<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

Spumantiii wrote:

Today a UN observation post was hit by Israeli precision weapons.  4 UN soldiers were killed including a Canadian.  Technically it's not an act of war since the UN is not a nation but this is some serious shit.  Israel claims to have no knowledge of the UN presence at the base.  The particular base has been in use by the UN since 1976, 30 years, and has never attempted to hide their identities.  Israel claims it's policy is not to attack civilians or the UN.  Khofi Annan (sp)  is accusing Israel of knowingly attacking the outpost.   Israel, with the most competent intel agencies in the world, made a boo boo.  This is a perfect example of how
A) precision weapons are as precise as the CHOSEN target.
B) Israel disregards our concerns and would rather shoot first.
C) Israel is also gulity of terrorism.

Oh one point I forgot to mention.  After the first strike, Israel waited for relief to come to rescue the UN officers, then struck again, to confirm the kills.   Absolutely fucking sickening.  This is the group you wish to defend?  Both sides are wrong for what they are doing.  I guess Israel might be getting the UN back for all the violations that were put on them for other acts of terrorism.  Israel has offered an apology but how much more can be accepted that's outside the concensus of the reasonable world?
WRONG!  Witnesses Say Without a doubt, That Hezbolla Terrorists were standing Right next to the Outpost Shooting at Israeli soldiers. Can you say HUMAN SHIELDS???  Hezbolla are chicken shit terrorists, plain and simple.
actually mcminty feel free to generalize every statement by one post i dont care

here ill add something

B.Schuss wrote:

Kofi looked pretty pissed in his earlier statement. He even accused Israel of purposely targeting the UN observers, a very serious accusation. Given the fact that the UN post has been there for the better part of 30 years, and given the reputation of the IDF intelligence, I really cannot say I am fully convinced this was an "accident"...sad

Israel has lost it, IMHO. They are obviously not achieving their goal ( getting the POW's free ) and their actions are bound to alienate them further.

We'll see how the day plays out. I believe though that it is maybe time for those who have supported Israel no matter what they do to seriously reconsider their approach.
1st part, that Kofi allready indicted Israel without due process is ridiculous and even a UN leader, whos name escapes me, said so. To come out with accusations without evidence is very unprofessional.

2nd part.. this campaign has little to do with the Israeli captive anymore, if they find that kids body tomorrow nothing will change. When Israel responded after the attack and kidnapping Hezbollah repsonded hitting Israeli targets with Iranian missiles. Its quite clear that Israels objective now is the destruction of Hezbollah in Lebanon.. and i support it.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6842|Cologne, Germany

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

you should really go ahead and ban me cuz im not gona censor myself to pg

im not sure if its a language barrier were having here but callin what i just said a personal attack is way off base

saying canadien pretteens come on here bashing america is a simple observation. be real mr shuss did the EU comment offend you or something ? germans are at the top of my euro list right next to the dutch.

commence with the banning
this is solely about ensuring you contribute to this debate, i.e. the topic at hand in a serious way. I am pretty confident you are able to do so. lowering the discussion to a pesonal level by supposedly dismissing other people's arguments on the basis of what you think you know about their age, social background or education is what I consider a personal attack.

Concentrate on the arguments presented to you and you'll be fine.

that's all I am going to say on this.
B.Schuss

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

actually mcminty feel free to generalize every statement by one post i dont care

here ill add something

B.Schuss wrote:

Kofi looked pretty pissed in his earlier statement. He even accused Israel of purposely targeting the UN observers, a very serious accusation. Given the fact that the UN post has been there for the better part of 30 years, and given the reputation of the IDF intelligence, I really cannot say I am fully convinced this was an "accident"...sad

Israel has lost it, IMHO. They are obviously not achieving their goal ( getting the POW's free ) and their actions are bound to alienate them further.

We'll see how the day plays out. I believe though that it is maybe time for those who have supported Israel no matter what they do to seriously reconsider their approach.
1st part, that Kofi allready indicted Israel without due process is ridiculous and even a UN leader, whos name escapes me, said so. To come out with accusations without evidence is very unprofessional.

2nd part.. this campaign has little to do with the Israeli captive anymore, if they find that kids body tomorrow nothing will change. When Israel responded after the attack and kidnapping Hezbollah repsonded hitting Israeli targets with Iranian missiles. Its quite clear that Israels objective now is the destruction of Hezbollah in Lebanon.. and i support it.
see ? now we are talking...

As far as the SG is concerned, I believe he has apologized in the meantime. His first reaction most likely was based on emotion rather than information. unprofessionally, maybe, but easy to understand.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6562

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

WRONG!  Witnesses Say Without a doubt, That Hezbolla Terrorists were standing Right next to the Outpost Shooting at Israeli soldiers. Can you say HUMAN SHIELDS???  Hezbolla are chicken shit terrorists, plain and simple.
So they didn't think they should maybe warn them before they went in and risked their lives?  And where are these witness accounts, I seem to have missed them.
cosmichippo
+5|6487|New Brunswick, Canada

PuckMercury wrote:

oooh, NPR ... that clarifies it

Think of it this way - what the hell would Israel have to gain from blasting a UN outpost?

alpinestar wrote:

I bet america regrets bomb deliveries to Israel now.
do you punish the manufacturer of the gun in murder trials?  A tool is neither good nor evil, neither it its manufacturer.  The morality lies in they who impliment it.
Ultimately, yes, you are correct. However; when you consider these facts...they are two of a kind (US & ISR) So I don't blame Israel for what they are doing, they are bullied and hands basically forced. I have posted these facts elsewhere but thought you might benefit from its feedback. Also, I felt that these fit in quite well for this post.
The US was the first country to recognize Israel, only minutes after it was officially created in 1948  2. The United Nations has been generally hostile to Israel and often the US was her sole defender in the world body. Israel has returned the friendship by voting solidly with the US on virtually all issues.  3. After Israel became an independent country in 1948, the United States joined an embargo on weapons sales to Israel, the 1949 Tripartite Agreement on weapons. Although the US sold hundreds of millions of dollars in weaponry to Arab states during the 1950s and early 1960s, there were no sales to Israel until 1962 when the US agreed to sell to Israel its first significant American system, the HAWK anti-aircraft missile. My point to that was simply to establish that the doctrine of maintaining Irael's "qualitative edge" over its neighbors was born in the war's (Yom Kipper) aftermath. 4. And how about Economically speaking; Israel is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Several bi national programs allow American companies and universities to benefit from Israel’s expertise in agriculture and high technology, while others aim to break down barriers to trade and cooperation between the two countries to make collaboration easier. Israel was the first country to sign a free trade agreement with the US, which has resulted in a quintupling of trade between the two countries. The US-Israel Free Trade Agreement (FTA) has served as a model for other trade agreements including the October 2000 FTA between the US and Jordan. 5.  Jews are powerful and influential in the USA. But if no Jew had ever set foot in America, the United States and Israel would tend to understand each other nonetheless--because they are two of a kind.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
This is a long, long time ago, on America's battlefield-intelligence capabilities, but the played a few war games and they discovered that Israel was one of the few countries capable of overwhelming the US battlefield-intel system (as of four years ago), simply by swamping it with cruise missles, I think. Don't quote me on that one.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

Bubbalo wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

So they didn't think they should maybe warn them before they went in and risked their lives?  And where are these witness accounts, I seem to have missed them.
Watch the news, and Listen to the People that were IN the attack, Hezbolla didnt let them Move away.

Kofi is backtracking like theres no tomarrow. With the facts now out, Hezbolla Is getting the FULL blame like they should have in the first place. Ill say it again, HUMAN SHIELDS!
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York
The best defense of all this is the USA had Nothing to do with the creation of Isreal! Europe did. Yet the US gets all the shit.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6562
The US was in the UN, and voted with it.  What did Europe do that was so special?
B.Schuss

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

here ill add something

B.Schuss wrote:

see, and that's where I think their current strategy is failing. If the War in Iraq has proven anything then it would be that one cannot fight terrorists sucessfully with regular armed forces. The terrorists will simply hide among the civilian population for a while, and the more Israel bombs those civilians indiscriminately, the more support the terrorists will ultimately gain.

Right now, it would seem that the only ones fighting for the Lebanese people are Hezbollah, while the Lebanese government does nothing. They are neither trying to stop IDF forces from occupying
their territory, nor are they trying to get Hezbollah activities under control.
Wether Hezbollah has brought this upon their population themselves by kidnapping IDF soldiers and firing rockets at Israeli cities is not important as far as the Lebanese mood towards the current IDF tactics is concerned.
It might be obvious to us "neutral" observers, but you'd have difficulties to find "neutral" observers in cities like Beirut or Tyre.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
BBC:

Beckett protest at weapons flight 

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has protested to the US about its use of Prestwick Airport in western Scotland to transport bombs to Israel.
Amid the Lebanon crisis, she said it seemed the US was ignoring procedure, and she registered her concerns with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

SNP leader Alex Salmond claimed the UK government must decide whether to "be an aircraft carrier" for the US.

The Lib Dems suggested the Americans were taking the UK for granted.

Mrs Beckett was asked about the controversy after discussing the Middle East crisis with fellow foreign ministers in Rome.

"We have already let the United States know that this is an issue that appears to be seriously at fault, and we will be making a formal protest if it appears that that is what has happened," she said.

Opposition parties have reacted angrily to a report in The Daily Telegraph newspaper that two chartered Airbus A310 cargo planes filled with laser-guided bombs landed at Prestwick en-route to Israel from the US.

Do we really think that it's a great idea at this particular moment with an escalating Middle East conflict to have GBUs [guided bomb units] sent to arm one side in that conflict to the teeth?

The Israelis have requested the munitions to attack bunkers being used by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

Bubbalo wrote:

The US was in the UN, and voted with it.  What did Europe do that was so special?
The countries involved are the ones who found the land, gave it to them in reparation for Hitler gassing half the population. It was a guilt move. Only thing is, the US was the first to recognize Israel as a country. The US had no say in the matter of the creation process of Israel. Only thing the US has done is Give them the means to defend themselves after they were dumped in the middle of Arab Countries that hate Jews. Its that simple. Europe dumped them without means to defend. so we Helped them out. Israel(without our aid) Would have been nuked LONG ago by a rouge Arab country that wouldn't have cared what the consequences were for doing it.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

The countries involved are the ones who found the land, gave it to them in reparation for Hitler gassing half the population. It was a guilt move. Only thing is, the US was the first to recognize Israel as a country. The US had no say in the matter of the creation process of Israel. Only thing the US has done is Give them the means to defend themselves after they were dumped in the middle of Arab Countries that hate Jews. Its that simple. Europe dumped them without means to defend. so we Helped them out. Israel(without our aid) Would have been nuked LONG ago by a rouge Arab country that wouldn't have cared what the consequences were for doing it.
THe US government did not aid Israel militarily until well after the 1948 war. The Israelis themselves fought their way to victory. No mean achievement, given the odds they faced, I must concede.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6786|Perth, Western Australia

PuckMercury wrote:

oooh, NPR ... that clarifies it

Think of it this way - what the hell would Israel have to gain from blasting a UN outpost?

alpinestar wrote:

I bet america regrets bomb deliveries to Israel now.
do you punish the manufacturer of the gun in murder trials?  A tool is neither good nor evil, neither it its manufacturer.  The morality lies in they who impliment it.
But a tool is a tool. It is of use furthering humans. A bomb has only one use: death
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

CameronPoe wrote:

BBC:

Beckett protest at weapons flight 

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has protested to the US about its use of Prestwick Airport in western Scotland to transport bombs to Israel.
Amid the Lebanon crisis, she said it seemed the US was ignoring procedure, and she registered her concerns with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

SNP leader Alex Salmond claimed the UK government must decide whether to "be an aircraft carrier" for the US.

The Lib Dems suggested the Americans were taking the UK for granted.

Mrs Beckett was asked about the controversy after discussing the Middle East crisis with fellow foreign ministers in Rome.

"We have already let the United States know that this is an issue that appears to be seriously at fault, and we will be making a formal protest if it appears that that is what has happened," she said.

Opposition parties have reacted angrily to a report in The Daily Telegraph newspaper that two chartered Airbus A310 cargo planes filled with laser-guided bombs landed at Prestwick en-route to Israel from the US.

Do we really think that it's a great idea at this particular moment with an escalating Middle East conflict to have GBUs [guided bomb units] sent to arm one side in that conflict to the teeth?

The Israelis have requested the munitions to attack bunkers being used by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Your last statement says it all. Bunkers where the cowards are hiding right in the middle of towns!

As for the UK, Whatever, They are passing a law that guys cant show bare chests. Talk about over the top(no pun intended) This means, if your playing sports in public, its sweat and overheat, or get arrested for taking off your shirt. OMFG give me a break already. Thats what i think of the recent UK politics
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

CameronPoe wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

THe US government did not aid Israel militarily until well after the 1948 war. The Israelis themselves fought their way to victory. No mean achievement, given the odds they faced, I must concede.
You are correct, But after the US witnessed the hatred Of the Country of israel by its own neighbors, we stepped in. All be it after there war.
Erkut.hv
+124|6736|California
Sooner or later there is going to be "the" war that settles this once and for all. I think everyone (Syria, Iran, the US, etc...) are looking for excuses to turn up the heat, and get their respective forces into the mix.

With any luck, Iran gets uppity, fires missiles at Israel, then we divert naval and air forces, and get to flatten them and Syria in one fell swoop.

Problem solved. Then, we go back, and set up buffer zones, sit down with the Israelis and Palestinians, and hash out their issues without fear of outside interference. Give them their land, and get this done up.
PekkaA
+36|6665|Finland

<[onex wrote:

>Headstone]As for the UK, Whatever, They are passing a law that guys cant show bare chests. Talk about over the top(no pun intended) This means, if your playing sports in public, its sweat and overheat, or get arrested for taking off your shirt. OMFG give me a break already. Thats what i think of the recent UK politics
What an intelligent comment. Dragging something to this conversation that has nothing to do with subject. And btw, don't get me started about USA and ridiculous laws...

<[onex wrote:

>Headstone]Watch the news, and Listen to the People that were IN the attack, Hezbolla didnt let them Move away.
BS. Because one of UN officers was finnish, it's been all over in news here. And nobody has said anything like that. And they even have radio conversations between killed officers and others.
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6721

Spumantiii wrote:

apparently the accident happened 14 other times before they hit.  That's precision
This is true. The israeli bombs were getting progressively closer and closer to the UN outpost (and it wasnt just some random UN guys, it was a UN outpost which has been there for many years and is well known), and the UN contacted Israel  10 times during the day leading up to the event telling them the exact location and that they were bombing too close.

Neither side is "right" here. Hezbollah originally formed as a resistance group to defend Lebanon when Israel invaded during the 80s, but has since become more aggressive. Israel is killing civilians in order to kill terrorists, which makes them no different.

The thing with fighting terrorists is you can't kill them all. If you kill say 100 terrorists and in the process kill 100 civilians, you have to realise that the families of those civilians are not going to be like "ok, you murdered my brother / son / sister / daughter / wife / husband, and that is ok, because I think you were aiming at someone else". It's the old violence begets violence thing. The more force is used to attack terrorists, the more people who will believe the terrorists are fighting on the right side.

In other words, if Israel maintains its legitimacy solely through violence, there will never be peace in the Middle East.

Also, the US supplying Israel isn't at all like blaming the gun maker for the killings. It's more like if there had been a gun dealer at Colombine and every time one of the kids ran out of bullets, the gun dealer gave them a fresh mag.

Another thing to remember is that Israel would not be able to *exist* if it weren't for the billions of dollars of weapons they get from the USA. New Zealand is a similar size to Israel, try comparing their military strengths and then tell me that Israel is just defending itself.

Israel also has WMDs. As in, around 200 nuclear warheads.

Don't forget the one-sided nature of the warfare. Hezbollah has recently started using "modern" weapons like shaped-charge explosives, which are so new that they were used during world war 2, and they also use the Katyusha unguided rockets, which some of you may know is a Russian rocket from, again, world war 2. They've fired thousands of rockets in the past month, many thousands, and they've killed a handful of people. Meanwhile Israel is using tv-guided, laser-guided and satellite-guided airstrikes and is crippling Lebanon.

Israel also ordered every civilian in southern Lebanon to move north past a particular river. How would you feel about a foreign army bombing your country and ordering you to leave your home so they can bomb it?
More to the point, Israel has bombed and wiped out several convoys of civilians who were doing exactly what Israel asked.

Maybe, for some insane reason, some of you think that Israel SHOULD be killing civilians.

I'd just like to know how you think this situation will ever go away if your only solution is to kill innocents.

There is no acceptable number of innocent deaths, there is no number of dead terrorists that can bring back a child who was torn apart by a laser-guided bomb that levelled his entire goddam street, nor is there any number of dead terrorists that will guarentee that it would be the last time a child was ever killed like that.

I am totally aware that nothing I can say will convince some of the people on here. For those who agree with me, read this essay by Noam Chomsky, it is an eye-opener.

http://www.chomsky.info/talks/20011018.htm
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6721

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Your last statement says it all. Bunkers where the cowards are hiding right in the middle of towns!
That, actually, is a really good example of how the media channels filter information. You know, the "Us" and "Them" language.

If it's "Us", we are in air raid shelters. If it's "Them", they are in bunkers. That is the only difference. When Israel is talking about bombing bunkers, they mean civilian air raid shelters that they think may also have Hezbollah fighters in them.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6683|Canada

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

Spark wrote:

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

Yeah make sure you stay in junior high till you graduate cuz if this is the critical reason you attained youll need to keep at it. Through your extensive critical training you seem to think a grouping of countries (the EU) whose army is NATO (which includes the United States) *and thier equipment is mostly outdated american* poses as some sort of threat makes you egregiously misinformed. Coupled with you wishfull thinking that china *just beyond a third world country* whos military is starkly underprepared for any fictional invasion of America.

I know I cant expect much from some little boy playing on his mommys computer who peruses the interweb looking for anti-American rhetoric and conspiracy theory babble. Qualifying yourself by saying your mommy pays for your "shool fees" smells about as relevant as Cameron saying "I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany". Noones impressed, noone gives a shit, and none of this makes you any kind of expert or someone that anyone should give a flying shit about your opinions.
Oh, so we measure power by the size of their army, now? Who gives a shit about what would happen if there was a war? I give more of a shit about what will happen in twenty years time when the world is forced to fall back to China, the EU and Australia (not joking - we have the world's largest uranium and some of the largest coal deposits, and a few days ago all real opposition to the uranium industry's growth was removed).

And I'm not sure quite what to expect from you, after all, you haven't acutally answered his arguments, just made a nice big personal attack...

But, then again, why should you listen to me, I'm just a fourteen year old kid. Never mind the fact that many of MY posts and his have been far more intelligent...

Back on topic.

I reckon that Israel's intentions over the whole thing are looking VERY, VERY suspect. Blowing up a UN observer posts, after repeated calls by high-ranking UN officials is a little suspect.

What seems MORE suspect, and almost totally ignored (the only thing I know about it is a twety-second sound-bit on one of the news programs) is the fact that Israel just destroyed a CHRISTIAN, ANTI-HEZBOLLAH TV transmitter in an air strike. Very, very suspicious. What is Israel trying to cover up, another repeat of the Qana massacre?
Yeah your posts are just too intelligent... just a little thing for you to note. Youve barely been out of your mommys womb, you know little to nothing of the real world as youve never worked a day in your life or stepped more than a few feet from your mommys house. Having no life experience and little education your opinions are invalid and not worthy of recognition unless your name is Dougie Howser.

I also enjoy the fact that you allready exalt China and *halarious* Australia? aha.. and the EU *more fun*
Firstly youre not a psychic theres no telling what will happen with China secondly if China EVER became more powerfull than the United States then they will be dominating and stealing whatever resources your country has.

Spark wrote:

Oh, so we measure power by the size of their army, now?
No its the effectiveness of the military not the size. As to "who cares" powerfull countries not dictated by 14 year old boys dreaming him and his country are relevant do. Go ask Lebanon and Iraq. Why would we be "falling back" to China ? Military power is a direct result of the strength of thier respective economy. So the who cares is every relevant power in the world which doesnt include countries like Canada and Austrailia.
I hate to break it to ya my ignorant friend to the south, but without us you'd be all out of fresh water and trees to make paper.  You'd be out of half your electricity from our dams, you'd lose the oil reserves you love to fund in alberta, you'd lose the second largest deposits of uranium and the worlds largers reserves of iron, nickel, tin etc.  And in case you didn't know this already your coutry would never have made it to where it is without us  so stfu please, your holier than thou attitude is unjustified and arrogant.  America would cry if we ignored nafta like you do and trade with China instead...
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6683|Canada

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

my only point was him alluding that austrailia was a burgeoning superpower.. which is honestly laughable

although i cant help but notice the amount of Canadian preteens on here bashing America i really dont stereotype an entire country
you've got a big mouth for someone who hides his identity and location
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6683|Canada

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

you should really go ahead and ban me cuz im not gona censor myself to pg

im not sure if its a language barrier were having here but callin what i just said a personal attack is way off base

saying canadien pretteens come on here bashing america is a simple observation. be real mr shuss did the EU comment offend you or something ? germans are at the top of my euro list right next to the dutch.

commence with the banning
no it's a stupid barrier.

CANADIAN, you loser.

You might be surprised by all the things Canadians have done for America and American goods by using Canadian ideas

Last edited by Spumantiii (2006-07-27 08:08:34)

alpinestar
+304|6597|New York City baby.
Im not french, I have 2 citizenships one of them beeing american and I do travel around the world but my home is in NY. (for the guy who said im from france)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard