cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6713|NJ
Ok so I'm a type of person who hates when people make a profit(other then news cause that's there job) off of horiffic events right after the event. Now I haven't really done any reasearch on this so they might be donating all the money. So I will never ever see this dispicable movie.

What are you thoughts on it?
Chou
+737|6808
Do you feel the same when you see Platoon or Hamburger Hill?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

No different than 'Pearl Harbor' or other movies based on real, violent events.
horny_trojan
+39|6728|Los FUCKING Angeles
The movie was going to be made anyway.  They might as well get it right and make a good movie (director = oliver stone).  However, it looks really sappy, so I'm gonna save my movie money for Borat and Beerfest.
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6692|Moscow, Russia
I'll watch it, but I'm such a conspiracy theorist and I can't believe burning jet fuel could make those towers fall into their own blueprints floor by floor. So it will be just an entertaining movie for me. I don't find watching people die quite entertaining though.
cpt.fass1
+329|6713|NJ
Well movies like those there was a 20 year gap and most the aftermath of those effects were over so I feel that they are in better taste. I feel it makes it a little less real if it's still not going on. Iraq war = effect of 9/11
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6684|United States

Choumichel wrote:

I think the difference is that those events took place a few decades ago, 9/11 was just 5 years ago, a lot of people are still grieving their losses while hollywood cashes in.
It's disgraceful, really.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

Choumichel wrote:

I think the difference is that those events took place a few decades ago, 9/11 was just 5 years ago, a lot of people are still grieving their losses while hollywood cashes in.
Do you think that people weren't still grieving for their lost loved ones when movies about events related to real death were released? Or what about things like World War II films that were made in the early 40's?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-09 11:40:36)

cpt.fass1
+329|6713|NJ
Well the main point of this thread is to talk about this event..

Also I really can't think of any non propaganda films made in the 40's about WWII so some examples would be nice.

Edit: also I feel it's different because at least those are War films so the other side had a fighting chance.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2006-08-09 11:43:30)

[GPIII]_Maj.Bong
+5|6642
I think that this movie is more about honoring the men and women that lost their lives saving people, and telling their story so people dont start to forget about it.
cpt.fass1
+329|6713|NJ
also I feel it's different because at least those are War films so the other side had a fighting chance.. It's kinda the equivalent of Titanic in my eyes.
Raptor1
+19|6505
besides, Hollywood is running out of ideas, these have been like 20 animated movies and almost every movie is a sequel or a remake, pirates2, Men3, the omen. now their just going to market off of tragic events, soon their will be a movie about our country during the bush presidency, George Bush played by will Farrel
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6518|Los Angeles
I like what the movie review guy from salon.com has to say about the two movies:

"'United 93' was the most punishing movie I've ever seen, not an example of art offering transcendence or deeper understanding, but of picking at a wound that hadn't yet scabbed over."

"'World Trade Center' is perhaps only a marginally effective movie about 9/11, because, I suspect, there can be no such thing as an effective movie about 9/11 -- at least not right now. Dealing with the event directly is impossible; it's like staring at the sun."
WyrdNyrd
+6|6503|Mesa, AZ
What of Black Hawk Down (it was only eight years after the event that they came out with the movie), Band of Brothers, We were Soldiers. I know what people are going to say. Those are war movies, people know what to expect out of it. But 9/11 was/is different. Ok then let's take a look at civilian tragedies turned into movies. Munich, Schindler's List ( war based but the effect on civilian Jews), Hotel Rwanda, or even documentaries. When I first heard about 9/11 being made into a movie I thought it was too early. But I've been thinking about it a lot. I've read about what this movie is going to be showcasing and saw the previews. I read an article in People magazine when they interviewed the two people that this movie is about. This movie isn't just about the tragedy of what happened. It's more about the people who ran in there to help. The police and fire departments who responded and the sacrifices that were made. That no matter what happens people will be there to help. I guess I let this rant go on for too long now. Time for the backlash.

Last edited by WyrdNyrd (2006-08-09 11:57:14)

Raptor1
+19|6505
I will say that Blackhawk down was really good and to me is one of the best war movies i have seen
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6684|United States

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

Choumichel wrote:

Do you think that people weren't still grieving for their lost loved ones when movies about events related to real death were released? Or what about things like World War II films that were made in the early 40's?
I find them equally distasteful actually, though I think war films fall under a different category than films about the mass murder of 3,000 innocent civilians...
|AIA| DAS
+23|6514|Me Dad's Wilkins
The movie is supposed to be based, less on the attacks, and more on the human stories involved.  More of a background on people who lost their lives helping others.  That is what I've read about it.
cpt.fass1
+329|6713|NJ
One of the biggest questions I have, is the studio talking about donating any of the money to the victoms.
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6663|Nova Scotia

cpt.fass1 wrote:

One of the biggest questions I have, is the studio talking about donating any of the money to the victoms.
Good post.
I've heard the same thing DAS posted.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6719|Little Rock, Arkansas

Wasder wrote:

I'll watch it, but I'm such a conspiracy theorist and I can't believe burning jet fuel could make those towers fall into their own blueprints floor by floor. So it will be just an entertaining movie for me. I don't find watching people die quite entertaining though.
A somewhat ironic statement for a player with 18,191 kills, don't you think?
|AIA| DAS
+23|6514|Me Dad's Wilkins
10% of the box office for the first five days will be donated to the charities established for 9/11...
millhous
+39|6654|OREEGONE, USA
I thought that this movie was trying to make a profit off the tragedy.  After reading some of the interviews with the cast and reading some of the reviews, my views have changed.
PekkaA
+36|6682|Finland
I think that americans are very sensitive when it comes to 911, and therefore I don't believe that making money was main goal when they decided to start filming.

In my opinion cpt.fass1 is overdramatizing this bit too much. After all, world is full of movies that get ideas from other peoples grief. I don't recall anyone mentioning donations when Gandhi, Schindlers list or Amistad came out.

Movie can also have an educational aspect, and I believe that's what Oliver Stone has in mind.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

No different than 'Pearl Harbor' or other movies based on real, violent events.
I felt violent after watching Pearl Harbour. I just wish I could have directed some of that violent rage at the producers of the film, oh and Ben Affleck - I hate him, I hate him very much!!!!

9/11 would make a shit movie - I wouldn't watch it.

But I bet the box office returns for the first week or so will be enough for them to justify making it.
howler_27
+90|6704
Oliver Stone has stated that the first weekends profits will go to charities of the families who live on from the attacks.  Personally, I have given enough, and when compared to the dollars that famlies of fallen US soldiers get, I think it's a joke.  Yes, it was a tragedy, but it insults me as an american when people who accidentally get into harms way, get compensated in droves of cash when compared to those who put their lives on the line every friggin' day.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard