Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6607|132 and Bush

Is sli worth it ? Should I wait for DX 10 cards now. For me it's nvdia 7950 or go for sli. I guess what I'm looking for is there any news regarding dates for dx10.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6757|Chicago.
I'm waiting to buy a whole new rig when DX10 comes out, it will be worth the wait. As for relase dates, I have no idea.
MECtallica
+73|6511|jalalabad
DX 10 is vista only

so next year, summer ish?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6607|132 and Bush

Mine is being made now.. I'm not a DIY guy, but I can still change stuff like the card while the chip is on the way Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4MB Cache 
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6607|132 and Bush

MECtallica wrote:

DX 10 is vista only

so next year, summer ish?
Jan 07 so far..
http://www.vistastop.com/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6725|Las Vegas
Personally I'd rather buy a top of the line card every other release than have 2 older cards in SLI.  For example, I had an X800XT, skipped X1800 (thank god) and now X1900XT.  Next up will be a DX10 card as X1950XT is just not worth an upgrade.  Now I could have went crossfire with my X800XT for about $1100 at the time, and after dropping so much money I'd probably still be using them.  Instead, I've spent about the same amount of money, but I am way better off with the X1900XT than with 2 X800Xts.  Likewise, if I'd went the crossfire route with 2 1900XTs, I'd probably not be too excited about dropping them when DX 10 cards hit. For the performance difference involved (unless you just have cash to throw away) it's way too expensive to keep up with tech. going the SLI route.

Not sure this logic would apply to everyone but it makes better sense to me.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6678
I just built and SLI system for a friend who didn't have enough for dual cards and was debating on this.  You can always upgrade later and will run the same as an AGP system.

So I say yes.  At least you have the option down the road to upgrade.  Only systems (Gaming) I build are SLI wether they are running one card or two.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6607|132 and Bush

NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI is my mobo, so we where see where I end up..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cactusfist
Pusher of sausages Down Hallways
+26|6574
My clanleader has a 7950 SLI GeForce.

He runs oblivion maxed out at 70 FPS on a 200W thingymabob
CommieChipmunk
+488|6576|Portland, OR, USA

Cactusfist wrote:

My clanleader has a 7950 SLI GeForce.

He runs oblivion maxed out at 70 FPS on a 200W thingymabob
no way in hell he has a 200w psu..
djhspawn
+8|6643|Lakeside, Ca
This is good info, I going to be purchasing a Mac Pro (I dont need to hear bashing about the macs), and I have the choice of 3x Nvidia 7300 (I have never heard of running three) or one 1900XT. Does anyone have any insight on this?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6535|Global Command
I have Nvidia 7800 X 2 in sli.
Bad ass.
edit on ps,
I went through three units before I stepped up to 750, dont waste your money go big and never buy a case with a ps unless your wanting a tinkerless unit you dont modify.

Last edited by ATG (2006-08-16 22:39:33)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6607|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

I have Nvidia 7800 X 2 in sli.
Bad ass.
edit on ps,
I went through three units before I stepped up to 750, dont waste your money go big and never buy a case with a ps unless your wanting a tinkerless unit you dont modify.
My new one is 650.. hopefully that's enough juice.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6548|Winterpeg, Canada
not totally on topic, but isn't vista gonna be like the OS for uber noobs?
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6658

Jbrar wrote:

not totally on topic, but isn't vista gonna be like the OS for uber noobs?
Sort of, the thing that's really annoying with Vista is that it takes a LOT to make it how you want it to run. Microsoft want you to run it their way with little choice, hence you have crap like UAC interrogating you for everything you try to do.

I swear, if the Nazis ever make a resurgence they'll demand that everyone have UAC running. It's that bad.

There are a number of things I don't like about Vista, however.. this isn't a ten things I hate about Vista thread so I won't go into it.

As to sli, he could hold off for DX10 cards. Depends, does he feel he needs DX10. You need to remember that more than likely DX10 and DX9 games will probably look identical, since the game makers won't want to lose sales since not many people will have Vista for a year or two after Vista appears. Game makers will be making dual Direct3D versions of games just like they did a few years ago.
=]7[=Banh_Bao
+3|6660
Can you wait that long is really the ?.  If not then go SLI.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6850|Waikato, Aotearoa
Clanleader running 2x7950 in SLi on a 200W PSU???? Yeah right - I dont think so.

I am running 2x7600GT's in SLi and I have a 500w PSU
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6529|Little blue planet, milky way
Well, check out the difference on FPS/performance between on ecard, and two of the same card in SLi. You will ntoice that the gain is VERY low. In fact, usually a lot lower than an upgrade to the next better performing card is a better investment.
That's not to say that SLi is bad... It really isn't. It's just not the double up performance, the same way it is on price (!) IMO that means you're wasting money. So unless you have cash to spare, dont bother with SLi. I WILL be getting a Phys-X card myelf once I can find one that's not prohibitively expensive. I hope that the Phys-X will be a better investment (performance wise) than SLi. Not many tests to proove it yet though. But the THEORY is good at least.
jsnipy
+3,276|6529|...

just get 7950gx2 and save some of the cost in luei o buying two cards ... on a mediocre proc (amd 4400 64x2)/2GB ram i get flawless framerate and can see MEC noseahairs

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-08-20 00:22:24)

bslapper
+7|6653|Auckland New Zealand
LOL i got  795o in Sli with twin digital raptors running in Raid
As for the dude with 200 watt psu lol dnt make me laugh  each card needs at least 2oo watt,  with tht i got a 750 watt psu. Add to that a fx62 and its a quick rig  , Real good for getting vehicles first and getting to the carrier on wake even beofre there spawn  VERY funny
Word of advie get a UPS 650d Dynamix power box  i dont want my cards to fry as New Zealand Sux for power  and then again it sux for internet  lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard