LitterBox
+3|6710|The Land of Strippers and Blow
Put Zatar Wetlands on it and I'll be there every night I play!!!
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6648|Spokane, Washington

Sorry to hear about the server. Our server (Karkand 24/7 ]ESF[ Clan) always dies at around 3 in the morning pacific time and we do have problems starting it up. Face it, people are too lazy to start up servers but they will join one already going on. Once we get a ranked match going, our player number skyrockets from 10 to around 60. Quite surpising.
Example:
https://www.game-monitor.com/server-players.php?ip=72.232.1.20:16567&type=day&key=7875a30961367a90e8da81adbb8507d5&timezone=-7
The big drop in players is when it "dies" after the server does it's daily restart (the one that we do on purpose >_>) but ocne we get it started, It jumps back up to full. Ah well....ive wasted enough space with this post for one day .

Last edited by Unclean009 (2006-07-18 23:17:30)

HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6705|Germany
The secret why our server is running so well is based on two keywords :

Dedication and patience

In the beginning, we had like two or three guys on the server trying to start it up, and sometimes we were running around Karkand for like 1.5 hours before we got the game started.
And be nice to the people joining, ask them to stay for a while to get it started, and after a few weeks you should  get the thing running pretty well.
And yes, Karkand is definatley the map to start it up, no doubt about that.
Another secret : Do your admin job ! Hard but fair ! If people notice that the admins really do care for the rules, they are more willing to come back.

Edit : tips for warm up round on Karkand (before the actual game starts)

No Teamkilling (annoys the crap out of people)
No Tankwhoring
No arty
...just some good, old infantry bashing. Most people like that, most people stay.

Last edited by HellHead (2006-07-19 05:29:49)

Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6675|Broadlands, VA
Soooo.... getting back on topic.....

Chuy - the cool thing here is that you can try handing it over to admins, and if it doesn't work, canx it!  As for populating it - there aren't enough servers running EF & SF (IMHO - keep yer flames to yer self!).  Again - try some new things: Monday night is EF night, Wednesday is SF night, Friday is AF, the other nights are "Random Map" nights.

How do you pay for the rental?  Does simply cliking on the ads put simolians in your pocket?  If so, I'll click and idle on your server.

Maybe we can recruit Trig, Kimmy and East Coasties (like me) to get on a littler earlier to generate interest.
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6718|Indianapolis, IN
I agree with an above poster that you start as all karkand and slowly ween other maps into the rotation. 

I know, I play Karakand all the time but that is our clan server, but I like this phrase:

Friends don't let friends play Karkand.
[WRC]GeneralGun
+0|6489|Germany

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Chuy - the cool thing here is that you can try handing it over to admins, and if it doesn't work, canx it!  As for populating it - there aren't enough servers running EF & SF (IMHO - keep yer flames to yer self!).  Again - try some new things: Monday night is EF night, Wednesday is SF night, Friday is AF, the other nights are "Random Map" nights.
I think that isnt good....much people only have Battlefield 2 and no EF, SF or AF.....

If that settings done...the server going down, down, down....

The idea with Admin who are Hard but Fair is good...i like servers where always Admins Online and do there job very well....thats a reason to come back!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

The problem with the US server, is that it doesn't really have it's own community. This is what the EU server has, and so all the regulars, get together as often as possible, around a certain time and play together, and also get together on a TS channel. If you can get this sort of thing going with the US server, you would have a good reason to keep it, but I agree, at the moment, theres not much point.

To put it simply, you just need a large collection of really awesome, attractive, intelligent etc etc people, much like the EU guys, that want to play regularily, and all is good.
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6716|The Netherlands
I agree, either get rid of it cause its always empty or set up an u.s. community of guys who get it started every night.

Like hellhead mentioned, patience seem to be a big part of the problem. Not a lot of guys want to wait for 1 or 2, sometimes even 3 hours to get the game started. The majority seems to think its a waist of time to play on servers where the game hasn't started yet and they decide to play somewhere else. They want points and they want them now otherwise they wont get promoted in x hours! I m sure this is one of the downsides of a ranking/global points system.

I think you need someone to take charge of 'operation get the us server started everyday' and motivate other people to play on it and get the server started. Maybe a mod from the states who can spare a bit of his/her time. Select 3 to 5 nice mature guys from the forum who like to play by the rules and got some spare time on their hands. Give em some rights to the server and ask them to start the us server every day. Btw if you get 5 guys to join at the same time, thats probably enough to get the game started pretty quick, it should take maybe 30/45 minutes.

Like the other guys said, get a good map cycle with karkand as the starting map. The flags of mec and usmc on karkand are very close together and even if there's very few people on it, they ll still have a big chance to run into something to shoot at. Sharqi, mashtuur, wake, oman etc are not as good to get the game started or to keep people interested. Maybe to start off just a city map cycle at first to get as much guys on it on a regular basis and add a couple of air maps to it later.

Last edited by General-Echo (2006-07-19 10:07:24)

GUNNYCWT
+3|6488|Jacksonville NC
City Maps and Good Admins.
Nabraham
EWWW!!! Thats Nasty!!!
+18|6680|Enon

dankassasin42o wrote:

Nabraham wrote:

Special Forces map may help, and im not talking about 24/7 warlord. The night maps, hell even maybe doing Euro Forces or Armored Fury. Or you could always go the 24/7 Karkand way with like 50 rounds per map.
HELL NO, NO 24/7 KARK.      That'll keep my whole clan away.

Real BF2 players dont play 24/7 Kark.   THere ARE WAY better maps.     Chuy, if u make it kark 24/7. ill have to do u the favor of using my information security/network security skills  to put an end to it. SAY NO TO KARKAND.   On the other hand maybe 24/7 FLYING maps, or 24/7 SF.    Thatd be a million times better then crapkand
Ah, real players do play 24/7 karkand, thats why their so popular. Not saying that everyone likes it, i thing 24/7 karkand would get old, but its a decent idea if Chuy wants to fill up the Server and keep it popular.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6747|Chicago.
I say you keep a steady map rotation, with a strong variety avaliable. Karkand, Mashtuur, Zatar, and definatley Wake. Also, Dragon Valley and Fu She Pass. I also like the idea of throwing in SF maps too.

And...

I volunteer to head a team of players to start the US server's activity nightly. What do you think Chuy?

Last edited by BigmacK192 (2006-07-19 14:00:06)

theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6746
Yes listen to HellHead and Echo as these guys and the rest of the EU regulars have been using this formula for a while now and it seems to be a massive success. We have even had some more Americans join in as they can obviously see we are having loads of fun and want to be part of it.

I think maybe change the map cycle to the same as the EU server, try and get a TS channel for it.

I am willing to spend some time over the next few weeks to try and fill it to maybe generate some interest in it. If any of the other EU admins or regulars are maybe interested in joining me to keep me company, and then hopefully some more of the American BF2s members will join with the [BF2s] tag.

However if we do try to fill the US server it would be nice for people to make the effort to join us.

Then create a few US BF2s Server threads like our EU threads. Some general chatter ones, some leaderboards, regular sections, funny stuff.

edit: also if you need some admins while you choose some US admins, our EU admins are always here to give some usefull tips and help.

Last edited by theDude5B (2006-07-19 14:21:55)

JediNite
+3|6674
Hi all,

As a lot of other Aussies have said in this forum, I'd also love to see an Aussie server brought on-line...  I am trying to see if I can regularly get together with some guys from work and some other friends (about 6 or 7 of us), so we would all definitely use an Aussie BF2S Server

Cheers,

JediNite
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6781|Anaheim, CA

I agree with most everyone, have it be a karkand only or city maps only server.

Also you may want to wait until the next patch comes out which will reduce the # of people needed to start it up.  Once started a lot of people will probably get in.

One more thing, I agree that 64 player servers aren't my fav, maybe drop it to a 32.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6788|Jupiter
Im there, hope i can help.
Reizors
Ninja's > BF2s
+42|6519|Australia

JediNite wrote:

Hi all,

As a lot of other Aussies have said in this forum, I'd also love to see an Aussie server brought on-line...  I am trying to see if I can regularly get together with some guys from work and some other friends (about 6 or 7 of us), so we would all definitely use an Aussie BF2S Server

Cheers,

JediNite
Yeah, I will be there, and all of my clan is interested, there is a fair few of us who always play a certain server, we can change preference to the BF2S Aus server!
Phrozenbot
+632|6611|do not disturb

If it were Euro Forces, I'd play it all day.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6668|Colorado
I'd say save it for 2142 or make it sf ftw!
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6650|Westminster, Colorado
We need 2 more peeps to jump on the server to get it started!  Come now!

Thanks.
cablecopulate
+449|6734|Massachusetts.
Yeah I just saw that there's 8 people there, but I can't play right now because someone is downloading and it fucks my ping up. I will try and be on asap.
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6534|Internetfitlerland

Reizors wrote:

JediNite wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

JediNite
Yeah, I will be there, and all of my clan is interested, there is a fair few of us who always play a certain server, we can change preference to the BF2S Aus server!
Me to.  Was on the US server one this arvo and we got it started after 1.5 hours of tk'ing with Jestar and others, and once it got going, it was ausome.

AU BF2S.com Ranked Server FTW!
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6839|Bryan/College Station, TX
Would it help if in the notes section for each server that you see when you join had advertisments for the other BF2S.com servers? i.e. advertise the AUS, USA, EURO servers on each other's servers. Might help?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Your US server sucks, but the Europeans can't get enough of chuy. Must be the hidden moustache. I guarantee an Australian server would be populated though *hint* cough *hint*.
Yeah, we'll, like, sacrifice a viring kangaroo in you honor.  Or even.......beer........maybe.  Giving up beer is a big ask for us though.  We'd have to see.
HW--CHOPPER
+22|6675

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Your US server sucks, but the Europeans can't get enough of chuy. Must be the hidden moustache. I guarantee an Australian server would be populated though *hint* cough *hint*.
2nd that I'm sick of the noobs at internode and gamearena
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6534|Internetfitlerland

Bloody pizza hut meal deals ruining my game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard