Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6647
They just announced it officially a few mins ago... wonder what it will change but many analysts fear that the aquisition is a bit too epensive for AMD (considering the fact that they already planned to invest billions in a new factory).

but it will  certainly mix up the industry

what do you folks think about it?
oberst_enzian
+234|6742|melb.au
link pls
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6631|Finland

oberst_enzian wrote:

link pls
I need around tree fiddy.
gazzie
Pulls out gun, Watch him run
+39|6721|England

DonFck wrote:

oberst_enzian wrote:

link pls
oberst_enzian
+234|6742|melb.au
well, i found this, but it looks like not much has circulated yet

http://www.duggmirror.com/hardware/AMD_Buys_ATI/
Eboreus
+46|6647
http://online.wsj.com/public/us

or the reuters release:

AMD agrees to buy ATI for about $5.4 billion
146 Wörter
24 Juli 2006
09:52
Reuters News
Englisch
(c) 2006 Reuters Limited
NEW YORK, July 24 (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc., the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, said on Monday it would acquire graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.4 billion in cash and stock to expand its product mix and grow market share as it battles Intel Corp..

Under terms of the deal, AMD will acquire all of the outstanding common shares of ATI for $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock, based on the number of shares of ATI common stock outstanding on July 21.

Talk of a tie-up between the two companies first emerged in May, but many industry analysts have said it made little financial or strategic sense for AMD to buy ATI outright.

TECH-ATI (URGENT)|LANGEN|ABX|BNX|FUN

Dokument LBA0000020060724e27o000lz
Eboreus
+46|6647
the reason why there is not too much information atm is that the press conference is still running - hence almost no articles written yet
Rosse_modest
+76|6775|Antwerp, Flanders
Oh noes.
MECtallica
+73|6503|jalalabad
soooooo what does this mean? will ATI suck even more ?
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6674|Moscow, Russia
For me ATi > nVidia and AMD > Intel, so it should be good.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6770|AUS, Canberra
i saw something in the news today that said amd was cutting prices by 47 percent
MECtallica
+73|6503|jalalabad
AMD is cutting prices up to 50+% off some processors, an AMD 64 X2 5000 will only cost like 300$, its crazy, but still FX62 and stuff is still 800 something dollars. Check tomshardware, has some charts.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6522|Little blue planet, milky way
What it will mean is that AMD is attempting to make a vertical move throughout the PC hardware industry. While this will mean they get a chance to sit on a larger part of the hardware market, it will ALSO mean that financially they will be deeply commited and unable to withdraw from any large scale economical crisis that will affect the hardware market in general (ie: you can ALWAYS buy another brand of GPU, but there's not that many CPU producers on the market). This problem will be even worse seeing as how they're already financially streched, and planning further expansion.
Fortunately they have a decent monetary backing by Intel, so I doubt they'll take a huge dive from all of this.

On the "futures" market, they'll probably try to take over the integrated market, and a larger share of the laptops, seeing as how laptops are seen as the "future" of private computing. Having the ability to control both CPU, GPU and motherboard production will ensure that they provide the fastest, cheapest and best supported (functional integration) hardware. Thus allowing them a huge market share.
Expect to see ati chips on ALL laptops running an AMD processor within the next year or so.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard