Poll

What is the greatest Heavy Metal Band of all times?

Black Sabbath9%9% - 19
Ac/dc12%12% - 27
Megadeth1%1% - 4
Metallica25%25% - 53
Pantera5%5% - 12
Iron Maiden11%11% - 24
System of a Down6%6% - 14
Motley Crue1%1% - 4
Kiss3%3% - 7
Other21%21% - 45
Total: 209
Darth_Rambo
+22|6708|Raleigh, NC
Of those listed....

1. Metallica             (Song: One)
2. Iron Maiden        (Song: Alexander the Great)
3. Megadeth           (Song: Symphony of Destruction)
4. AC/DC               (Song: Back in Black)
5. Black Sabbath    (Song: Paranoid)

Motley Crue & KISS.....please!
Not in the same league as the others.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6531|Boston, MA
Iron Maiden without a doubt, Metallica is overrated.
Erkut.hv
+124|6736|California
Black Sabbath : Godfathers of metal.
Ac/dc : Not metal, but top 5 greatest rock band of all time.
Megadeth : Good metal group, not the best.
Metallica : Pioneers, eons ahead of their time, true masters of every instrument.
Iron Maiden : More comical than metal, I don't get the appeal.
System of a Down : Nowhere near metal.
Motley Crue : 80's rock group, not metal, decent music though, for a hair band.
Kiss : Never metal, rock group with makeup, and the music wasn't that great.

Which leaves: Pantera, the baddest group of all time. Songs had a lot to do with looking inside ones self, harnessing inner anger, and releasing it.

Phil: Powerful vocals, and could actually sing when he needed to (Planet Caravan, Cemetary Gates)
Dimebag: One of top 5 guitarists, ever. Could match the sound live that was on the record, very rare for guitarists nowadays.
Rex: Heavy, heavy bass, could keep up with Dimebag and Vinnie
Vinnie: Set the tempo for all of the bonecrushing anger inspiring raw energy songs.

There is my case for Pantera. Not taking away from Metallica, but I am more of a Pantera fan.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

Erkut.hv wrote:

Black Sabbath : Godfathers of metal.
Ac/dc : Not metal, but top 5 greatest rock band of all time.
Megadeth : Good metal group, not the best.
Metallica : Pioneers, eons ahead of their time, true masters of every instrument.
Iron Maiden : More comical than metal, I don't get the appeal.
System of a Down : Nowhere near metal.
Motley Crue : 80's rock group, not metal, decent music though, for a hair band.
Kiss : Never metal, rock group with makeup, and the music wasn't that great.

Which leaves: Pantera, the baddest group of all time. Songs had a lot to do with looking inside ones self, harnessing inner anger, and releasing it.

Phil: Powerful vocals, and could actually sing when he needed to (Planet Caravan, Cemetary Gates)
Dimebag: One of top 5 guitarists, ever. Could match the sound live that was on the record, very rare for guitarists nowadays.
Rex: Heavy, heavy bass, could keep up with Dimebag and Vinnie
Vinnie: Set the tempo for all of the bonecrushing anger inspiring raw energy songs.

There is my case for Pantera. Not taking away from Metallica, but I am more of a Pantera fan.
They're all metal bands, you may say someone is more hardcore or hair but at last they all come to metal.  Anyway I agree with you in what you said 'bout Pantera.  Let me say that Cowboys from Hell defines the perfect heavy metal album.  Although, Vulgar Display of Power is a bonecrasher, I think Cowboys from Hell is sublime.  And Dimebag without any doubt one of the best guitarists ever.  His tragic murder in dec/04 took us one of the greatest musicians of our time.
Crispin
+13|6478|Amarillo Tx
Metallica, been to so many shows they put on and god damn did i walk in stright and left with a high!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina
For those who say these bands are not metal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Greatest_Metal_Songs
kardinalios
+7|6692|Greece
Up the Ironz

I still like Metallicaz music but got sick of them (Ulrich by the way) cause of the Napster...

Last edited by kardinalios (2006-08-16 13:00:42)

mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6540|The Lost Highway
Defiantly Black Sabbath. They started it all.

I'm shocked that Slayer isn't on here.... And System of a Down is? Wtbf?!
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6645|Ohio
Impossible choice, Sabbath or Maiden? I had to say Sabbath, they were the first. Led Zepplin is the greatest Rock band EVER, but they arent metal, so I agree they shouldnt be on there, but they did have a huge influence on Metal.

And I really dont think Motley Crue or System of a Down are Heavy Metal, like alot of other people said, but kiss has been metal sometimes, I mean, Detroit Rock City? Deffinetely metal in my opinion, but possibly not Heavy enough for this poll

And yes, Slayer, and Judas Priest should be on there.

Another option id like to bring to the table: Rammstein. I like them and i dont even speak German.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6658|California
THIS IS THE WORST GROUPING AND LISTING FOR THE QUESTION!?!?

not all are metal and the best metal bands arent even there!?

Id rather not partake in this poll, but with what given i will chose  MEGADETH

keep banging thy head
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6545|Sverige (SWE)
Iron Maiden
Shadow893
lel
+75|6693|England
I voted other becasue I like hardcore German trance/dance. Sorry guys.
uber73
+188|6752|Brisbane
where the FUCK is SLAYER??????
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

keep banging thy head
Then name which of the list aren't metal bands and which would you put in pls?
You may say Slayer, Judas Priest, but why guys you keep saying they are not metal bands??
See the VH1 top 40 metal songs, and these bands are there.
Regarding System of a Down, you may like or not, but they are definitely a heavy metal band, that's the metal today.  Metallica does not record albums like Master of Puppets anymore, they record St.Anger, one big piece of shit.  Pantera doesn't exist anymore.  And Megadeth last records are very poor.  So System of a Down deserves to be there, last year they released 2 excellent albums, listen to them and say this isn't metal.  It doesn't matter if they've been playin for less time than the others.  They are a great metal band.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-08-16 14:41:38)

Ben>You
+90|6527
S Club Seven.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6740|Comber, Northern Ireland
MEGADETH, THEN SLAYER. metallica suck...i remember hearing this at a Megadeth concert in Belfast..." Exit light, metallica are shite....take my hand megadeths the better band!....so true
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

david363 wrote:

MEGADETH, THEN SLAYER. metallica suck...i remember hearing this at a Megadeth concert in Belfast..." Exit light, metallica are shite....take my hand megadeths the better band!....so true
I couldn't believe it!  Nobody had voted Megadeth until you.  I thought Megadeth would take a lot of votes.  But that's why I didn't do the poll multiselect, coz this way you have to choose the band that you like the most, even you like the others in the list.  I'm surprised for the few votes for Pantera too.  But the vote is free here.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-08-16 15:08:58)

SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6625
where's Slayer???????????????????????????
SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BrOk_MoRdU
Psychotic Sniper Inc.
+76|6552|The Land of Claywhore
Lamb of God
    Meshuggah
           Pantera
                Candaria
                       Slayer.....my top five.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

sergeriver wrote:

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

keep banging thy head
You may say Slayer, Judas Priest, but why guys you keep saying they are not metal bands??
Regarding System of a Down, you may like or not, but they are definitely a heavy metal band, that's the metal today.  Metallica does not record albums like Master of Puppets anymore, they record St.Anger, one big piece of shit.  Pantera doesn't exist anymore.  And Megadeth last records are very poor.  So System of a Down deserves to be there, last year they released 2 excellent albums, listen to them and say this isn't metal.  It doesn't matter if they've been playin for less time than the others.  They are a great metal band.
Well, I dont think you can explain metal bands refering to VH1 top40.

I think guys like MTV, VH1 and stuff dont even know the diffrences between MötleyCrüe and Dimmu Borgir!!!
Its pretty hard to explain the diffrences between metal (in all of his kinds) and hard rock. Well, talking about Heavy Metal all in all is way to complex. Look, I have diffrent tastes in metal, I prefer deathmetal, metalcore atm. Some others of you wont share my opinion and would say, buh, this has nothing to do with metal, only true- and powermetal are for real. You see?!

Its absolutley true, bands like Metallica and else maybe wouldnt exist without oldshool heros like Sabbath, Leppard, Zeppelin etc., just read interviews with your fav. musicians and they allways named those bands as idols. But imho, those old heros havent played music I would call metal with my sight.

The first band I´ve ever heard where I´ve said this is heavy metal was german band Accept. Balls to the walls, nough said! A buddy gave some of his M4ID3n records to me, I´ve copied them all. But there was no chance for Maiden to get nearly as hard as Accept. The voice, the guitars, the structures, just not hard enough in my opinion. The guys in Iron Maiden are pretty good musicians, fact, but I never found any balls in their songs (sry to the old Maiden fans )

The second band was Metallica, with the ride the lighning album. Just, wow. Hear those shredding guitars of Dave Mustaine, hear it!!! Never liked "Kill em all" at all. Then there was Slayers Hell Awaits! What the f*ck! Those guys are damn hard. What is this drummer doing, doublebass, blastbeats, wow. The guitars are freaking insane, the riffs are harder then a dick ever will get.

Long time no see, for a harder band. Then there was Pantera with cowboys from hell and dimebags wicked sick guitar techniques. Anselmos voice doesnt fit here at all imho. Vulgar display of power, boah! F*ck! Straight into your face! Anselmos voice, awesome. Clear on the one, brutal on the other side. Nice mix up!
Erm, to the guy talking about the first two albums of Pantera, just so you know it wasnt Cowboys and Vulgar!!! (Pantera existed since the late 80s, and was a hair-power-metalband way before Cowboys was released)

System of a down is not what I would call metal today. Ever heard of some swedish bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, or the americans Nevermore (the voicing sucks, but the instruments, way to go), the germans Heaven Shall burn. Compare SOAD to them, no chance at all, not even hard at all.

If I can play a song on guitars, bass and even drums after I´ve heard it once and without notes, it doesnt show me great techniques which are a must for my metal taste. Not braggin here, but when I started playing the guitars and drums (I was only 11) I´ve recorded Sabbaths paranoid (dont know the album title, is it paranoid too?!) album in my parents house with a four tracker within three days, and it wasnt very difficult to do so.

Well, this where just my two cents again.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6562|Southampton, UK

Sabbath ftw, doesn't matter if any of the bands were "before" you, they are still simply the best.
hordi74
+16|6465|Capital City of Nds, Germany

5peedy wrote:

METALLICA!!!! reload, black album and ride the lightning are the best, but all are awesome
word!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

keep banging thy head
Well, I dont think you can explain metal bands refering to VH1 top40.

I think guys like MTV, VH1 and stuff dont even know the diffrences between MötleyCrüe and Dimmu Borgir!!!
Its pretty hard to explain the diffrences between metal (in all of his kinds) and hard rock. Well, talking about Heavy Metal all in all is way to complex. Look, I have diffrent tastes in metal, I prefer deathmetal, metalcore atm. Some others of you wont share my opinion and would say, buh, this has nothing to do with metal, only true- and powermetal are for real. You see?!
I gave you an example only that I'm not the only one calling these bands metal.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

Its absolutley true, bands like Metallica and else maybe wouldnt exist without oldshool heros like Sabbath, Leppard, Zeppelin etc., just read interviews with your fav. musicians and they allways named those bands as idols. But imho, those old heros havent played music I would call metal with my sight.
Absolutely true about they were the founders of metal.  They were the first metal, so they're metal today.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

The first band I´ve ever heard where I´ve said this is heavy metal was german band Accept. Balls to the walls, nough said! A buddy gave some of his M4ID3n records to me, I´ve copied them all. But there was no chance for Maiden to get nearly as hard as Accept. The voice, the guitars, the structures, just not hard enough in my opinion. The guys in Iron Maiden are pretty good musicians, fact, but I never found any balls in their songs (sry to the old Maiden fans )
Dude, Maiden kicks ass.  Accept IMHO is pretty vulgar.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

The second band was Metallica, with the ride the lighning album. Just, wow. Hear those shredding guitars of Dave Mustaine, hear it!!! Never liked "Kill em all" at all. Then there was Slayers Hell Awaits! What the f*ck! Those guys are damn hard. What is this drummer doing, doublebass, blastbeats, wow. The guitars are freaking insane, the riffs are harder then a dick ever will get.
Don't forget Master of Puppets, with the 8 minutes awesome songs.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

Long time no see, for a harder band. Then there was Pantera with cowboys from hell and dimebags wicked sick guitar techniques. Anselmos voice doesnt fit here at all imho. Vulgar display of power, boah! F*ck! Straight into your face! Anselmos voice, awesome. Clear on the one, brutal on the other side. Nice mix up!
Erm, to the guy talking about the first two albums of Pantera, just so you know it wasnt Cowboys and Vulgar!!! (Pantera existed since the late 80s, and was a hair-power-metalband way before Cowboys was released)
I know that Pantera existed before Anselmo, but it became the Heavy Metal Beast when he joind 'em, so I consider Cowboys from Hellk their first album, despite what they recorded before.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

System of a down is not what I would call metal today. Ever heard of some swedish bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, or the americans Nevermore (the voicing sucks, but the instruments, way to go), the germans Heaven Shall burn. Compare SOAD to them, no chance at all, not even hard at all.
It's your opinion, for me they're the metal band of the decade.

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

If I can play a song on guitars, bass and even drums after I´ve heard it once and without notes, it doesnt show me great techniques which are a must for my metal taste. Not braggin here, but when I started playing the guitars and drums (I was only 11) I´ve recorded Sabbaths paranoid (dont know the album title, is it paranoid too?!) album in my parents house with a four tracker within three days, and it wasnt very difficult to do so.
It's Paranoid the album and the difference is that they did it in 1971 and you played it, but you didn't created it.  They did it more than 30 years ago.  Give them some credit.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

I show them respect, but dont see them as metal, sry about that.
The metalguitaristheors of today, like Jeff Loomis of Nevermore, Michael and Christopher Amott of Arch Enemy, Kirk Hammet of Metallica, John Petrucci of Dream Theater etc. have pretty highend skills on their instruments, a requierment for metalmusic in my opinion, and are hard to cover, even for a expirienst musician.
The Sabbath songs even could be covered by a 11 years old, you see.
Sorry, if Im pissing you off with a kind of disrespect, dont get me wrong on this, I respect them, but they are not metal.
If you compare a average heavymetal band like, well lets say erm, yeah Stone Sour (band of Corey Taylor from Slipknot and a what I call heavymetal band, no newmetalstuff) with Sabbath, I bet you´ll say the new band got more balls, better songwriting- and instrumentskills.

Im 29 years old btw. and yes, I listen to older stuff like Leppard, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Uriah etc. too, but I will not call them heavymetal at all.

Thank god, the taste of music is nothing to discuss about, altough this is very intressting.
+1 for the Topicstarter
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6531|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Metallica. End of story.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard