Poll

Rate AF bombers compared to vanilla ones...

They're so much better!13%13% - 18
They're not better, they fucking suck when compared!45%45% - 61
They're alright/about the same.17%17% - 24
I dont have AF so wouldn't know23%23% - 32
Total: 135
PRiMACORD
+190|6638|Home of the Escalade Herds
They suck shit compared to the vanilla bombers, anyone who says different should be shot.

Vanilla Bombers:

+Higher Base speed
+Afterburner
+Better Bombs
+Equal strength cannons (yes it's true)
+Laser Guided Bombs
+Same hitpoints
+Air to air missiles

It's no competition, period the end.
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6494|Purdue

blacksheepcannibal wrote:

What does DICE arm the attack craft with? 4 dumb bombs. That leaves 6! slots open on the Su and 9! slots open on the A-10. They dont even have an alternate fire!!
Because DICE is gay.
Meggido
+7|6661
I voted that they are less optimal than the vanilla ones. The reasons are simple:

1. Vanilla bombers have Laser Guided Missiles.
2. Vanilla bombers have Air to Air capability.
3. Vanilla bombers guns are as effective as AF bombers, but there is a lot more infantry on vanilla maps, making the machine gun strafes a lot more effective.
4. Vanilla bombers have only to fear other planes (if the pilot is decent) because of their speed. AF bombers can be shot down with AA cannon fire alone and APCs will be able to track and shoot down an AF bomber as well.

Now, why are then, all bombers in AF so effective?

1. There is no substantial Air to Air threat. No missiles will lock on you, so decent piloting will get you out of most Air combat situations. The difficulty of air to air combat in AF due to the lack of missiles makes for very meager rewards of shooting an enemy plane. The time it takes to track, follow and shoot down a decent pilot is enough to do a full bombing run and a reload in most cases. I will pursue air to air combat only on a plane that is already smoking. I have done full sets of games with no deaths as a bomber pilot in AF. There is very little risk involved if you limit your bombing runs to high altitude bombing. Although you are slow, most planes will take two missiles and still fly, so you are OK as long as you do maintain your top speed, and keep out of straight paths where AA cannons will be able to track you.

2. Because of the amount of vehicles, AF is a target rich environment.  Most bombing runs are decided on the amount of probable targets alone. In Vanilla, your radar targets are scarcer.

3. The front guns are very good against light armored vehicles and infantry. Also, they rip little birds apart quite well if you have a good vector of approach. They can take other planes, BUT, you need a very very good first strafe or you might be in for a long air fight if you want to down your enemy.

4. Low speeds allow for very maneuverable aircraft. The Frogfoot, however, has a tendency not to be able to pull down from a steep climb, which is the only maneuverability issue I have found (pull up to do a loop if in this situation). Note that the low speed also allows for easier landings, which is the best way to fix an aircraft if you are good at landings. A-10 seems to be the best overall craft of all three, however there is a little thing about the Fatan that makes it my favorite (perhaps the map where it appears).
mUnKi_UnKel
+7|6714|State of Confusion
Good write up, Meggido.  +1 for that.

mUnKi
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6544
Well I dunno I like flying in AF a whole lot better since enemy planes dont ussualy bother you. In Vanilla the bombers are constantly annoyed by the freaking fighters and you do less time bombing and more time evading. The only thing I dont like about the AF planes is that their damn flares dont work. Drop as many flares as you want you still get hit.

The A10 cannon while you guys thing its week I've taken out a lot of linebackers/tunguskas with it. Its good for infantry strafing and for soft targets. Sure you might not be abel to minigun a tank but you got 4 bombs drop 2 at a time and ussualy thats plenty if you know how to dive bomb well. The vanilla bombers are only good for carpet bombing bases.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6579|England

Need an option for "Im a ground pounder, I do the dirty work and dont give a damn about jet whores".

But it is true, the jets on AF suck. From the perspective of someone who never flys cos he sucks in jets, I can vouch for this.
Being in AA on Road Rage is damn easy, and you can easily get 20/0 scores with it. Its even easy on Midnight Sun. Hell, you can take them down with the main cannon and 1 missile. In vanilla, you need 4 missiles and a lot of luck.
Try doing that on Daqing, or other maps with vanilla bombers - a good AA user will get a +ve score, nothing more, nothing less. And will be constantly screaming for ammunition
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6765
All I ask for:

A-10. 2 decent passes on the main cannon will take out an MBT. Takes 3 if it is a really short run. Secondary armament is 2x cluster bombs (drop 2 at a time, for a total of 4): excellent against infantry, very wide area of impact, but not very much damage at all against vehicles. Secondary alternate armament: The exact same unguided rockets on the Helicopter.

Su-25. Slightly less powerful cannon (3 passes for an MBT). 2x Laser Guided Missles. Automatic Lock On in the front view that takes 3-4 seconds - missle must remain in front of jet to be guided. (similar to the A2A Heater). 4x iron bombs.

Chinese POS: Cannons are identical to the cannons on vanilla, *but* there are two of them (so double damage and a cool echo sound when fired). 4x dumb bombs, and the same rockets as are on the helicopter. Afterburner included.

Would not make any of the aircraft too powerful; would give them versatility and much better and more realistic roles. Overall toughness, manunverability, and speed would not need to change (so AAA would still be effective). Remember: there are many more Stinger sites on the AF maps.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard