paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6777
Just wonder if anyone could help me.

I am have Processor overheating problems and its causing BF2 to stutter lag (my ping is about 20) and then it gets too hot and crashes me to desktop.

I have a AMD2700+Barton Processor, which I have under-clocked down to 2100, because if I don't the heat problem crashes windows.

Even when I just start window fresh the temp is 46c but when I'm in game is shooting up towards 60c.

I have put on a new CPU fan and redone the thermal paste and it seem to work for a bit, but now its just the same.

Any tips, help and guides to help solve this problem would be great, even if you tell me that my CPU is on its last legs.
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6585|Windermere, GB
Reseat the Processor and clean any dust out the case.

Dont worry about big numbers, Bartons run hot. I had a late 3000+
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6777

BigglesPiP wrote:

Reseat the Processor and clean any dust out the case.

Dont worry about big numbers, Bartons run hot. I had a late 3000+
Yep have done a full clean, but its making BF2 unplayable with all the Stutter lag.
cablecopulate
+449|6775|Massachusetts.
You could try better (or more) case fans, mod the case so there's an exhaust fan on the top if you don't have one already, watercooling, try a better paste. Straighten up and bundle the wires in the case for better airflow. Intake fan in the front of the case.

edit: if you're on an xp 2700 that you downgraded to 2100 speeds (isn't that 1.7hgz?), I think it's time to start saving for a better system. I had an xp2200 and it just wasn't enough for the game after a while.

Last edited by cablecopulate (2006-08-05 12:52:45)

BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6585|Windermere, GB
There is allways the possibility that it's diying?

Mine is on paperweight duty now. But that's because I tryed to cure the ocerheating with a Thermaltake Bug typhoon.

Dont stick anything heavy on it!
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6777

cablecopulate wrote:

You could try better (or more) case fans, mod the case so there's an exhaust fan on the top if you don't have one already, watercooling, try a better paste. Straighten up and bundle the wires in the case for better airflow. Intake fan in the front of the case.

edit: if you're on an xp 2700 that you downgraded to 2100 speeds (isn't that 1.7hgz?), I think it's time to start saving for a better system. I had an xp2200 and it just wasn't enough for the game after a while.
Yep done all that with the wires, starting to thing the CPU is on its last legs.
cablecopulate
+449|6775|Massachusetts.
It doesn't have to die, though. There's no rule that says you can't have two computers going at once!
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
open case and let a deskfan blow into it at full speed, has a huge effect
a fly
+105|6681|The netherlands

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

open case and let a deskfan blow into it at full speed, has a huge effect
please quit your nooblet advice, thats not a permanent solution. better ones have been given.

what thermal paste did you use
T0rr3nt
+54|6614|Michigan
ZALMAN, thats all i have to say.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6604|NYC / Hamburg

yes get a better hsf, better airflow, use AS5 and when you underclock make sure to lower the voltage
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard