Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6685|Tampa Bay Florida
Yo, this is my first guide and I've actually been adding little bits of it for a few months now.  Please, don't flame me, or whatever.  If you don't agree with something or have suggestions for improvement, just PM me and I'll probably add it.  I wanted to make a more unbiased Assault guide, because so far it seems to me that ever Assault guide so far has been biased towards the G3, or saying it's a stupid kit, etc.  For the most part these are all my opinions, but I've played over 100 hours with the kit so don't think I'm making it up on the spot or something.  Enjoy, or don't.

Assault - a comprehensive guide

1. Assault Rifles

Each and every Assault kit rifle has it's ups and downs.  The only good and bad rifles are those to theindividual.  For example, my favorite is the M16A2, and I really don't care that most players hate it.  Again, it all depends on your ability to adapt to situations, and your personal skill and  experience with the rifle.

M16A2

The M16A2 is a very, very accurate assault rifle.  Others may say otherwise, but I believe it is the most accurate. It's semi-automatic mode has allowed me and many others engage targets at long- to extremely long range (75-100 m).  If you're in the right position, you can even use the M16A2 to hit enemy snipers.   The semi-auto mode of the M16A2 is able to fire very, very quickly.  This gives you an edge in engaging enemy snipers.  He may hit you once while you can hit him at least 3 and sometimes many, many more times, depending on the technique you are using.  The M16A2's burst mode is very effective at targets which are at medium/close distance.  The burst can actually fire off rounds quicker than some automatics, making it very useful for close combat.  When using burst on mid-range targets, you should always wait at least half a second to let the  effects of recoil wear off, as it will only destroy your accuracy if you continue to fire.   Depending on the health, kit, and range of the target, burst will usually require at least 2 shots to make the kill.

Pros : Very accurate and very high rate of fire in semi-auto, and the burst allows for effective close quarters combat while still maintaining some of it's accuracy.

Cons : Recoil is considerably high, which is not very helpful when engaging long to medium range targets. Also, the M16A2 is the weakest of the Assault kit rifles, so you must learn when to rely on semi-auto and
when to rely on burst.

Ak-47

The Ak-47 is the second most powerful assault rifle, and is a very good choice if you are going to be engaging targets at close to medium range.  It is also a decent weapon for long range combat, but even in semi-auto mode expect to miss a few shots.  This weapon has not really had a chance  to prove itself as much as the Ak-101, because there are obviously very few maps in which the PLA have the chance to use it in CQC.  The 47 is capable to taking an enemy down in 1-3 shots, depending  on where they hit.  For long range targets, ALWAYS use semi-auto, and always, always go prone.  For mid-range targets, it is your choice whether you want to use semi-auto or use bursts of 2-3 shots.  At close-range, always, always always use automatic or at least long bursts of 5-7 rounds.

Pros : Second most powerful assault rifle in the game, effective for all types of combat, but is most useful in CQC.  It is also fully automatic.

Cons : Compared to the M16A2, it is inaccurate at long ranges, and will sometimes even miss medium range targets.  Again, you must wait in between bursts to let the effects of recoil wear off in order to be effective at medium range.

Ak-101

Similar to the Ak-47, the Ak-101 is almost an identical weapon.  It is only slightly less powerful, and just a tad bit more accurate.  Again, whether or not you will choose with weapon depends on your playing style.  The 101 will allow you to make longer shots than the 47, but still be prepared to miss a few.

Pros : More accurate than the 47, and because of this it is considered by many (and for good reason to be the best assault rifle in the game.  A very safe gun to use, it is easily mastered, and is accurate in semi-auto and just plain deadly in full automatic.  The 101 is almost a perfect balance of accuracy, firepower, and rate of fire.  The 101 is a very well balanced gun.

Cons : There are no cons.  The 101 is probably the most balanced and most popular assault rifle in the game. 

G3

Praised for it's accuracy and firepower, this gun is a decent alternative to BF2 players, and  even more so in BF2 SF.  The G3 is the most powerful rifle in the game, and can easily bring a target down in 2-3 shots.  It is also fairly accurate, many say it is the most accurate rifle in the game, but I personally believe that after much practice and experience the M16A2 is a tiny bit more accurate.  This gun has small magazine capacity, only 20 shots.  This is definately something to factor in when choosing it.  This makes the G3 a good and bad gun for urban combat.  At long ranges, it can shred away enemy infantry, and if you are in a good position, the 20 round magazine really isn't a hindrance, unless of you run out of ammo.  However, at extreme close ranges, such as the Hotel at Karkand, the G3's 20 rounds will do enough to protect yourself against one or two enemies at max, but if faced with more enemies it can turn into a serious problem.  Therefore, I suggest you save this for areas you know you will only encounter medium to long range targets, and only select it when you have a squad to give you ammo and to provide cover when you are reloading it.  Also, keep in mind that the G3 does not have a grenade launcher.  This is either a blessing or a sin for some, again, it depends on your playing style.  If you cannot stand having no grenade launcher, and I can understand why, the G3 is not for you.

Pros : Most powerful rifle in the game, although to due it's small magazine capacity it is not ideal for CQC.  Instead use semi-auto or bursts of 2-3 rounds at medium or long range.  Many have found this to be the best rifle available for the Assault kit.

Cons : No grenade launcher makes engaging lightly armored vehicles and multiple enemies at a distance much more difficult, and the 20 round mag makes the G3 a very "iffy" weapon at CQC.  The G3 is also the loudest and has the most distinct sound of the Assault kit's rifles, so if you're going behind enemy lines keep that in mind.

F2000

The F2000 looks something like a gun from Star Wars.  It is fully automatic, and includes a scope.  Many players like the F2000 because of it's realiability in CQC, and for it's scope which some players prefer over regular last-century iron sights.  It is also one of the most silent rifles in the game.  The F2000 is also famous for coming with Flashbang grenades, instead of Smoke Grenades.  The F2000, accuracy-wise, is mediocre.  Depending on your effectiveness with the scope, for some it will be impossible to use at long range, and others will have no problem with it.  I suggest that you practice with it by either playing SF (it is the standard Assault rifle of the SAS) or by picking one up off the fields of vBF2 and trying it out.  A good, well-rounded alternative for those wishing for a 30-round mag, automatic fire, and accuracy.  The Flashbangs are also very useful for special-operations behind enemy lines, and can also be used to stun enemies when assaulting a flag.

Pros : Well rounded Assault rifle, capable of fully automatic fire, has a 30-round magazine, and unlike
the G3 includes a grenade launcher, for players who do not like the M16A2 but still insist on having a GL.
The Flashbangs are considerably more useful than smoke, as they completely render an enemy useless
if he was looking directly at it at the moment it explodes.  A great weapon for players who operate like a Spec-Ops, but like to have more firepower.

Cons : Scope is difficult to use by many, and because of this it's accuracy is not as good as it could be. Again, try it out and see if you like it or do not like it.

Scar-H

Generally a mediocre weapon, it is generally unpopular because of it's harsh recoil and some do not like it's red-dot scope, and it is only available on a few maps.  The carbine equivilant, the Scar-L, is considered by many a very bad choice for Spec-Ops troops, and this is just an Assault version of the same weapon.  It does not include a GL, either, and other reasons to choose it would only be because it is included in SF, such as the grappling hook.

Pros : Some like the red-dot attachment, and some like the "feel" of the rifle more than others.  It is also very silent, even more so than the F2000.

Cons : Harsh recoil, some don't like the red-dot scope and no GL is included.  only available on SF Navy Seals maps.

L85A2

The L85A2 is a very accurate, similar to the M16A2 in it's accuracy and firepower.  It is automatic, which makes it slightly more useful than the M16A2 in CQC.  Accuracy wise, it can be compared to the G3. It's sights are similar to the M16's.  It does NOT include a scope, like it's A1 counterpart.  Imagine a slightly less accurate M16A2, but one that is fullyautomatic, and you have yourself an L85A2.  It is also very cool for people who like the L85A1, but like to play as Assault.  As usual, players should always go prone before using it at long-medium ranges, and use semi-auto.

Pros : Fully automatic and very accurate, comparable to the M16A2, just a little better in CQC.  It sights are easy to use at long ranges, too.

Cons : Only available on the 3 EF maps, and only one EF map is really considered urban, and that is Great Wall.  For Taraba Quarry and Op. Smokescreen, you're better off selecting either Engineer of Anti-Tank.

2. Grenade Launchers

GL's are very useful for engaging enemy infantry at a distance, and engaging non-heavily armored vehicles.
As most of you know, the only real way of aiming with the GL is via the yellow scale crosshair.  The sights that the players raise for the M203 and AG-36 cannot be used to effectively aim the grenades.  Although there are some small differences in reload times, there are no real differences in the grenade launcher.  All of them operate the same way.  For targets farther away, (more than 15 m, I believe) the grenade will explode on impact, making it useful for taking out DPV/FAV's in one shot, if directly hitting it.  I have made a chart for direct hits on possible targets:

Infantry - 1 direct hit (splash damage may also kill the target)
Un-armored transport (DPV/FAV, RIB) - 1 direct hit
Armored transport (Humvee) - 3 hits
Transport chopper - 6 hits
Attack chopper - 4 hits
Jets - 2 hits

Remember, like regular grenades, grenades from the GL's travel in an arc-like trajectory.  This means that when you are aiming to hit a target far away, you will have to aim upwards to compensate for the drop.  In order to hit a target at a distance, you must raise the crosshairs a certain distance above the target,
depending on the distance and the degree which you raise the barrel.

Like many other aspects of the game, being good with the grenade launchers is a skill which needs to be learned by the individual player.  Although it is easy to hit a target at close range, hitting targets at extremely long range requires lots of practice.  Engaging targets at 50 + m with the GL is a technique similar to RL
sniping/spotting.  What I do with long range targets is, line up the shot vertically, and aim well above the target.  Fire one shot, and spot to see where it lands.  Depending on where the shot lands, adjust your original degree of elevation, in other words, either raise orlower the barrel.  Depending on how good you are, you can usually get at least one kill after only 2 or 3 shots.

Pros : Explodes on impact on mid-long range targets, making it effective in destroying non-armored transport vehicles and killing multiple infantry bundled up in the same area.  Much easier to fire over distances than the regular grenades, and also denotates quicker, giving you the upper hand.
Cons : Not ideal for up-close-and-personal combat, because the user can damage himself, and the grenade might also bounce off unwanted targets and instead damage nearby friendlies.  Also, if you use the GL excessively, you'll most likely end up with the title of noob tuber, which is probably the most hated type of player in BF2.

3. Smoke and Flashbang grenades

The other items which are unqiue only to the Assault kit are the Smoke and Flashbang grenades.  While both grenades are useful for confusing, blinding, and disabling the enemy, I think that we all know Flashbangs are clearly a better choice.

The Smoke grenades, once detonated, create a medium sized cloud of smoke, yet you can still see through it in some areas.  The cloud of smoke will last for 5-10 seconds, which will allow you to cover a specific direction for falling back, advancing, or to confuse the enemies distract them while you flank them from another direction. 

Pros : Cannot directly affect friendly targets, is useful in situations where you need sustained cover while advancing to a position.

Cons : The effect, while sustained, is limited because of it's transparency, and because the Assault soldier only receives one, and only one Smoke Grenade.

Flashbangs are much better at confusing/suppressing the enemy, in my opinion. The Flashbang is effective for assaulting fixed enemy positions, along with covering yourself while you fall back.  The Flashbang, once detonated, creates a blinding flash of light, which can effectively disable an enemy for at least 10 seconds, if he is looking directly into the flash.  Also, keep in mind that Flashbangs can also visually disable tank drivers, pilots, jeep gunners, etc.  Basically anyone is vulnerable to a Flashbang.  The only real disadvantage is that your friendly soldiers are vulnerable to them, too, and what use is blinding the enemy squad if you're own squad is blinded too?  The Flashbang is only avilable with the F2000, so remember that.

Pros : Can stun/blind an enemy for a full 10 seconds if he is looking directly into the flash.  Although flashbangs are only available with the F2000, it comes with 3, which is a beefy number compared to the puny single Smoke grenade the standard assault rifles come with.

Cons : Can stun/blind friendly troops, too, and after the effects wear off, it draws attention to the area where it is thrown.  In other words, make sure you have some quick way of retreating when you stun an enemy tank, because you will draw
attention to yourself after you throw the first one.

5. Why play as Assault?

The Assault kit is best used in coordination with other squad members.  A squad with a Medic, a Support, and four Assault players will be nearly unstoppable when going up against enemy infantry.  The key is mixing up Assault with the other kits - it's common knowledge that a lone Assault player is most of the time at a disadvantage, because he has no way to heal and resupply himself.  However, this doesn't mean that he's useless, it just means that a more effective way of using the kit would be in a squad. 

In my opinion, Assault is the ultimate anti-Infantry kit.  Though because of it's lack of special abilities, it has
earned a reputation for being a "noob" kit, where the only people who use it the most are noob tubers
that have the grenade launcher out most of the time.  What most players don't realize is that when used correctly, and skillfully, Assault is by far the best kit out there, at least for infantry.  People who usually play as Assault?  Noobs, and very very very skilled players. 

Pros : Very effective for taking out enemy infantry and assault CP's.  (When properly supplied).
Body armor allows the player to withstand more damage, and the assault rifle/grenade launcher combo
allows the player to engage enemy infantry and light vehicles, either a few feet away, or maybe even a hundred feet away, in some cases.

Cons : Lacks special abilities, and needs a hearty amount of ammo and health to keep running smooth. 
It sounds difficult, but as long as you have a cool, smart squad to play with, you should never has any trouble playing as Assault.

The end, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-08 13:03:58)

Emil
Teh strogg!
+205|6475|Trondheim, Norway
OMG! how long time did u use to write all that?

sry, i don't got time to read it...
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Emil_the_Slayer wrote:

OMG! how long time did u use to write all that?

sry, i don't got time to read it...
it's been in the making for a few months.... lol it would've taken like 5 hours to do all in one day.  /no life
Smackin_U
VAGITARIAN
+35|6639|Somewhere in the shadows
WOW...very thorough...+1 for you, but...

Spearhead wrote:

Cons : The 101 is almost a perfect balance of accuracy, firepower, and rate of fire.  The 101 is a very well balanced gun.
...how is this a con?
sn00ze
+31|6544|Mjölby, Sweden
Nice job.. +1
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6690|Howell, Mi USA

sn00ze wrote:

Nice job.. +1
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Des.Kmal
+917|6613|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
nice post, YAY. assault pwns. *checks stats*

yeah, it pwns.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.
I thought you only got 3 flash bangs.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Smackin_U wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Cons : The 101 is almost a perfect balance of accuracy, firepower, and rate of fire.  The 101 is a very well balanced gun.
...how is this a con?
it' not, lol.  Thanks for showing that.  I'll proofread it again
Smackin_U
VAGITARIAN
+35|6639|Somewhere in the shadows

Spearhead wrote:

Smackin_U wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

...how is this a con?
it' not, lol.  Thanks for showing that.  I'll proofread it again
Still...good post. 
lord_tyler_486
+54|6748|Upper Franconia
Since I got my Expert Special Ops I play Assault very often too. I like it. And I find the stock weapons the better ones all the time for some reason... G3 has no GL [but it's still one of the best rifles in the game. But it has no GL. It's good though. And it needs a GL.] and F2000 just... feels like a Super Soaker with no power at all.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6561|England

Nice guide. +1. Glad you included the L85A2, EF assault kit weapon! That gun is absolutly amazing on GW, as is the FAMAS
I have just picked up the assault kit again after using it a little on SF for the G3. I forgot how much that gun kicks ass! I absolutly love it.
Whereas playing assault 24/7 on infantry maps will win you very few gold/silver/bronze medals, that forces you to get into the action and use the assault kits weapons to their potential. GL can knock out a group of medics trying to revive someone - lots of kills in that.
So long as you are always charging forward and with the team and/or squad in capping flags, then you can easily earn those medals and points. Its just that most people prefer being a medic and earning points with revive/heal points since its easier to do. I know that Im a flat out medic player on urban maps, but thats only because The L85A1 is my favourite weapon in the entire game
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6701|Antarctica
Its nice to see a kit guide cover the weapons from SF and EF also, good job.
evo.mumbles
+8|6485|E. Sussex
Nice guide. Also good to see another M16 fan, it's my favourite assualt rifle by far
13rin
+977|6475
Good job!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Ether151
Banned
+22|6656
Well thought out good stuff.
aLi3nZ
+138|6502|New Zealand
Pretty good guide. +1

Over all my accounts I have:
Total Assault Rifle Kills when Assault: 6385
Total Grenade Launcher Kills: 7508
Total Time as assault: 97 Hours
K/D Ratio 2.5

All done with the F2000. Great gun for long range / mid range and close combat. Just takes a while to get used to the scope and the fact it looks like an alien gun.

Can't belive I only threw 12 flash bags all that time....

Definitely the ultimate anti infantry kit. Body Amour is a huge plus. Now that I play medic I notice how great it was every time I come across a an enemy solider playing assault. Takes a lot of firepower to take them down.

Last edited by aLi3nZ (2006-08-08 17:19:00)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
thx for the support everyone!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
All I care about is my serious armor whoring!

I could give a fuck about the game, forums are more fun, I play one hour or three per week.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle
Agreed. Assault is the most powerful anti-infantry class. And who needs to spawn with a medic or support kit when these kits can be found on every other enemy you kill. The switch-kits-and-throw-a-bag-and-switch-back dance is becoming almost as second nature to me as the jump-prone-shoot-crouch-jump-prone-shoot.

I originally fell in love with the G3 for its stopping power. This combined with the regular grenades allowed me to use my medic/spec op-learned combat to a higher-damage-point level.

I then got very into the m16 because other than the spec ops guns and medic unlocks i hadnt realized the level of precision available with single shot mode. This is currently my favorite gun to use and you perfectly describe why. At range fast single shots mow through anything and at short range you can dispatch a disturbingly large number of bullets in short order and with accuracy on 3-shot. I also learned to love grenade launchers very recently from this weapon.

But most recently I have been using the F2000 a lot more. Like you describe, the flashbangs offer more than the smoke in combat (although i love deploying smoke, i LOVE it, i mean, look at my name). The F2000 is far from the most enjoyble weapon to use.  At short range u just hold down automatic fire while painting the target. At long range you plink individual shots with less preceision than the m16 but it usually does the job fine(sort of like an AK). However the combination of body armor, 3 rooms flashed and cleared by you, 5 noob toob kills, and 5 30 bullet clips means that with the F2000 on assault you are practicaly unstoppable. I personally wonder why I don't see more GL use. I've used it non-stop the past 2 days and I am fairly certain it is the most reliable way to get kills as infantry on karkand. I'm almost scared it is making my real shooting skills rusty.

Thats my only critique of your post here. You downplay the shortrange power of the noob tube. And I would largely disagree with you about its effectiveness at long range. While YES its good, remember that if it takes more than one shot the target should be able to kill you with bullets in that time if they are good. In match play, for example, I would absolutely noob tube at short range. EA changed the weapon a while back but it still functions perfectly. Just aim at their feet. The grenade begins to bounce, and explodes on them.  Its hard not the get a KD over 2.0 simply running around karkand aiming for feet or walls.

And don't begin to call me cheap if you are a person that ever uses vehicles, artillery, shockpaddles, the G3, or the G36E.

+1 good post!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
great, well layed out post, makes a change from all the whining posts you normally see here. one question, where is the l85a1 in your review, or the FAMAS? +1 all the same
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Janysc
+59|6679|Norway
No offense, but it was painful to read. There are many awkward sentences that can be written more precisely. But hey, kudos for the guide. +1 for you. And alert me if you want it cleaner .
MrE`158
+103|6619
Good guide.

I'd suggest you go back over it with some statistical details about the weapons, which will back up some of your points.  Check out the wikipedia (linked at the top of the page) or go here: http://www.pixelwebgroup.com/temp/bf2/b … eapons.htm to get the numbers you need.

For example, you don't need to suggest that you think the M16 is the most accurate, you can say for sure that it is, just look at its Base Deviation (0.3, better than the all the others).  Still with the M16; it's probably worth pointing out in it's "Cons" that it's damage is not only the lowest, but as it's 33, you can't get a single-shot-kill, as a headshot will only deal 99 damage.

Also, while I agree the AK-101 is a great weapon, it's a bit over the top to say it has no cons.  It's actually less accurate while you're moving than the AK-47, and both of the AK's are pretty weak in terms of accuracy when compared to the others.

Anyway, good guide.  +1 for your efforts!
MrE`158
+103|6619

fatherted13 wrote:

great, well layed out post, makes a change from all the whining posts you normally see here. one question, where is the l85a1 in your review, or the FAMAS? +1 all the same
Those are medic weapons, even if they are assault rifles.  The guide's for the Assault kit, not the assault rifles...
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Thanks everyone, for being honest, too.  I'll try and do better in my next (if I ever do one).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard