nodehopper
+56|6671
I have searched the forums here (maybe I just missed an answer) and Googled, but can't seem to find any good information on the best settings for Venrilo so it works while playing BF2.

I have an old laptop I set up as an OpenSSH / web / ftp server so I can access my home network from work. It is a basic LAMP setup on Ubuntu. Today I decided I wanted to try setting up a Ventrilo server for myself and a few friends.

Setting up the server was a breeze and I can connect to it from outside my network after setting up the Router config for the right port. But now I am trying to figure out what is the best set up for using it "in game".

Some basic questions.

What are the best keys to bind to specific functions?

Can I have Ventrilo so it will always pick up my speaking with out having to hit a key? ( so I can pilot a helicopter and talk with out taking my fingers off the controls all the time) I see there is a key binding for mute!

Do I have to have a default channel if there is only 2 of us on the Ventrilo server?

How do most of you use it ...what works the best??

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Last edited by nodehopper (2006-08-07 15:04:29)

evo.mumbles
+8|6529|E. Sussex

nodehopper wrote:

What are the best keys to bind to specific functions?
Up to you really, extra buttons on the side of your mouse are good if you have any, I use 'b' if it's any help but really its what you find comfortable.....

nodehopper wrote:

Can I have Ventrilo so it will always pick up my speaking with out having to hit a key? ( so I can pilot a helicopter and talk with out taking my fingers off the controls all the time) I see there is a key binding for mute!
Yes, launch ventrilo (no need to connect to a server) and go to setup, un-select "Use Push-to-Talk Hot-key" and then the settings for sensitivity and silent time become available, you'll need to play around with those until it picks up your voice but not say, your breathing. Use the monitor and test buttons to work out when it's right.

If you insist on using this then be considerate to other people, no-one wants to hear you rustling around in your packet of crisps or bashing buttons on your keyboard or whatever. One guy in my old clan used to use this and it picked up his breathing, within 5 minutes everyone wanted to murder him.

nodehopper wrote:

Do I have to have a default channel if there is only 2 of us on the Ventrilo server?
No, by default you'll log into the root channel anyway (which will be the name of your server), if only 2 of you are ever going to use it then I don't see the point of having different channels to sit in.......

nodehopper wrote:

How you most of you use it ...what works the best??
? I'm not 100% sure what you mean here, I personally use push to talk and after a while it becomes second nature. Can be a pain while flying jets I guess which is why I'd recommend a mouse button or keyboard key that's in comfortable reach......

nodehopper wrote:

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Use push to talk, you'll get used to it and its a lot kinder on other users as I gaurantee no matter how carefully you set your transmit threshold you will end up sending them a whole load of crap.

The only way to get outbound volume right is to get someone else on there and keep testing playing around with the outbound adjustment until its clear to the person on the other end, the windows test is nothing like what someone else on the other end will hear.

If you do use push-to-talk then also select "discard hotkey" - this means no other program will pick up that keypress - so if you used 'e' and didn't bind another key to enter/exit vehicle in bf2 then you'd be ground pounding all round. Unless you spawn on your squad leader in a vehicle, in which case you'd be stuck inside until the vehicle was destroyed. So pick your key carefully and re-map as necessary.....
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6561
good answer  +1
Aphex_D
I live for the 306
+26|6680|Uk

evo.mumbles wrote:

Use push to talk, you'll get used to it and its a lot kinder on other users as I gaurantee no matter how carefully you set your transmit threshold you will end up sending them a whole load of crap.
I use Voice Activated thats why i bind , to Mute Mic and . to Mute Sound
evo.mumbles
+8|6529|E. Sussex

Aphex_D wrote:

evo.mumbles wrote:

I use Voice Activated thats why i bind , to Mute Mic and . to Mute Sound
Yeah I can see the benefit in some cases - especially if you use a joystick to fly and then reaching over to your keyboard/mouse to say something will just be a complete pain in the arse. I reckon most setups will work fine so long as you pick keys/buttons sensibly and after a few hours or so it would become intuitive.
Aphex_D
I live for the 306
+26|6680|Uk
Could you, using binds set a joystick key to PTT and also a Mouse key?

I think you can but cba to check
evo.mumbles
+8|6529|E. Sussex

Aphex_D wrote:

Could you, using binds set a joystick key to PTT and also a Mouse key?

I think you can but cba to check
Don't think so, unless you can set one of your joystick buttons to act as a mouse button or vice versa - like with logitech mice you can set the extra buttons to be recognised as keyboard keys but I don't have a joystick to try.
Aphex_D
I live for the 306
+26|6680|Uk
They're is a button for "Controllers" i think that will work with game controllers, i have none plugged in so i cant tell. But it would be interesting to find out
Des.Kmal
+917|6657|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
get teamspeak?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6561

Des.Kmal wrote:

get teamspeak?
fail
Aphex_D
I live for the 306
+26|6680|Uk
Teamspeak = low quality fact.
Best Ts codec is Speex 25.9 Kbit/sec
Best Vent codec = GSM 6.10 71.2 Kbit/sec

You must see the difference between 25.9 bits and 71.2?
(The higher the number, the more data transmited)
Darky
Hi..
+71|6601|Here.

Aphex_D wrote:

Teamspeak = low quality fact.
Best Ts codec is Speex 25.9 Kbit/sec
Best Vent codec = GSM 6.10 71.2 Kbit/sec

You must see the difference between 25.9 bits and 71.2?
(The higher the number, the more data transmited)
And also the more bandwith being used. If you have a decent connection, it wont matter too much, but I can tell when someone who has a decent rig is on vent, compared to when they arent.

War Junkies use vent, and my other squad use team speak. I dont notice too much of a difference between the two, except vent announces the players name or what they delegate when they join the channel/server.

Use PTT, its a lot nicer to everyone else on vent. I use Caps as PTT and resigned the squad screen to num pad 7.
LivelyToaster
+60|6759|Sacto, CA
I've noticed that there's less voice lag on Vent than TS. TS looks nicer, but it's less functional imo,
Defiance
+438|6710

LivelyToaster wrote:

I've noticed that there's less voice lag on Vent than TS. TS looks nicer, but it's less functional imo,
Yeah, TS has a better UI though. I hate ventrilo because of the beeping when someone starts talking. I'm too lazy to tell people how to turn it off every hour, so It's my bane.

None the less, I wish my clan used vent. Much better codecs.
Aphex_D
I live for the 306
+26|6680|Uk
Overall vent is better, but lacks decent administrative powers, on ts you have channel, server admins, vent is server admin only and you don't wanna hand that out to everyone.

Vent is the win
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6577|Internetfitlerland

Yeah i use B as my talk button.  Its close to everything.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6601|Here.

Aphex_D wrote:

Overall vent is better, but lacks decent administrative powers, on ts you have channel, server admins, vent is server admin only and you don't wanna hand that out to everyone.

Vent is the win
I think thats because Vent was originally designed as an audio-conferencing tool which was adapted to gaming. TS was a 'gaming client' from the start.
nodehopper
+56|6671

Defiance wrote:

LivelyToaster wrote:

Yeah, TS has a better UI though. I hate ventrilo because of the beeping when someone starts talking. I'm too lazy to tell people how to turn it off every hour, so It's my bane.

None the less, I wish my clan used vent. Much better codecs.
Hey Defiance......could you tell me how to turn off that annoying beep you mention. Maybe it will be one less person you will have to tell in game. Maybe everyone will read this and you will never have to say it again. (Sure....right!!)

oh and evo.mumbles ....I am going to +1 you again for such a good and detailed response to my post.

thanks all !!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard