ATG
Banned
+5,233|6549|Global Command
The Iranian nuclear program.

The other day my wife asked me, " So what are they fighting about?"  refering of course to Israels two front war.  " How much time do you have? " I replied and when she scowled at me I just shrugged and said,
" The Iranian nuclear program. "

2-3 weeks ago what was everybody squawking about? The Iranian nuclear program. Kim Jong Il and his missle launches on the 4th of July. The fact that Iran was being referred to the U.N. for punative action, which would mean a harshly worded letter of condemnation and perhaps a resolution, or some sanctions.
     Even these forums are focused on the Israel conflict.
     And the Mullahs in Iran are busy preparring nuclear devices to use as soon as they are ready.
     Why would you not think they would? They've said time and time again that Israel will be wipped off the face of the planet.
     Did it ever occur to you that the Iranians are perfectly happy to have hundreds of dead civilains in Lebanon because it diverts attention away from their determination to acquire and use nuclear weapons?
     They are playing the world like a fiddle and preparring to blow the lid off the middle east and have the pot spill over with death and misery for everybody they can who doesn't agree with their twisted ideology.
     I just wanted to refocus the debate on the coming storm.
https://i7.tinypic.com/20zuwqr.jpg
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6756|Salt Lake City

I don't know that Iran would use nukes against Israel.  Lets face it, they know that the US and Eruope wouldn't just throw sanctions at that.  That country would be completely destroyed, down to every last man, woman, and child, if they pulled the nuke card.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6710|Tampa Bay Florida
They're not as stupid as everyone thinks.  They know sending a nuke to Israel would be complete destruction for them and most other countries in the area.
ATG
Banned
The Mullahs and certain extreme Christian and Jewish elements see an apocalyptic  confrontation as just well and good. Part of Revelations.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6664

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I don't know that Iran would use nukes against Israel.  Lets face it, they know that the US and Eruope wouldn't just throw sanctions at that.  That country would be completely destroyed, down to every last man, woman, and child, if they pulled the nuke card.
religious fundamentalist dont give a damn about this life on earth.  on point yerded.
ATG
Banned
Thats why we MUST stop them before they have nukes.
After this is over, I think the world needs to take a good look at the acceptable tools of war.
I'm willing for us to not have them. Is the world going to listen? No.
Rivers of blood are going to flow, I'm afraid.
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6686|United States
I think all this hype about Iranian nukes is the same kind of baseless scaremongering that the US and Israel pulled with Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the Iraq invasion, and look how that has turned out.

There are a lot of strategic reasons why we (and every empire before us) have meddled in middle-eastern affairs, it's just easier to rally public support for war when the public is scared into believing it's all for the sake of defense.

Anyway, I think the notion that Iran would nuke Israel or the U.S. is just plain silly.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6664

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

I think all this hype about Iranian nukes is the same kind of baseless scaremongering that the US and Israel pulled with Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the Iraq invasion, and look how that has turned out.

There are a lot of strategic reasons why we (and every empire before us) have meddled in middle-eastern affairs, it's just easier to rally public support for war when the public is scared into believing it's all for the sake of defense.

Anyway, I think the notion that Iran would nuke Israel or the U.S. is just plain silly.
this aint recent hype.  saddam hussein kept Iran in check for all the years he was running the show.  we've been maddogging it with Iran since 1979.  its a pretty widely known fact in country that Irananian "volunteers"  were behind a large amount of violence in Iraq, but its a smaller known fact that the Iranian govt allegdly had a more than substantial role in support of the september 11th hi-jackers.  if that information was truly brought to light, everybody would be screaming for war.  these arent state secrets mind you.  these are allegations carrying a huge amount of evidence with them.  nothing I could grab from the internet and post a link to...
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6756|Salt Lake City

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

The difference here is that it isn't just shaky intelligence saying they have a nuclear program, we know they do.  Even as skeptical as I am about Iraq's WMD capability, I have no doubt that Iran has been working on a nuclear program.

I would prefer that they don't have them, but if they go ahead with it anyway, I still doubt they would use them against Israel.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6547|Portland, OR USA
I think the chaos elsewhere in the globe is doing an excellent job of diverting the attention away from Iran ... and North Korea for that matter.  That being said, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about legislating nuclear programs in other nations.  As the only nation to ever implement nuclear weapons, we have a rather weak platform from which to launch a "no nukes" campaign.

That being said, I fully support their previous use and feel it was the right decision - attack with overwhelming force to break the will of the enemy to fight.  Furthermore I feel lives were spared on both sides.  We warned civilians to get out of town long before the attacks anyway, but I digress.

The fact that we have used nuclear ordinance in war also puts us in a unique, "Don't mess up like we did" role that you see many reformed drug adddicts playing out today.  While I shudder to think of the ramifications of nuclear weapons in the hands of anyone in the middle east, I am sure an equal number are terrified that the most powerful nuclear weapons are in the hands of us in the US.

I believe Iran has stated on many occasions that they only want nuclear power, not nuclear weapons.  A dubious claim I realize, but as I believe that nuclear power is absolutely the most intelligent choice of power for our world at present, I see no pressing reason to prohibit them from persuing nuclear energy.

I think our best bet is to develop effective means to neutralize nuclear attacks rather than to prevent the technology from being developed.  To try and prevent the development of the technology is ultimately an excercise in futility.

At the end of the day, we can not control the actions of other nations.  We can control our level of preparedness for those actions.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

PuckMercury wrote:

I think the chaos elsewhere in the globe is doing an excellent job of diverting the attention away from Iran ... and North Korea for that matter.
Yeah - why have North Korea dropped off the radar? They're a damn sight closer to USA too...
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6569|Southeastern USA
I still seee Kim in the news everyday, on a more domestic front, there has been another defeat for the boxers and feinsteins as a bill allowing government confiscation of legally owned firearms during states of emergency (if you don't need your gun then, when do you?) was soundly defeated, John Kerry, btw, voted for it before voting against it, at least he's consistent in his inconsistency
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6570|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
I think the OP is confusing reality with what comes out of his government's mouth......
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I think the OP is confusing reality with what comes out of his government's mouth......
have you even read any of his posts?  Or this post for that matter.  If that were the case, this thread would never have been started as he would be glued to the middle east.  Try again.
Sea_JayUK
+19|6543|Notts
At the end of the day Iran is scared... and lets face it, America IS attacking countrys around it!!! America is not being attacked by anyone (9/11, but not actually attacked by a country) as such Iran needs somthing to prevent America attacking it, the only thing it can do is get a hold of Nuclear weapons. Literally the ONLY weapon that is powerful enough to be a deterrent, even to America.

hence why Americas trying SO hard to stop Iran having Nuclear capability, America has them, why shouldnt Iran? Because it will attack sombody?!?!? *coughs* - Afghanistan, Iraq.... Iran?-
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6649|Mexifornia, USA
The way everyone's making this sound is like we have forgotten about Iran and North Korea. Truth is we have a very good watch on both of them. It's just the media is covering the things that are happening now, like the Israel/Lebanon thing. Since that actually involves fighting, it seems to the media that it could escalate into something bigger, while they're filming. Plus, they have an much easier time gaining access to Israel and Lebanon, as opposed to N. Korea or Iran. There is still (at least) one U.S. battleship positioned off the coast of N. Korea, ready to shoot down any more missles that are being "tested".

Oh, and Sea_JayUK, the justification of the U.S. not wanting Iran to have nuclear capabilities while we have hundreds of them, is that our leaders goal is not to wipe an entire country off the map. And if Iran goes nuclear, I don't have a doubt in my mind that they'd use them against Israel. After all, a few well placed nukes would do the job when your objective is to wipe a country off the map. But what a lot of people think is that if, for example, the U.S. nuked Iraq. One nuke would most definitly NOT destroy the entire country. It would take many more to do that. A country like Israel would require less, but still quite a few. Even the radiation most likely wouldn't be spread throughout the entire country. Some might, but a lot of it would be difused into the air and would probably not kill the exposed people; maybe in the future their kids would be deformed by it or they would become sterile (among other things), but it would not, unless some extreme and rare circumstances happen to occur, kill the entire population with one nuke.

Last edited by Jibbles (2006-07-25 13:48:33)

mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6736|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Assuming you were talking about a country being led by rational leaders that would be true.  However, leaders of Iran have expressed the idea that they don't care if their country and everyone in it is wiped off the map and turned into a glowing glass parking lot so long as Israel is destroyed.
Sea_JayUK
+19|6543|Notts

mcgid1 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Assuming you were talking about a country being led by rational leaders that would be true.  However, leaders of Iran have expressed the idea that they don't care if their country and everyone in it is wiped off the map and turned into a glowing glass parking lot so long as Israel is destroyed.
Dont be an idiot.

You've been given that impression, it's rubbish.

Last edited by Sea_JayUK (2006-07-25 13:40:08)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6617|Seattle

Sea_JayUK wrote:

At the end of the day Iran is scared... and lets face it, America IS attacking countrys around it!!! America is not being attacked by anyone (9/11, but not actually attacked by a country) as such Iran needs somthing to prevent America attacking it, the only thing it can do is get a hold of Nuclear weapons. Literally the ONLY weapon that is powerful enough to be a deterrent, even to America.

hence why Americas trying SO hard to stop Iran having Nuclear capability, America has them, why shouldnt Iran? Because it will attack sombody?!?!? *coughs* - Afghanistan, Iraq.... Iran?-
We didn't use nukes. They will.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Sea_JayUK
+19|6543|Notts

King_County_Downy wrote:

Sea_JayUK wrote:

Who says they will?

(Americas the only country who's EVER used a Nuke in combat.)
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Sea_JayUK wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Sea_JayUK wrote:

Who says they will?

who says we haven't?
Sea_JayUK
+19|6543|Notts

PuckMercury wrote:

Sea_JayUK wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Who says they will?

who says we haven't?
Havent in these conflicts? Hmmm, ok, lets look at this differently. Why does America have so MANY nuclear weapons? (Not a trick question) Because they are a deterrent! Iran is a country, not an insane person no matter how much propoganda is going to be thrown at you. Iran needs a deterrent to stop America attacking it.
ATG
Banned
Nukes will not do that job I'm afraid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

PuckMercury wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

have you even read any of his posts?  Or this post for that matter.  If that were the case, this thread would never have been started as he would be glued to the middle east.  Try again.
Who the hell is OP?
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
nukes as a deterrant is flawed logic.  The best way to assure they aren't used is to not posess them.  That's like giving everyone a bazooka and sitting back and saying, "There.  Everyone's safe.  No one would dare shoot their bazooka becuase they might get blown to hell too."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard