Doliss
..I should be studying..
+5|6481|Sterling, VA
hello ya'll, I've got a question for those in the know with LCDs.  I have a samsung 19 in lcd that i bought about 3 years ago and i decided to look up the stats on it recently after a friend was telling me about his new LCD.  He was going on about the response time of it being 2 ms, i looked at the stats on my LCD and it's response time is 25 ms.  I was just wondering how much of a difference that kind of thing makes to gaming in games such as BF2.  Any input on the subject would be helpful, thanks!
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6670|San Francisco, CA
higher the response time, the more of that ghosting effect you might see if you switch between colors real fast. Shorter the time, the less you'll see. I'm pretty sure I'm right about that..the..jist of it.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6535|Little blue planet, milky way
Well, the response time is the amount of time it will take for an individual pixel to change from one state to another. Think of it as the screens "native" FPS.
So with 25ms responsetime you can get 1/0.025 = 40 changes per second... While this is virtually seamless to the eye, it's only VIRTUALLY seamless. The human eye can pick up on 30-60 changes pr second (depending on the person). So ideally you want 20ms or better. But if you dont think that videos or anything that is not hindred by your GPU looks fine, then dont bother to upgrade, probably your eyes doesnt react to more than the 40 changes to second you see now.
Ofcourse with a newer monitor you may also get other benefits, such as USB hub, speakers, better light, colors and contrast etc. etc.
But DEFINATELY do not replace your monitor to get only a lower responsetime. Any salesman who uses THAT pitch doesn't know shit about what he's selling.
[BBF*EF]Stuka
Junkers Ju 87
+58|6590|Phoenix, AZ
8ms down is highly recommended.
hellsy
+8|6608|Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
2ms viewsonic vx922 19in is what i have 8) was 300 quid tho
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6856|Waikato, Aotearoa
So my 8ms LCD screen is VERY good then
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6660
but afaik many manufacturers advertise with 2ms or 4ms time but only for grey to grey changes - does that mean anything? at least it sounds important to me

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard