Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6816
I feel the sniper unlock never should have been the M95. Everyone seems to want this rifle in the game to be similiar to what it is in the real world, which would make it way, way too powerful. If they made it accurate to real life, no one in the game would ever get into a ground vehicle, or a chopper, and everyone would take snipers.
I think they should have chosen a different rifle as the upgrade. Something that doesnt do any more damage than the USMC standard rifle, but just has farther zoom and better accuracy.

I guess they used the M95 model to explain being able to shoot through chopper cockpits.

Anyone else feel this way?
KnifeWhore
+1|6749|USA
yo the m95 was my first unlock and yes it does about same amout of damage but u do get the ability to shoot threw glass no i find that to be a big improvement and it does more damage to vehicals i think it was like 2 clips with take down a jet ... like that will ever help but i was and still am happy with the 50. caliber monster

Last edited by KnifeWhore (2005-11-01 09:36:29)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6754|Brixham, UK
They should have made the M24 have the properties of the current M95 (minus glass pentration), and the M95 the properties of the current M24 (plus glass penetration).

Just my opinon, though.

Last edited by DUFFKING (2005-11-01 11:07:16)

Dizazter
+0|6816

DUFFKING wrote:

They should have made the M24 have the properties of the current M95 (minus glass pentration), and the M95 the properties of the current M24 (plus glass penetration).

Just my opinon, though.
I agree, although they shouldnt have called it the "M95" they should have gave the unlock a different name, cause everyone has these expectations that an M95 should be able to shoot through anything.
pinky_81
+1|6785|Denmark
Well... I just think the m24 is too powerfull
FLaXCarnage
+1|6782|Florida
In my opinion i think they should just make the usmc sniper weaker and less accurate.
ayb
+0|6751|Orlando, FL
the only advantage it has over the m24 is glass penetration, which honestly comes up almost never. in all my time of playing sniper i have only once sniped someone out of a helicopter, and that was some noob that landed a bh at a flag and just sat in the pilot seat. the m24 and the m95 do the same damage per shot, and the m24 is more accurate. not to mention that the m95 is louder and the sight picture in the scope is too cluttered. i only use the m95 when i'm on chinese or mec, the toys they get barely even pass as sniper rifles.

http://ubar.bf2s.com/kits.php#sniper
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6774
I actually don't mind it how it is.  Seems fair - I mean you don't need an all-inclusive sniper rifle that's the ultimate weapon.  The reason they made it the M95 is to make it bolt-action - it is too strong for semi-auto (which the M82 is).

It's fair to me.  Keeps strategy alive in choosing your gun, instead of just switching it from the start of the game like you would the DAO-12.

This gun to snipers is like the G3 to assault - sure, its a good gun when used properly, but you're going to have to make some sacrifices to use it.
Dizazter
+0|6816
I think you guys are missing the meaning of what I made this post about.

I am not talking about the properties or stats of the sniper rifles being good or bad.

I'm saying they should have never called the unlockable sniper rifle an "M95" because people have a preconcieved idea of its real life properties of being able to penetrate vehicle armor and rip people to shreds with one shot. In the game it will never do these things, so why call it something it is not?
NATRONIS
+0|6755
a tank shell should rip through a helicopter with one hit, yet it never does unless that helicopter is half wrecked. a helicopter rocket should have a wider blast radius than it does for infantry, but im glad that it doesnt. its the same with the m95, its not as powerful as its real counterpart. these weapons are not exact replicas, but it doesnt really bother me. if players are going to be stupid enough to think that the m95 reacts exactly like it should, then let them waste their unlock. when i unlocked it, i was a bit dissappointed, but with experience i learned to love this gun. shooting through armored glass is a huge benefit. i rarely get a shot on a heli pilot, but i nail those humvee drivers all the time. ive also shot through wooden objects also. long story short; not realistic, but still very powerful.
https://bf2s.com/player/36150622/sig5.pnghttps://bf2s.com/player/36150622/sig3.pnghttps://bf2s.com/player/36150622/awards.jpg
ayb
+0|6751|Orlando, FL
all bullets will go through wood, with varying success. i love when i'm in a truck and i switch to the mg to shoot infantry. people will instinctively run behind a fence for cover, so i spray liberally hoping to get lucky. that gets me called a hacker so often i can't even being to count. but i see your point. there have been two or three times when i had the m24 that i was presented with a honey shoot that made me wish i HAD switched to the m95 before spawning. hindsight is always 20/20 i suppose.

Last edited by ayb (2005-11-03 12:47:10)

KnifeWhore
+1|6749|USA
one time i was sniping with the m95 it was my first unlock before the patch came out any ways i was just about to shoot a dude with it when he disided to run behind a fence i said fu(k it and shot at the fence and what do you know i got really lucky and got a head shot. if i had the m24 that wouldnt have happened plus i love just camping at an enemy base and every time some one tries to get a helo or jet i take them out of it its really funny.
Vicious
+0|6766
The barret was a terrible choice to make as unlock weapon.

Better would have been:

PGM Mini-Hecate: French sniper rifle, designed for 500-1200m operation, extremely accurate and deadly

MSG 90: Military version of the PSG 1, think Type 88 only with close to M82 accuracy, and increased damage over dragunov/type 88
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6748|Toronto, ON
The M95 is fine and great for Chopper/Vehicle intensive maps. Otherwise, use M24 or SVD/98
Alpha as fuck.
twistedsphere
+0|6742
You know, I bitch and moan about how untrue the M95 is to its real-life counterpart, but I'd never thought of the game balance issue. If you've got a weapon that can shoot down anything in the air, put holes through low to medium armor, and tear troops in half... you'd have to give everyone else force fields, miniguns, phasers, and death rays just to keep things level. With that in mind, I would replace that unlock with simply a more advanced sniper rifle. An Accuracy International AWM in .308 magnum with a laser-rangefinder scope and bullet trajectory calculator. Maybe a Walther 2000 sniper rifle, I dunno. Something that stands out as being on the exotic side. I doubt I would've gone with the MSG90, as it uses the same caliber round as the SVD and that other Chinese rifle...
Vicious
+0|6766

twistedsphere wrote:

. I doubt I would've gone with the MSG90, as it uses the same caliber round as the SVD and that other Chinese rifle...
The SVD uses the 7.52x54 round dating back to the late 1890's(And the russian 7.52 IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT THE SAME SIZE AS NATO), the QBU-88(Type 88) uses a chinese  5.8x42 round, and has a relatively short overall length(relating to stability and accuracy), the MSG90A1 also has a matchgrade barrel and the opportunity to use much better ammo.

Along with a 20 round ammo box, all in all it's a vastly improved close to medium range sniper over all 4 current models in game

Tbh, on the whole the weapon choices in BF2 were dissapointing and derivative, while they could have had China field all it's own weapons(QBZ-95 for Medic &  Assault, Type 81LMG for support, CAR-95 for Spec Ops(The QBZ-97 is just the export version of the main assault rifle, chambered for 5.56 nato, it's not a carbine/compact) and MEC actually use the newer weapons coming out of russia(Ak101 is good, 107 is better, Ak104 for Spec Ops)

As for USMC, well HK416(and its derivatives yet to come) for Assault/medic/spec ops,  CheyTac Intervention for Sniper, Engineer gets USAS12 and Anti Tank gets MP7 PDW

I know it's asking for a lot, but I guess after having played rainbow six/rogue spear/raven shield/iron wrath, I'm spoiled when it comes to devs not taking the easy stereotypical way out.
Dizazter
+0|6816
Nice suggestions guys. I'm glad someone finally understood what I was saying.
Nazarak
+0|6741
the M95 riffle is the best sniper rifle ever you can shoot a camper from a great distance like 500 or 600m if you have set the sight to max in your video seting i remember one day i killed an entire squan which was camping on the working machine (i dont know the right word sorry) which was 450m from me it takes me 1 reload to kill them 5 (when i hitt them it was 1 hit 1 shot but i m not a pro in sniping) whatever if you know that the m95 have the bullet drob you realize that is acurate 100%

i will say the gratest ever if you know how to use it....

sorry for bad english
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6839|Bryan/College Station, TX

Nazarak wrote:

the M95 riffle is the best sniper rifle ever you can shoot a camper from a great distance like 500 or 600m if you have set the sight to max in your video seting
Set the sight to max in your video settings?
Um.. What is he talking about? I don't remember this setting.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Maj.Do
+85|6748|good old CA
the m95 isnt a waste its a great gun for the chinese and mec forces.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6751|NH - USA
I dont know the real life M95 from the video game one - I've never shot one and I probably never will. For video game purposes I think its great and I enjoy using it for the most part.
:]-[: El_Shiznit
+3|6745|Florida
It was a mistake because everyone plays sniper now.
SniperHutch
+0|6740
Um well I think that the M95 is an ok weapon. It's only advantages is the glass penetration really in play terms. This feature I have used three times with spectacular effect. One time i shot a guy in a black hawk and laughed as the helicopter span out of control because he was turning as he died. As for switching between sniper rifles. The chinese one sucks and has no power at all and the MEC one is ok. The USMC primary one is the only one that comes close but I stick with the M95 in hope of those great moments.
Oh and By the way my name is SniperHutch but I actually have the prefix of Anti. I like killing off the N00b snipers in humiliating ways. My favorite is knifing them or sniping them with the special forces unlock. Humiliation is the word.They cant even see you and shuffle about as if they got shot. LOL!
bgthigfist
+0|6801

:]-[: El_Shiznit wrote:

It was a mistake because everyone plays sniper now.
Dude, what server do you play on????    I remember the 'team of a thousand snipers' problem in '42, but haven't encountered it yet in BF2.  I usually only see a couple of snipers per map.  Heck, the othernight, some guy sniped me and I saw him run 'round a corner afterwards.  I respawned as anti-tank, crawled up an ajoining building, and rammed a SRAW through his torso.  Sweet Revenge.

I have been collecting the unlocks, and wish the sniper unlock was at least somewhat more powerful than the other sniper guns in the game.  I play with it because I hate the Mec and Chinese sniper rifles, and becasuse I was in perfect position on Wake Island on at least 2 occasions to take down an attack chopper.  Put rounds 'on the glass' with my Marine Sniper rifle as they hovered to take me out.  I live for that chance to reoccur......
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6759

kilroy0097 wrote:

Nazarak wrote:

the M95 riffle is the best sniper rifle ever you can shoot a camper from a great distance like 500 or 600m if you have set the sight to max in your video seting
Set the sight to max in your video settings?
Um.. What is he talking about? I don't remember this setting.
I'm not sure, but I think he's referring to view distance set to 100%. Which I think most everyone with a decent video card does.

And I've been thinking, I know we all think this gun is really powerful and such, but I really don't think it would be that easy to take out choppers and tanks in real life by simply wielding an M95. Now I'm no weapons buff, but I did fire an M95 once and that thing was a bitch to handle. It was loud as heck too, much louder that the game makes it seem. I don't think it would be my weapon of choice if I had to go take out infantry, and that really is our main objective.

I think the main purpose of a .50 cal rifle is to take out armored vehicles. This is it's primary aplication in the field of battle (if i'm not mistaken of course, feel free to diss me and flame me if I am wrong). If you read about .50 cal rifle ammo, http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/fas/ you'll see that there is actually a good variety of bullets that you can use, but for true armor desotrying properties, you'd definatelly need some incendiary rounds. I think in the game, we get regular old armor piercing bullets, which should aid in the overall balance of the game. I would love it if we could chose our ammunition... those armor-piercing, incendiary tracer rounds would look so sweet.

Overall, I love the USA M24/M95 combo we've got going on. The M24's scope, along with it's percieved better accuracy make it the best sniper rifle against infantry. When vehicles come into play, the M95 rules your socks off because if you use it right, it can be a deterrent for any chopper or light vehicle that comes your way. I've shot many people out of their vehicles by correctly timing a bullet at the main window. I've also taken out many enemies in the turret of a vehicle with this puppy.

And as for choppers, while you think that nothign will happen if you shoot at them, think again. A good solid shot to the underbody or to the cockpit (haha i said cock) will do some minimal yet important damage. It's enough to make the chopper make it a priority to find out what is damaging it, ignoring your teammates while they cap a flag or something. Two shots to the glass/underbody will take out a smoking chopper, almost guaranteed. And as a reward for your efforts, you may even shoot out a pilot every once in a while which makes the gun that much sweeter. Just keep shooting at that chopper.

No comment on the MEC/PLA sniper combos... seriously. M95 makes it a little bit better, but those semi-auto toys are a joke.

So in conclusion, the gun is fine, I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the scope and the ammo that the game got wrong.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard