Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6733|Canada Eh?

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Vampira_NB wrote:

Darth_Fleder wrote:

So now we are equating unborn human life down to the level of food?
I have to agree with pinto, he wasn't comparing an unborn human to food, he was just specifying that we bassically grow animals  and kill them so we can eat, In that cow's mind he's much more important than that of a child, yet in our minds the cow is food and nothing else, How does that justify killing the cow?

I ain't a fucking vegan, I love steak, ribs and chicken with a passion, I'm just attempting to make a point.
Vampira, what exactly is the point of that line of reasoning?
I can't remember, I had been awake for 30 hours when wrote that.
Reciprocity
+721|6640|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Darth_Fleder wrote:

If the accusation is made that holding certain Judeo-Christian beliefs that oppose the killing of the unborn and/or using them as research material indicts one in some way, it is a sad testimony to the state of our society. I don't want to get drawn into a theological debate, but one of the founding tenets of our nation was the toleration for holding religious views. That belief is going by the wayside as the so-called 'enlightened' atheists are now trying to foist their views on others.

Now let's please get back to the topic at hand. Further posts that derail the thread will be deleted.

Pinto wrote:

By your logic, how do you eat?  Plants and animals are alive and grown for our consumption.
So now we are equating unborn human life down to the level of food?
I'll do one better, those "unborn human" lives aren't even food, THEY'RE GARBAGE,  THEY'RE TRASH.  the lives we are talking about are from fertility clinics, not stem cell farms, or ranches or factories.  this garbage is the byproduct of creating real life for people who could otherwise not.   

and as far as your history lesson on the founding of this country, you are wrong.  One of the founding principals of our nation was not toleration for holding religious views, it was the toleration for holding any view.  I may be just another "enlightened" athiest, shoving my views down your Judeo-christian throat.  but that's only because for the past, oh, forever, its been the other way around.  My moral values are based upon common sense and don't require a crutch like religion.   and yes, i believe in science, that's "satan" for all you Judeo-christians.  I know you Judeo-christians think you're beyond criticism but in the 21st century we have this thing called science.  it cures diseases, makes sense of natural phenomenon, usually makes life a little easier for people, much like your prayer, only more effective.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6609|Southeastern USA

kilroy0097 wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

I did read the bill a few weeks ago, haven't read it since it was no doubt modified at the house and senate levels as always, but these modifications almost always happens in regards to the $$$ aspect of it, I am aware of the different types of stem cell research, as I have been following it as a matter of curiosity for years, the fact that your post is longer and is written with a condescending attitude does not make you correct, the fact remains that, until you can prove that a fertilized embryo is not a human, then we should err on the side of not killing humans for research purposes.
Do not mistake an informed and detailed post explaining stem cells to the masses as condescending and I will not mistake your misconception as you being an ass. Deal?
I am an ass, thank you, and now explain how this cannot be taken as condescending:

"This is a long read but I urge you to get through it if you can. This is after all the Serious Debate and Discussion section."
or
"No. We can't and you need to try harder than that."

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-20 21:12:52)

kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6903|Bryan/College Station, TX

kr@cker wrote:

kilroy0097 wrote:

Do not mistake an informed and detailed post explaining stem cells to the masses as condescending and I will not mistake your misconception as you being an ass. Deal?
I am an ass, thank you, and now explain how this cannot be taken as condescending:

"This is a long read but I urge you to get through it if you can. This is after all the Serious Debate and Discussion section."
or
"No. We can't and you need to try harder than that."
So the want to maintain the integrity of this section and the desire to not have to sift through idiotic one liners from people who feel they have to put their penny into the conversation regardless if they know what it's about is considered condenscending?  As for your second comment, one snarky comment deserves another. You fired across the bow of the thread stating it's entire basis was based upon crude false statements. An assumption of the highest order and one that belittles my own integridy. I merely answered with my own shot. Does this make me as bad as you? Probably.

I have yet to see a detailed and honestly researched retort from you that isn't purely opinion based from whatever background you may come from. I implore you to make an educational contribution to this debate.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
First off let me thank those that have honestly put effort into their replies in this thread. Esspecially to those that obviously did research to support your points. I am enjoying this discussion on this, in my opinion, important topic. I ask that those that reply do so with a neutral mindset and please keep the discussion to a low roar emotionally. Thank you.

To those that support this Veto, from what I have read the number one reason is due to your collective stances against abortion. Though what level or state of abortions you abhor I am not familiar with nor am I familiar with your backgrounds or all your view points. So to clear the air for those that care I am going to state my own viewpoints just so it's all out in the open.

---

I myself am Pro-Choice merely because that avenue of support offers the most leaway in the laws for what kind of abortion can be legalized. Pro-lifers (most not all) tend to wish that abortion in all states be outlawed and I am emphatically against such a shortsighted or myopic mindset. Do I view that human life begins at conception? No I do not. I believe personally that human life "might" begin at the second trimester as some babies have been prematurely born and survived at the end of it all though often surrounding massive complications and often result in death.

I however do not believe in wholesale legalization of abortion as a method of birth control. I personally believe in abortion in the following extreme situations. Preganancies resulting from rape, incest and in the cases of extreme underage mothers (14 years or below). Also with preganancies that would endanger the mother's life or when the child is so malformed that it would not be able to live outside the mother's womb at all or with the help of major medication intervention for most of their childhood.

I also strongly support the usage of birth control and I dislike any legislation that would attempt to prevent the usage of birth control by anyone (See http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/14/ … tion.bill/). I personally believe that birth control should be federally subsidized and that it should cost next to nothing and preferably be free to all registered women who wish to take advantage of such a program. I believe that these women should also receive a free yearly OBGYN visit in a certain age bracket.

---

Due to these viewpoints of my own I believe that embryonic research is not immoral and should not be condemned. I also believe that this research may lead to new discoveries that would connect these type of stem cells to the many other types of stem cells. Once that link has been established it may be unnecssary to ever use embryonic stem cells and hence the need for them would diminish.

For those that value life so much that they are against abortion and hence are against the use of embryos in research should then also be against any use of embryos including fertilizational methods of intravenous pregnancy. As previously state by others and as stated by the procedures of this process more than a single embryo is actually fertilized. Many eggs are collected from the woman and placed in stasis. Sperm from the man is then injected directly into the embryos. Sometimes this produces a fertalized egg and hence it becomes an embryo. Other times it doesn't produce anything and is rejected. Of the bank of fertalized eggs they are inserted into the woman while she takes horomonal medication to better the chances of it taking. This often results in twins or more. Once the woman is pregnant the rest of the bank of embryos are placed into stasis for a certain amount of time before they are..   Discarded. Thrown away. Taken to the Bio-trash bin. Removed from existance. Destroyed. Killed.

It is this bank of slated embryos that the bill was to save from destruction so that they could be used for embryonic stem cell research. This trash was to be recycled for the betterment of humanity.

For those that are against this bill... please think hard on this one.

Would you want a life destroyed offering it no reason for existance?
-or-
Would you want a life destroyed for research to pottentially cure illnessess and save the life of others?

There are only two choices in this. The wording of the Bill is implicet. There is no room for misconception. Reality is not going to change. Embryos will be destroyed and killed regardless of your decision.

I personally would want such a fate to help people and not be wasted. Hence my support of Bill H.R. 810 and why I am angered by the President and his Veto of it.

On another note, Congress passed this Bill. Congress represents the people. The people, through our government process supported this bill. The President, an elected official by the people as vetoed a bill supported by the people. A blatant case of personal prejiduce versus the views and wishes of Congress and hence the people.

I do not support the President for he does not represent my wishes nor the wishes of the people.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
HM1{N}
+86|6704|East Coast via Los Angeles, CA

-=NHB=- Bananahands wrote:

{DsM}SongofWar[BoC] wrote:

Okay, lets see......stem cells may technically be alive, but its not like I am killing a 4 year old child to do this.

Would any one of you be opposed to the "expenditure" of a few non self aware organisms who feel no pain or anything like that, if it saved your life of the life of a family member?
Im against this for similar reasons that I am against abortion. Its creating life just to kill it. There are other ways to get stem cells than this and I am fully in support of that.
So I guess you are against organ donors also?
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
oh for fuck's sake, my statement was in regards to the fact that most of the posts on this thread were along the lines of "bush hates all stem cells it's his fault hawking is still in a wheelchair", this is blatantly untrue, again I point out that the bush administration, at least as of 2004, since i cannot find any current info on this (all my search results only pull up the current bill since it's now big news), has funded more stem cell research than any other world administration, as for the fertility clinic example, I don't think that it's any more justified to use these failed embryos (they are usually still around in the first place because they were the least likely of the batch to "take", and are discarded in turn because they have aged too far and cellular degeneration has taken place), than it is to harvest organs from dead/dying people that have not agreed to do so, if bob has a lovely liver, and bob is not an organ donor, how is it justifiable to take bob's liver "for the greater good of humanity", the cellular degeneration of these failed embryos (common procedure is to re-introduce EVERY embryo with a snowballs chance in hell to the uterus, this is why many fertility clinic patients end up with multiple births) combined with the fact that they were the least likely to sustain cell division in essence makes them "dead" or the equivalent of a baby born with an unsustainable birth defect, you are basically wanting to harvest dead people's organs without their permission for a technology that has not shown that it can provide us with anything that the dozens of other stem cell research techs can't. The embryos are in essence "dead", in order to use them for research one must kickstart the life cycle, until you can prove they're not human let the dead rest in peace.

and yes, my first posts were researched, using my "opposition's" own material, it is possible to prove one's point in less than a paragraph, you yourself actually provided some of the research I was going to post by listing the different kinds of stem cells being researched, but since I have dial-up at work, you finished before I could get home and do it, Thanks!

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-21 06:54:32)

captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635

PekkaA wrote:

Captain_pubic_louse_pants, was that from Conan O'Brien? Pretty funny, but what has it to do with anything?

e.grammar
Sorry tiny Pekkaa, its from Monty Python. I guess you dont get that in Finland. I was just trying to spread some much needed humor in a very heated debate. Guess you couldnt see that.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635

Anfidurl wrote:

captain_itchy_pants wrote:

Agreed. Maybe we should wait till Hillary is in, huh? No F@#king way, that crazy Bit$h would have the flood gates open to abortion clinics where its abortion on demand. Screw that. Why did Bush use his veto and his only veto in his presidency? To save lives, embryos and taxpayers money from fruitless searches.
What? You open yourself up for ANOTHER one?

Okay. In a year, the human body sloughs off enough cells to make 100 fully devoloped, adult people.
The energy to create new cells comes from life, as previously posted.
So it's okay to sit around and ejaculate yourself at night (assuming you are male. If female, substute flushing an egg down your drain along with several mL of blood and iron) and waste all those lives' potential?
Just think, instead of involintarly MURDERING three billion 'lives' every so many nights, you could overrun the world with more creatures than there is food to feed them!

To hell with any other problem, like HUNGER, CRIME, SUFFERING, and PAIN! Let's regulate the killing of cells, when we ALL DO MUCH MUCH MORE OURSELVES, AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT!

Congratulations. You have been proven to be a self-imposed, involuntary hypocrite. Good day.
How am I a hypocrite? You are talking about dead skin cells! WTFrell!  I am talking about Bush not spending taxpayer money on testing that doesnt work. And the fact that Hellary Clinton would have signed this into law and wasted all that money on fruitless research.
PekkaA
+36|6724|Finland

PekkaA wrote:

Captain_pubic_louse_pants, was that from Conan O'Brien? Pretty funny, but what has it to do with anything?

e.grammar
Sorry tiny Pekkaa, its from Monty Python. I guess you dont get that in Finland. I was just trying to spread some much needed humor in a very heated debate. Guess you couldnt see that.
Aaa, we're obviously not speaking same language, are we? I said "pretty funny" and you say I don't see humor in it. But I find humor more amusing if it has something to do with original subject.

And oh yes we actually see western programs here, can you imagine? But I watched my pythons over a decade ago so forgive my ignorance. But it's still fun to see John Cleese doing his job. Just watched "Scorched" recently, and Woody and John almost killed me.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635
JUst having fun at Finlands expense, guess thats all. Cleese is a true comic genius as well as the other python members, but he was the best. Anyway, have a great day.
Chuckles
+32|6607

How am I a hypocrite? You are talking about dead skin cells! WTFrell!  I am talking about Bush not spending taxpayer money on testing that doesnt work. And the fact that Hellary Clinton would have signed this into law and wasted all that money on fruitless research.
You're most certainly a hypocrite if you defend Bush not allowing a little government money to go to research that could potentially save lives but it's ok for him to spend billions and billions on a missile defense system that only works about half the time when we rig the tests for it, and when we really may have needed it a couple of weeks ago he has to admit that he had no idea if it would work or not. 

Defending an administration for saving a very little amount of money on a program like this when it's guilty of running up the largest deficits in our history seems a little silly.

And lastly, saving money had nothing to do with his decision.  Bush is perfectly willing to blow money, just not for stem cell research.  Or at least not on more stem cell research.  They already fund research on about 25 lines.  So it's fine to "kill" those embryos, but no new ones.

That, my friend, is hypocritical.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635

Chuckles wrote:

You're most certainly a hypocrite if you defend Bush not allowing a little government money to go to research that could potentially save lives but it's ok for him to spend billions and billions on a missile defense system that only works about half the time when we rig the tests for it, and when we really may have needed it a couple of weeks ago he has to admit that he had no idea if it would work or not. 

Defending an administration for saving a very little amount of money on a program like this when it's guilty of running up the largest deficits in our history seems a little silly.

And lastly, saving money had nothing to do with his decision.  Bush is perfectly willing to blow money, just not for stem cell research.  Or at least not on more stem cell research.  They already fund research on about 25 lines.  So it's fine to "kill" those embryos, but no new ones.

look at my earlier post, my friend. Embryonic stem cell research doesnt work. Not spending the money is just one reason, you are right, but the facts are that there is more promise from adult stem cell research.  Why are the big drug companies not funding it? Why should the governement fund it? The bush administration already spend more than Clinton ever did on stem cell research. Embryonic Stem cell research only leads to one thing and that is Cloning, IMHO.

C.I.P

Last edited by captain_itchy_pants (2006-07-21 11:29:06)

Chuckles
+32|6607

look at my earlier post, my friend. Embryonic stem cell research doesnt work. Not spending the money is just one reason, you are right, but the facts are that there is more promise from adult stem cell research.  Why are the big drug companies not funding it? Why should the governement fund it? The bush administration already spend more than Clinton ever did on stem cell research. Embryonic Stem cell research only leads to one thing and that is Cloning, IMHO.

C.I.P
You're wrong about adult stem cells having more potential then embryonic stem cells.  The National Institute of Health, an agency of your hero's government, agrees with me.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/StemCells/Temp … t#useadult

We can't say that embryonic stem cell research doesn't work because we've never gotten to really explore it.  The research has only been around since about 1998, and researchers hands have been tied the entire time.  They only have 22 lines that they can work on.  And you've never answered my question as to why it's ok to use those 22 lines, but no more?

And I believe that cloning humans is outlawed in this country, so there is no grounds to veto stem cell research based on those grounds.

And I still maintain that the thought of the US government "saving money" here is laughable.  Bush is blowing our future by the millions every day, this is a drop in the bucket.
PekkaA
+36|6724|Finland

Chuckles wrote:

And I still maintain that the thought of the US government "saving money" here is laughable.  Bush is blowing our future by the millions every day, this is a drop in the bucket.
You have to understand that those old men are too old to benefit from stem-cell research, therefore they couldn't care less. I'm talking about dubya & co.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635
How have their hands been tied? Bush hasnt banned it. He has in fact spent more money. (Over $90 million in Federal funding has been devoted to research on approved lines since 2001). Let the drug companies fund it, they are the ones who will make the money if it is to be made. But as of now they wont because they see it as a dead end.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6635
I agree that there is far to much spending in government. It pisses me off the the lowly GI and his family have to go on food stamps and live in assisted housing while the fat bastards live the life of luxury on capitol hill.
Chuckles
+32|6607

PekkaA wrote:

Chuckles wrote:

You have to understand that those old men are too old to benefit from stem-cell research, therefore they couldn't care less. I'm talking about dubya & co.
No, they're not, they could potentially have Alzheimer's some day.
PekkaA
+36|6724|Finland

How have their hands been tied? Bush hasnt banned it. He has in fact spent more money. (Over $90 million in Federal funding has been devoted to research on approved lines since 2001). Let the drug companies fund it, they are the ones who will make the money if it is to be made. But as of now they wont because they see it as a dead end.
IMHO that kind of thinking is pretty dangerous. You are offering power to companies. Actually it's what's going on in a world today. And sadly very few companies care too much about ethics as long as stocks are high.

Last edited by PekkaA (2006-07-21 13:56:32)

PekkaA
+36|6724|Finland

Chuckles wrote:

PekkaA wrote:

Chuckles wrote:

No, they're not, they could potentially have Alzheimer's some day.
One of them definetly already has it.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

kr@cker wrote:

oh for fuck's sake, my statement was in regards to the fact that most of the posts on this thread were along the lines of "bush hates all stem cells it's his fault hawking is still in a wheelchair", this is blatantly untrue, again I point out that the bush administration, at least as of 2004, since i cannot find any current info on this (all my search results only pull up the current bill since it's now big news), has funded more stem cell research than any other world administration, as for the fertility clinic example, I don't think that it's any more justified to use these failed embryos (they are usually still around in the first place because they were the least likely of the batch to "take", and are discarded in turn because they have aged too far and cellular degeneration has taken place), than it is to harvest organs from dead/dying people that have not agreed to do so, if bob has a lovely liver, and bob is not an organ donor, how is it justifiable to take bob's liver "for the greater good of humanity", the cellular degeneration of these failed embryos (common procedure is to re-introduce EVERY embryo with a snowballs chance in hell to the uterus, this is why many fertility clinic patients end up with multiple births) combined with the fact that they were the least likely to sustain cell division in essence makes them "dead" or the equivalent of a baby born with an unsustainable birth defect, you are basically wanting to harvest dead people's organs without their permission for a technology that has not shown that it can provide us with anything that the dozens of other stem cell research techs can't. The embryos are in essence "dead", in order to use them for research one must kickstart the life cycle, until you can prove they're not human let the dead rest in peace.
Just as modern medicine was learned from dead corpses and cadavers, just how elementary medicine and surgery was practiced first on dead human bodies instead of attempting it on live human bodies, just how every single surgeon in the country has used a cadaver to explore and practice on to better their skills.

As has been stated in a lengthy post above about my beliefs on the subject, I am more than willing to harvest embryos to further science if it gets us the links we need to better stem cell usages as a whole. If for some odd reason medicine thought that harvesting dead people's organs in the current day was necessary to cure some diesease then I'm in support of that as well.

We would not be at the point we are today in medicine if it weren't for those cadavers used oh so many years ago in the interest of medicine.

Edit: P.S. Woohoo. Almost my most popular thread yet. Karma luv!

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-07-21 14:05:34)

Chuckles
+32|6607

I agree that there is far to much spending in government. It pisses me off the the lowly GI and his family have to go on food stamps and live in assisted housing while the fat bastards live the life of luxury on capitol hill.
But this is my point.  $90,000,000 in five years is about what this government spends on toilet paper.  We spend $245,000,000 per day in Iraq.  Why not spend a little more on stem cells.  We can make it up by maybe not giving another huge tax cut to those making over $200,000.  OR instead of handing out huge tax breaks to drug companies, add a tax kicks in on sales from any technology found from stem cells.  That shouldn't be too hard.

I really, really, really, have a hard time believing any defender of Bush would actually talk about saving money.

Scientists hands have been tied by a lack of funding.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6839|Great Brown North
hmm ok so unless im missing something arent the stem cells just going to be destroyed? its not like theres evil monsters roaming the streets snatching children for evil research
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
and if you worked on those cadavers without their permission, you were promptly tossed into jail

Chuckles wrote:

by your logic there is even less reason to fund ESC research because it has yielded NO results, while the missile defense system has yielded some, defense tech is no different from any other tech in that it doesn't wake up one morning to find itself miraculously cheap and efficient, and NO technology has ever been developed without trial and error, had the Kerry's and Kennedy's of the world not whined about it in the 80's it probably would have worked a few weeks ago had we needed it.

and i really should apologize to all on these forums, I've just gotten jaded by all the whining and constant republican/american bashing on here and haven't seen much need to post anything other than a few colorful anecdotes here and there as most of these topics are incessantly repetitious, I can only post a fact so many times before I get sick of repeating myself, only to have it ignored and someone start a new thread on the same damn subject and start all over again. In my own defense on this thread my first few posts said all I needed to, and I have not seen anything new come up since that has not been addressed already so, yes, most of my posts here have been "one liners. I needs hepls, it seems da most i post, der stupider i are.

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-21 14:05:50)

Chuckles
+32|6607

kr@cker wrote:

The main reason that the Bush administration spent more on stem cell research is more a function of time than his big heart.  This field of study has only existed since '98, so Clinton only had the opportunity to fund it for two years.  Bush has been there for six terribly long years now, and has only funded it $90,000,000 according to another poster here.

And if I understand you correctly, it's ok to throw out unneeded embryos, but not do research on them?  Even if the embryo's "parents" have given their consent for research to be done on them?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard