sHe01
+0|6808
Should Britain keep the Monachy?  to all Brits..what are your views?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6769|AUS, Canberra
well im aussie and we cant wait to get rid of the royals, thats the veiw of most people i know anyway. the tried to implement a vote a few years back cant remember what happened excactly i think the current pm put the kybosh on it...
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6781|The Hague, Holland
Here in holland they are thinking of throwing the royalls of the chair aswell. Personally I think we should keep em. Is the situation in Britain bad with the royals?
BladeRunner
+5|6747|UK
Years ago i was completely against the Royal Family. It didn't seem right, somehow, to have so many poor and hungry people in the country when the figurehead had billions (and remember in England a billion is 1,000,000,000,000 ... in the USA it's only 1,000,000,000).
However, as I got older my opinions took a sharp turn. I'm not exactly sure what caused the pivot-point, but I'm now a staunch Royalist. I truly believe that they are one of the few things holding together the fabric of this crumbling nation. A beacon in the mist. Like a heraldic standard on a battlefield, there to be rallied around.

Now, I'm not talking about individuals; there are plenty of Royals who should be dragged out and shot for the disgrace they bring upon this nation. I'm talking about 'The Crown'. The idea of the Monarchy is the thing I support.

If I had my way they'd have alot more power. Some people think we live in a democracy. We don't. We get to vote for our leaders who then spend the rest of their term doing what they like without once consulting us. So we live a shrowded lie. At least if we restored power to the crown we'd all know where we stand.

This is simply my opinion, as an Englishman, as a member of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

As for the_heart_attack's response, I totally understand. I just hope he/she knows how much Australia is respected in this country. They have been (in the past) fiercely loyal friends who have endured hell to support this country.... and I'll raise a glass to their health anytime. I just wish we hadn't been such a crap 'cousin' as to make them want to distance themselves from us.

Last edited by BladeRunner (2005-11-05 06:37:46)

sHe01
+0|6808
Hear hear to raising a glass to the aussi's.....

@Bladerunner..its really bazzare that i share your views but came to them the other way round...

I grew up  having the 'upmost' repect for our royal family and all it stood for it was i thought the pillar of our society a rock which stood tall and bold... as the years went on my views changed and i  saw the rock crumbling around our ears.. thats i think purely because of the 'Royals' themselves... your right that they have brought disgrace to us in many ways...and if the Queen were to abdicate (god forbid) god only knows where we would be... i mean Charles and Queen Camilla?... jees he a man that insists a member of staff dress him right down to his boxers and EVEN have someone brush his own teeth...and Camilla?  well need i say more.. This would be a disater in the making ... and then ofc theres the 'heir' to the throne should Charles be too old etc .. William.. although he shares his mothers looks he also shares his fathers strick personal regime..How can we possibly believe that the likes of Charles (a childlike character) could maintain the Moanchy at its true form. so this with what could be hrs of chat on the rest of the royals it leaves me wondering how long the monachy can hold its own .. personally id like to see the monachy stay for the reasons you state tho im holding out no hope with the current state of our Once respected Royal family

Last edited by sHe01 (2005-11-06 01:14:24)

BladeRunner
+5|6747|UK
I believe HRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales will not take the throne. I believe it will pass straight to William, and from what I know of Prince William, he could just be the thing to save the Monarchy. He seems like he's got all the right 'stuff' to be King.

Even his younger brother, Harry, is maturing into a fine character of a man.

I hope William will bring Royal popularity to the masses. I hope we can hoist a George Cross and Union Flag up the highest of flagpoles without fear of accusations of rascism. I hope we get some pride back in this country. I hope we look back through our history and wake up to the fact that so many huge things were achieved by immigrants to our shores and be more welcoming. I hope we can show some genuine respect to anyone with the guts to put on a uniform bearing a crown be it Army, Navy, RAF, Police, whatever.

I hope it all works out in the end.

Last edited by BladeRunner (2005-11-06 01:34:49)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6765|Cambridge (UK)

sHe01 wrote:

Should Britain keep the Monachy?  to all Brits..what are your views?
Meh, who cares. The British monarchy isn't a true monarchy any more. We just keep them around 'cos all the commonwealth countries and the US seem to like them. God knows why...
BladeRunner
+5|6747|UK
...that's one thing I do like about this country of ours though...Scorpion0x17 and I can have opposing views and both take for granted the fact that we can do it without fear of getting dragged out of bed in the middle of the night and shot.

Just remember, though...come the next Civil War...you've made my list.

Only kiddin', dude
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6793|Canberra, Australia

the_heart_attack wrote:

well im aussie and we cant wait to get rid of the royals, thats the veiw of most people i know anyway. the tried to implement a vote a few years back cant remember what happened excactly i think the current pm put the kybosh on it...
It was a referendum on becomming a republic, the options we were given we either stay as we are or have a fucked option for a Republic.  So we had to say no to a republic...

a point of note in the past 100 years we have had about 20 referendums and only 3 have passed.
Jam_Badger
+0|6765
As a proud Englishman (I know there is a LOT of shit about our little island, such as CHAVS, but im still proud to be here) this is my honest opinion on the monachy.

I THOUGHT i was very much against the royals, but as i read BladeRunner's posts I suddenly realised that although i dislike the 'high-ranking' royals (Duke of Edinburgh for instance) I am not against the ideal of a monachy.

I mean, they dont do anything, other than the queens speech at christmas, but who watches that anyway!!
I dont know if anyone remembers a few years back when the Queen bought a new "Yacht", but i was fully disgusted as it was a f**king cruise liner stylie thing! She paid for that with tax payers money, which she certainly has not earnt, and that money should be spent on sorting out the NHS or public transport, something the tax-payer will benefit from!

On the other hand however, I was actually upset when Princess Diana died (which is implausible to me as i didn't know her, so why should her death upset me??)! I also have a lot of respect for Princes William & Harry. (As BladeRunner said later, they definatley could save the monachy!)

More proof of my like of some royals: when Prince Harry wore a Nazi uniform to that fancy dress party a while back, i found myself defending him! I never really thought about it, but he wasn't doing anything wrong really. Its no different to dressing up like a pirate, they were also 'unpleasent' characters, its just Nazi's are closer to home.

So, ya... (Sorry bout the length and fragmentation of my post, I have a tendancy to do that) thats my honest opinion... Im kinda glad I found somewhere i could say that to like minded people as myself, so cheers! (Just 1 more reason to love this site more than my mother )
Instant Cereal
+0|6742
The UK monarchy is basically the UK's version of hollywood celebrities. Our American paparrazis chase movie stars like Bruce Willis, Paris Hilton, etc., around, the UK has the Royals. A lot of people like gossip about those who are more powerful than them and people, in general, like to be able to identify and worship 'supreme beings'. The Royals aren't just for public entertainment, however, they also make good diplomats and foreign representitives. It's also a tradition and is globally recognized.

I say keep 'em. No real reason to do away with them, or keep them. Damn I want to visit the UK. English chicks and the way they sound so royal... I'm just an American peasant. *sniff sniff*

Last edited by Instant Cereal (2005-11-11 04:37:51)

BladeRunner
+5|6747|UK
I've got to disagree on a few points...I'm trying to keep my points clear, so PLEASE don't read this as 'flaming' or having a go, I'm realy not...

Jam_Badger wrote:

As a proud Englishman (I know there is a LOT of shit about our little island, such as CHAVS, but im still proud to be here) this is my honest opinion on the monachy.
For all it's faults, this is a great land

Jam_Badger wrote:

I mean, they dont do anything, other than the queens speech at christmas, but who watches that anyway!!
lol saddly, I do. And the 'high ranking' royals have long, arduous schedules (contrary to popular belief). if you read The Times, it often posts the Royal 'Schedule'. Keep an eye on it!
I do understand that we'd all like our arduous jobs to be jetting round alot, but honestly, that's not all they do.

Jam_Badger wrote:

I dont know if anyone remembers a few years back when the Queen bought a new "Yacht", but i was fully disgusted as it was a f**king cruise liner stylie thing! She paid for that with tax payers money, which she certainly has not earnt, and that money should be spent on sorting out the NHS or public transport, something the tax-payer will benefit from!
If I remember correctly, the present government forced the queen to scrap the QEII.
Now, if there was ever an idea to get rid of one of our national symbols and herritage getting rid of the QEII was it.
Don't think of it as 'The Queen's free Ship'. Think of it as OUR ship, OUR Queen. They made OUR Queen give up OUR ship. Who the f*ck do these polaticians think they are? Since when did YOU get any say on the matter? I know I didn't. I'd have told Prescott to give up one of his Jags.

Jam_Badger wrote:

Prince Harry wore a Nazi uniform to that fancy dress party a while back, i found myself defending him! I never really thought about it, but he wasn't doing anything wrong really. Its no different to dressing up like a pirate, they were also 'unpleasent' characters, its just Nazi's are closer to home.
I've never heard such an understatement regarding the Nazis, 'unpleasent'.
What impressed me about this was that the young man went on film and discussed it. He was sincere and seemed unscripted. He understood what a thoughtless, tasteless thing it was that he'd done. He regrets it. He's sorry.

Jam_Badger wrote:

So, ya... (Sorry bout the length and fragmentation of my post, I have a tendancy to do that) thats my honest opinion... Im kinda glad I found somewhere i could say that to like minded people as myself, so cheers! (Just 1 more reason to love this site more than my mother )
And (to me at least) your opinions are welcomed, valued, and considered.

ps...Your mother likes this site?

---------------------------

Instant Cereal wrote:

The UK monarchy is basically the UK's version of hollywood celebrities.
errrr.......no

Last edited by BladeRunner (2005-11-14 11:16:09)

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6739|Fort Worth, Texas
I am American with some English in me. I do not know enough about your situation but from what I see on TV they are kind of rude to reporters. They are in the lime light because of a name and position. I also refer you to a song "God won't be immpressed by what we possess he won't be moved by a title or a name"
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6741|United Kingdom
They give Britain character. If we lost the Monarchy, we'd lose Royal Mail, yeah? Just one example. It would change Britain incredibly.

We need a less shit monarchy, and one that isn't a sodding god bothering tourist attraction.

Bloody politicians as well....can't remember the name, one of the back bench chin wagglers earns about a million every year. For what?! To sit on his arse and talk?!

Re-reading what I just wrote, doesn't sound like it, but I'd like to see the Monarchy stay.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6734
I can't fathom how an entire nation of people can support a family of inbred just because their ancestors conned the ancestors of others into thinking that some god had a hand in choosing them to rule. It's quite funny.

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2005-11-26 07:45:47)

FeloniousMonk
+0|6734

BladeRunner wrote:

Don't think of it as 'The Queen's free Ship'. Think of it as OUR ship
Do you ever get to use that ship? No? Then it's not yours. Air Force One is paid for with the tax dollars of all American citizens but do I consider it my plane or our plane? No, it's the President's plane.
thinner44
+1|6808

BladeRunner wrote:

Now, I'm not talking about individuals; there are plenty of Royals who should be dragged out and shot for the disgrace they bring upon this nation. I'm talking about 'The Crown'. The idea of the Monarchy is the thing I support.
My sentiments exactly. In the past, in times of great peril, we could turn to the Monarchy and know we had their full support and help... they were pivitol to this nation's well being, not so much now. I concur with BladeRunner, I don't believe the Crown will pass to Charles, I believe it will pass to William, and from what we've seen of him over the past few years, I don't think there's anyone better than him.
TheCheat54
+0|6832

FeloniousMonk wrote:

BladeRunner wrote:

Don't think of it as 'The Queen's free Ship'. Think of it as OUR ship
Do you ever get to use that ship? No? Then it's not yours. Air Force One is paid for with the tax dollars of all American citizens but do I consider it my plane or our plane? No, it's the President's plane.
Good analogy, but it doesn't work here. Air Force One is an aircraft owned and operated by the Air Force (d'oah) and thus is paid for through tax dollars that benefit the military, not paid for directly. Not only that, but there is no single "Air Force One" since that is the callsign given to any aircraft that the President flies on.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6734

TheCheat54 wrote:

Good analogy, but it doesn't work here. Air Force One is an aircraft owned and operated by the Air Force (d'oah) and thus is paid for through tax dollars that benefit the military, not paid for directly. Not only that, but there is no single "Air Force One" since that is the callsign given to any aircraft that the President flies on.
Good point on the indirect source of funds but my point stands; unless the old hag paid for the ship through other means. Either way, I still think the whole idea of a nation of supposedly intelligent people would still cater to that family of inbreds is hilarious. What amazes me most is when people act surprised when they royally (no pun intended) fuck up. When you only swim in the shallow end of the gene pool you're gonna get some algae.

Also, I don't brits have a foot to stand on when saying Bush is goofy lookin' when they've got that big eared freak of nature with double digit IQ and a penchant for pasty airhead sluts as the successor to that rotten old cunt that should've been thrown down a very deep well ages ago.

As you can see I have zero respect for anyone that claims to be special because of bloodline.

edit: oh yeah, and Air Force One only applies to Air Force planes; if the President is on a civilian aircraft such as a United Airlines 757 it would be called United One.

edit2: and there's still that fleet of two modified 747s that are colloquially recognized as Air Force One

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2005-11-26 13:29:56)

[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6786|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

They give Britain character. If we lost the Monarchy, we'd lose Royal Mail, yeah? Just one example. It would change Britain incredibly.
Oh lord that's the last thing we'd need....Blazin.uk would be on 24/7 if he lost his job.
Nehil
+3|6730|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
Sweden has a monarchy. I don't really like it but I don't hate it either. But such positions of power should not be inherited in a democracy.
sHe01
+0|6808
@FeloniousMonk  your bad language astounds me... there is no reason for you to express your views with such 'gutter' words ...
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6842|Bryan/College Station, TX
Random quote from a Yank (American).

I actually wish we had something that we could call Royals here. We don't have a beacon to look at or a monarch symbolic person to rally behind. Here in the US you have God and Country. I think it would be nice to have a third thing there.  America stopped having faith in their Presidents I think right after the Great Depression. Since the 1930's it's been down hill and getting worse.  Part of me could do with a Parlimentary system. Might be interesting. Course might be me Brit friends influencing me Yank principles.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
FeloniousMonk
+0|6734

sHe01 wrote:

@FeloniousMonk  your bad language astounds me... there is no reason for you to express your views with such 'gutter' words ...
I agree and I apologize. I'll try to keep it cleaner in the future. But it does show how strongly I dislike any concept of royalty.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6734

kilroy0097 wrote:

Random quote from a Yank (American).

I actually wish we had something that we could call Royals here. We don't have a beacon to look at or a monarch symbolic person to rally behind. Here in the US you have God and Country. I think it would be nice to have a third thing there.  America stopped having faith in their Presidents I think right after the Great Depression. Since the 1930's it's been down hill and getting worse.  Part of me could do with a Parlimentary system. Might be interesting. Course might be me Brit friends influencing me Yank principles.
So you would support an elite family that's looked up to and cared for by the public simply because of bloodline? It's country, not god and country.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard