Shadow893
lel
+75|6699|England
I was wondering whether it is a god idea to run the PC without the side-cover on foir better air circulation. Is this good or bad?
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6563|Kent, UK
i do this but have a desk fan blowing into the side
Shadow893
lel
+75|6699|England
Same, but didn't think anyone else did it.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6639|Finland

Doing it ghetto-style, eh? (term quoted from.. FubarJonny, I believe)

Nothing bad with it, except for extra dust and a louder noise, maybe..

I've gone with an extra fan blowing air from the front of the case to the back for a more all-round airflow.

Last edited by DonFck (2006-08-02 03:26:38)

I need around tree fiddy.
AmbassadorofPain
+34|6664|Devil's Perch
I have my new machine open and had its two predecessors open, too. You just should take some time to clean the case with a vacuum cleaner every once in a while, cause it'll get dusty a lot faster than with the side cover on. I also tend to clean mainboard, cpu cooler and other parts with a brush from time to time because of that.
Proud member of a dead community.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6699|England

AmbassadorofPain wrote:

I have my new machine open and had its two predecessors open, too. You just should take some time to clean the case with a vacuum cleaner every once in a while, cause it'll get dusty a lot faster than with the side cover on. I also tend to clean mainboard, cpu cooler and other parts with a brush from time to time because of that.
It keeps it cooler though?
cospengle
+140|6494|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Shadow893 wrote:

AmbassadorofPain wrote:

Yes, as long as your heat sinks don't get clogged with dust. I use a 10 inch fan blowing directly into the side of my box in summer. It's the only way I can stop it overheating (without spending any money lol). But you do need to vacuum it regularly. I'm not sure that brushing is a good idea as you might risk damaging your components.

Edit: spelling. my bad I forgot about spell check

Last edited by cospengle (2006-08-02 03:34:45)

Aust1mh
+23|6575|Sydney, Australia
Just get on ur knees and blow on it.
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6839
Heh. I wouldn't recommend a strong vacuum cleaner inside you computer.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6699|England

Mabec wrote:

lol i was thinking of that. suck your components out.
AmbassadorofPain
+34|6664|Devil's Perch

Shadow893 wrote:

Definitely.
Proud member of a dead community.
a fly
+105|6651|The netherlands

Shadow893 wrote:

Mabec wrote:

lol i was thinking of that. suck your components out.
awh dammit, i was just cutting a hole in my rig so i could do that, now i dont it for nothing
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6723
depends on the airflow, if you got good airflow then it would make temps higher, if you have bad airflow it would drop the temps
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
MECtallica
+73|6511|jalalabad
having a fan next to it is bad, some one said before here theres electromatic interferenece or something , anyways, if I have my side cover off, my temps, mostly enviroment temps stay below 50C full load, (I have one ghetto 120mm case fan) with side panel on , GPU never passes 66C, and env never passes 52... hey cyborg what is the RV 530 chip threshold >.<?

Last edited by MECtallica (2006-08-02 05:26:44)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

MECtallica wrote:

hey cyborg what is the RV 530 chip threshold >.<?
100°C but it should stay under 80°C
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6572|Area 51

MECtallica wrote:

having a fan next to it is bad, some one said before here theres electromatic interferenece or something , anyways, if I have my side cover off, my temps, mostly enviroment temps stay below 50C full load, (I have one ghetto 120mm case fan) with side panel on , GPU never passes 66C, and env never passes 52... hey cyborg what is the RV 530 chip threshold >.<?
thats bs on the electromatic interference,  I've had the thing next to me comp for 2 weeks while playing BF2, damn kept my CPU at 54 degrees (celsius) Now with the panel on it becomes 66 while playing bf2, lol, seems that all those special PC fans are crap compared to a house fan
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
Some observations.

1. The ideal set-up is side on with adequate case fans lower-front and upper-back.
2. Where 1. can't be acheived, having the side off with a desk fan blowing in is ok, but a little risky - electro-magnetic effects from a faulty fan could cause issues.
3. Using a vac' to clean out cases is a really bad idea - vacum cleaners generate a lot of static and this can damage components. There's actually little risk of you sucking components off boards (they're soldered in place). Again it's the electro-magnetic effects that are the danger.
4. Very good cooling solutions can be bought for very little money - exactly what you should buy depends on the rest of your set-up - look at a good reviews site like toms hardware.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard