RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6570|Oxford
Interesting...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.j … nboi03.xml

Italy is renound for having clever bankers and appears to be influenced by Germany and France who, according to the article, will most likely follow suit in slashing their holdings of US dollar bonds in favour of Sterling. This is on the back of the UAE and Qatar saying they are moving to Euro holdings.

If China and Japan decide to go the same way the dollar would crash.
elite
+89|6716|Sheffield, England
SO who whats happens then?? the value of the dollor goes down??
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6543|Doncaster UK
and the value of sterling goes up.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
Omg! We All Gonna Die!!
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

mavrick 3399 wrote:

and the value of sterling goes up.
Thats nice to know.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6570|Oxford
Actually if the dollar crashes we're all fucked..

Europe is fully expecting US investors to be looking at the pretty dire trade deficit they have over there when the interest rate cycle peaks in the summer. The dollar will invariably slide at about that time but this year it's going to be bad.
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6754|Leipzig/Germany
so european will get BF2142 for less money - thats nice

Last edited by |60|Cobalt (2006-08-04 05:45:45)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
Nothing happens, Italy controls very little and influnces even less.

Like a mouse farting at The Opera. Only the mouse knows he did it.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6684|Canada
pfft I'll take an informed man's word for it, obviously
alpinestar
+304|6598|New York City baby.
not all will be fucked, but US will notice the most.
comet241
+164|6767|Normal, IL
im glad to see that you have no background whatsoever in finance at all. So what if the dollar goes down a little? You think that the value of the dollar hasn't varied widely in the history of the united states?

It means nothing because the Euro is overvalued anyway and the investors are only going to get stuck in the ass. The only way that the Euro can save itself is if the EU acts as one instead of many, but it wont, and the euro will fall, just watch. why do you think several countries have kept their own currency? britain and sweden to name two. dont let some italian bankers fool you into believing the value of the dollar is going down, its currently undervalued, thats all. let the free market show you the way.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6684|Canada
well I guess we shall see shant we
today the US dollar took a hit against every other currency except ours, because we're getting affected by our interest rates in the same way
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6684|Canada
If free market was the way it should be, I'd support it, too bad it isn't  Nothing is free about trading with the US.  Even if you're part of NAFTA.

Last edited by Spumantiii (2006-08-04 14:48:19)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
you just keep quiet and don't stop sending us your black market hi-flow toilets and cigarettes
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

comet241 wrote:

im glad to see that you have no background whatsoever in finance at all. So what if the dollar goes down a little? You think that the value of the dollar hasn't varied widely in the history of the united states?

It means nothing because the Euro is overvalued anyway and the investors are only going to get stuck in the ass. The only way that the Euro can save itself is if the EU acts as one instead of many, but it wont, and the euro will fall, just watch. why do you think several countries have kept their own currency? britain and sweden to name two. dont let some italian bankers fool you into believing the value of the dollar is going down, its currently undervalued, thats all. let the free market show you the way.
The Euro is overvalued, as is the Pound.  The Dollar is not going to lose any significant ground, both because of the strength of our market, and the fact that China and Japan are still buying our Treasury Bonds.

The countries you talked about have kept their currency because it is significantly stronger than both the Euro and the US Dollar, the two leading currencies in use throughout the world.  It has nothing to do with those countries believing the Euro will fail, which it won't.  I expect to see the Euro lose a few points, along with the Pound, while the US dollar gains a few.  As a US citizen, I am more worried about China and Japan (but mostly China) buying up our national debt than worrying about Italians divesting their bonds.

As for the free market, come off that one man, there is no such thing as a free market.  It would be great if there was, but that's just a phrase economists and politicians throw around to make people think they have the people in the best interest ("its a free market, you know like freedom.").  The reality is there is no unseeing hand guiding the market, there is no free market, and the idea of supply and demand only goes so far.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6684|Canada

kr@cker wrote:

you just keep quiet and don't stop sending us your black market hi-flow toilets and cigarettes
those are FRENCH cigarettes lololol      OoooooOOO
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
enabler!!!
jonsimon
+224|6497

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

comet241 wrote:

The Euro is overvalued, as is the Pound.  The Dollar is not going to lose any significant ground, both because of the strength of our market, and the fact that China and Japan are still buying our Treasury Bonds.

The countries you talked about have kept their currency because it is significantly stronger than both the Euro and the US Dollar, the two leading currencies in use throughout the world.  It has nothing to do with those countries believing the Euro will fail, which it won't.  I expect to see the Euro lose a few points, along with the Pound, while the US dollar gains a few.  As a US citizen, I am more worried about China and Japan (but mostly China) buying up our national debt than worrying about Italians divesting their bonds.

As for the free market, come off that one man, there is no such thing as a free market.  It would be great if there was, but that's just a phrase economists and politicians throw around to make people think they have the people in the best interest ("its a free market, you know like freedom.").  The reality is there is no unseeing hand guiding the market, there is no free market, and the idea of supply and demand only goes so far.
Actually, perfectly competitive markets do exist. However, they are generally small because differences in location create differetiation in product and thus allow each firm to set the market price a little. An example of a perfectly competitive market would be one in which many farmers sell corn in the same farmers market at the same time. All farmers that sell corn in this market would be price takers, meaning they must set price equal to that of all the other farmers or they will not sell any corn.

As for supply and demand, you must not be well educated in economics. Supply and demand applies in every market everywhere no matter what.

Last edited by jonsimon (2006-08-04 15:11:10)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

jonsimon wrote:

Actually, perfectly competitive markets do exist. However, they are generally small because differences in location create differetiation in product and thus allow each firm to set the market price a little. An example of a perfectly competitive market would be one in which many farmers sell corn in the same farmers market at the same time. All farmers that sell corn in this market would be price takers, meaning they must set price equal to that of all the other farmers or they will not sell any corn.

As for supply and demand, you must not be well educated in economics. Supply and demand applies in every market everywhere no matter what.
I agree that on a small scale free markets do exist, I need to clarify and say any type of significant market is and will never be free.  Yes, a farmers market or such could be an example of a free market.

Supply and Demand applies in every market, but it only goes so far, as I said.  In todays markets, there are many factors that influence the supply and demand idea, one being artificial demand.

I am educated in economics, just not well educated.  However, I am learning more as we speak (John Maynard Keynes FTW!).
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6562
Don't forget the most important thing which is elasticity for each particular market. Man its been years since econ 101
jonsimon
+224|6497

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

I agree that on a small scale free markets do exist, I need to clarify and say any type of significant market is and will never be free.  Yes, a farmers market or such could be an example of a free market.

Supply and Demand applies in every market, but it only goes so far, as I said.  In todays markets, there are many factors that influence the supply and demand idea, one being artificial demand.

I am educated in economics, just not well educated.  However, I am learning more as we speak (John Maynard Keynes FTW!).
Well Monopolistic competition is still a relatively free market. In Monopolistic competition, all the firms are not price takers because of differentiations in their good, but they still reach market equillibrium in the long run.

It is the Oligopolies and Perfect Monopolies that are the least effecient in the long run, barriers to entry or exit prevent long term equillibrium, thus hurting the consumer and the effeciency of the market.

Considering the term "free market" only refers to the absence of barriers to entry, its not unreasonable to state that there are many "free" markets and that they can grow to considerable size.

The primary problem with the political approach to creating a "free market economy" is that governments become corrupted by special interest groups and provide firms with barriers to entry, creating oligopolies.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
no problems yet, Still want to mouth off ?
Kayato
+2|6459|Near Milan/ Italy
......i'm italian........and i don't know anything about that!!!!!!!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Do you know why they're doing it?
It's because the US economy is headed for a possible recession. It won't necessarily happen, but Bush's mismanagement of the US economy has had serious consequences and has created the largest government deficits in history.
No one wants to have their money tied up in a commodity that could suddenly plummet in value. If US borrowing is not curbed soon, then the US economy will be in serious trouble.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
At least we have China inflating our Money so they can keep their products cheap. If they ever decide to dump it we'd be very screwed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard