Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Borris Johnson, the MP for Henley and Shadow Higher Education Minister was refused entry to the US when he went there on holiday with his family. The reason being that he had a British passport, yet was born in New York. Apparently if you are born in the US you can only use a US passport, despite the fact he is British. He then had to get another flight home at his own expense.

I think it's ridiculous and he should have refused to leave, until they locked him up - imagine the trouble the immigration officials would have got in when their superiors found out they had arrested a member of the British Shadow Cabinet for travelling on a British passport, it certainly wouldn't have helped Anglo-American relations.

Do people think this is a silly rule, or that anyone with any sort of claim to US citizenship should be forced to have a US passport? Personally I think it's an attempt for the US government to make more money, by making more people pay for passports they don't (shouldn't) need.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6756|Brixham, UK
Seems a bit silly to me, I personally belive that the only passport you need should be the one of the country of which you are officially a citizen.

Source?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Source? - Times or the Evening Standard, yesterdays issue - I read them both yesterday can't remember which the article appeared in. It had the title "I want a divorce from America". Sorry don't have an online link - maybe something about it on the Spectators site (that's the magazine Borris edits).

Here's a link to the start of another article he wrote about it : http://www.spectator.co.uk/archive/feat … -sam.thtml
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
Now that's just retarded.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

Spark wrote:

Now that's just retarded.
Crap, Spark read my mind. Stupid rule.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North
thats bullshit, with all the shit they let through the borders they block him? gah

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard