails and everything else necessary to keep us, the American people safe ... The government is doing it for all of us to protect us and yes they do not violate our rights of privacy, because they do not know who is Mr.X or Mrs. Z but just making sure that Mr.X is not a treat to the country or anybody else. I support them.
Personally I am against it because I like the Constitution. I agree with keeping the American people safe but I don't agree with taking a shit on the Bill of Rights to do so. KS RECON if you support "everything else necessary to keep us safe" would you agree to body cavity searches every day before you'd be allowed to enter your school or workplace? You might have a bomb up there. Or worse, some nail clippers or box cutters.
[KS]RECON

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

[KS]RECON wrote:

Let them wiretaps, read e-mails and everything else necessary to keep us, the American people safe ... The government is doing it for all of us to protect us and yes they do not violate our rights of privacy, because they do not know who is Mr.X or Mrs. Z but just making sure that Mr.X is not a treat to the country or anybody else. I support them.
Personally I am against it because I like the Constitution. I agree with keeping the American people safe but I don't agree with taking a shit on the Bill of Rights to do so. KS RECON if you support "everything else necessary to keep us safe" would you agree to body cavity searches every day before you'd be allowed to enter your school or workplace? You might have a bomb up there. Or worse, some nail clippers or box cutters.
you make point ... but is also sick to allow a fully armed teen near schools, right? The Government will find other more civilized ways to keep us safe, so no body cavity search will be necessary (example: e-mail quick check, no harm)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

psychotoxic187 wrote:

Rick_O_Shea678 wrote:

They have been wiretapping long before Bush, and will continue to long after he's gone. They have been doing this since the 60's.
FISA
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Colfax
PR Only
+70|6651|United States - Illinois
Multiple lawyers with in the administration and outside of the administrations have found it to be legal under the constitution. 

Also about gitmo.  If they aren't U.S. citizens they have not rights under our constitution.  They answer to no laws so why should our laws apply to them.  They are terrorists they have no rights.

They don't know who they are listening to and they are only listening for key words and phrases.  If they need to find out who they are listening to a court order is needed.
alpinestar

[KS]RECON wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

Kaboom.
Then watch this.
So what??? Half of the photos are not even US related
You clearly do not get the message in this video. Go watch CNN instead.
alpinestar
Constitution is the same piece of paper that gave us Presidency and wiretapping call by president is against it.
We do not have a King we have a President.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6651|Seattle, WA

Colfax wrote:

1) Multiple lawyers with in the administration and outside of the administrations have found it to be legal under the constitution. 

2) Also about gitmo.  If they aren't U.S. citizens they have not rights under our constitution.  They answer to no laws so why should our laws apply to them.  They are terrorists they have no rights.

3) They don't know who they are listening to and they are only listening for key words and phrases.  If they need to find out who they are listening to a court order is needed.
1) Yep

2) Yep, Enemy combatants

3) Most people don't know this, and just see wiretapping and go "OMG they are listening to my phone calls fux, what to do."

Also did you guys know that even if they hear you talking about selling pot or doing some other criminal activity, which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY because they don't just tap random calls, they can't even move on that suspicion because it is unrelated.  You people really need to take a law class or at least do some reading before you make these ridicolous assumptions.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Colfax wrote:

Multiple lawyers with in the administration and outside of the administrations have found it to be legal under the constitution. 

Also about gitmo.  If they aren't U.S. citizens they have not rights under our constitution.  They answer to no laws so why should our laws apply to them.  They are terrorists they have no rights.

They don't know who they are listening to and they are only listening for key words and phrases.  If they need to find out who they are listening to a court order is needed.
People keep bringing up the fact that non-US citizens are not protected by the constitution and the right to fair trial. I should point out that EVERYONE has the right to fair trial under international law. But of course international law doesn't apply to America.

They are only terrorists with no rights once they have been proven to be terrorists in a court!

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-08-18 09:54:16)

Colfax
PR Only
Just like it is international law to not execute minors right (16 year old girl hung from a crane incident).  But Iran seems to do that with no problem.  And no consequences.

They wouldn't be in gitmo if they were not caught in the act of terrorism.

Last edited by Colfax (2006-08-18 10:03:51)

AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6651|Seattle, WA

Bertster7 wrote:

People keep bringing up the fact that non-US citizens are not protected by the constitution and the right to fair trial. I should point out that EVERYONE has the right to fair trial under international law. But of course international law doesn't apply to America.

They are only terrorists with no rights once they have been proven to be terrorists in a court!
Ok well this is what your missing chief...under International law, which does apply to America (enough hippy crap)......ENEMY COMBATANTS that are detained while IN BATTLE most certainly do not have the same rights as someone detained say, while being stopped in a traffic stop by the police. 

Those detained whilst in battle have been treated with respect and dignity, received food and prayer effects (rugs, Korans, etc).  Whats the problem?  We have to detain those that are trying to KILL US, don't you understand that they want to kill US, they don't care if your left or right or Jewish or Christian, they HATE AMERICA.  I wish that would change, but hey, its kind of hard to change someone's mind when they have a bomb strapped to their chest.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562

Colfax wrote:

Oh yeah - that right: everyone in Gitmo is a terrorist. Did that also apply before they released those three British Gitmo 'terrorists' and several others that were also released?
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6738|Michigan
I think it's funny how none of this wire tap is mentioned until Bush came into office.
As many have said, this has been done since wire tap was created by every administration.

The whole problem is the Democrats trying to find anything they can to make Bush and Republicans look bad so they can take the next election.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6651|Seattle, WA

CameronPoe wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Oh yeah - that right: everyone in Gitmo is a terrorist. Did that also apply before they released those three British Gitmo 'terrorists' and several others that were also released?
Well its not terrorism per se, it could be, but the majority that are in are enemy combatants from Iraq/Afghanistan and other places.

Of course everyone in Gitmo isn't a terrorist, but they are certainly suspected of it, with good reason most of the time, mistakes are made.  But hey I wouldn't mind being detained for however long it would take to ensure the safety of my country.  I would rather spend 3 years in jail than see thousands of my fellow countrymen DIE.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6651|Seattle, WA

spacebandit72 wrote:

The whole problem is the Democrats trying to find anything they can to make Bush and Republicans look bad so they can take the next election.
DING DING DING DING, we have a winner.  Tell em what he's won Johnny!!

Johnny: He's one a +1, good job!!!!!
Colfax
PR Only

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Well its not terrorism per se, it could be, but the majority that are in are enemy combatants from Iraq/Afghanistan and other places.

Of course everyone in Gitmo isn't a terrorist, but they are certainly suspected of it, with good reason most of the time, mistakes are made.  But hey I wouldn't mind being detained for however long it would take to ensure the safety of my country.  I would rather spend 3 years in jail than see thousands of my fellow countrymen DIE.
Better put then my "all of them are terrorists" comment...for that i am sry

Last edited by Colfax (2006-08-18 10:12:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard