PRiMACORD
+190|6627|Home of the Escalade Herds

Gen. Payne wrote:

I thought you liked AA!

Whenever I'd play against you in Midnight Sun, you always be beating me down with the linebacker.

Bastard....
lol was that you?

That was one of the few times i spent in AA, i got my veteran and expert air defense in the same match and got promoted to Major.

Irony at it's best
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6771|Human Meat Shield
Don't really like AF but for Harvest. Once the map changes Im searching for another Harvest. Road Rage is growing on me a little, but it has to have more than 50 people to be interesting because all the pilots do is fly in a straight line.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6681|Broadlands, VA
I have to ask this:

When I first started playing in December 2005 there were over 4,000 servers available.  Last night, when I logged in there were less than 400.  The number of SF maps was like 5. 

Does anyone else see this?
Aardcore
+60|6715|USA, Arizona
No one probably likes AF that much because the game play is actually slower than what they might expect from in like... Karkand or something. Unless you're some crazy littlebird pilot who knows how to fly around some of the flags and kill a shitload of guys (as I've witnessed, god... someone nailing over 150 points in a single round just terrorizing ONE flag that I happen to keep spawning at, pissed off that I might actually take him down), then your expectations aren't going to be that great.

You'll be lucky enough to get over 100 points and like I said, it feels slower what with the maps being more spaced out with such large amounts of terrain sort of like Zatar Wetlands, Dragon Valley or FuShe Pass.
docnutz
+39|6761|B O S T ON area
I think they are empty b/c its tough to mak eprogress towards medals and stats i think.

For example i am tryin to get expert first aid and expert repair,   and we all know they are impossible on those maps, i am havin a time even in WARLORD!!!!!!!

Last edited by docnutz (2006-07-14 08:14:02)

FathomsDown
+19|6653|England
The maps in AF and EF are quite spaced out meaning that play is slower and as there aren't that many of them (three per pack) they get boring quite quickly. If you look at the popular maps, (Karm, Sharqui, Warlord, etc) they are all fast paced maps where the objectives are placed close together and which people can enjoy without having to learn to use armour or aircraft.
-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6538|Carlsbad, CA, USA

PRiMACORD wrote:

I hate road rage, the AA is pretty dumb on it when you're in a chopper trying to transport troops. You basically can't go near one at all, perod. The map itself provides very little cover as well. The 32 player version with 1 jet and 2 recons is even more dumb since there is even more AA. There is an AA tank at every flag besides the center one iirc. It's just plain stupid.

Midnight Sun is awesome tho, i love that map, decent amount of cover from AA and just a generally nice design.
you don't like it cause you get owned in your helicopter by the AA, it is more balanced, you can't own people like you normally do. whine, whine, bitch, and moan, ha!
PRiMACORD
+190|6627|Home of the Escalade Herds

-=CB=-krazykarl wrote:

PRiMACORD wrote:

I hate road rage, the AA is pretty dumb on it when you're in a chopper trying to transport troops. You basically can't go near one at all, perod. The map itself provides very little cover as well. The 32 player version with 1 jet and 2 recons is even more dumb since there is even more AA. There is an AA tank at every flag besides the center one iirc. It's just plain stupid.

Midnight Sun is awesome tho, i love that map, decent amount of cover from AA and just a generally nice design.
you don't like it cause you get owned in your helicopter by the AA, it is more balanced, you can't own people like you normally do. whine, whine, bitch, and moan, ha!
Says the guy with a 0.84 k/d ratio, lol, all that anger from getting owned to shit 24/7?
goblinstomper
I ♣ Seals
+8|6567|Hampshire
I enjoyed AF alot more than EF but, most servers dont play full rotation with those included... which is why they didnt take off.
I love operation roadrage... it kicks ass.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6599|Seattle

I thought this thread was about weed. What a bummer
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6698|Germany
It's not AF what keeps me from playing it,it's those friggin' CTDs that "force" me to play Wake Island 24/7,it's pretty stable once I'm on the server.

Fix the damn connection and ctd problems and I'm back on every map!
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6722
I wish they did better integration of expansions. They should make it so AF / EF / SF servers all ran the normal map cycle as well as the new maps, so that you could use the new content without missing out on the old content. It'd also be great to have one server that could run AF, EF, SF and Vanilla maps but that'd piss off people who don't have all the add-ons. Argh DICE, I would have preferred one large addon that was better integrated and cost more.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6568|England

Some people here say its down to slaw gameplay...well, on a 64man server thats full up on any of the 3maps, its good, fast and action packed gameplay. Just because people cant run around as a medic and earn a gold medal without ever firing a shot is more likely why people dont like it. Or cant grenade spam and get a shitload of kills. It takes skill to play well on the maps.
Ive had BRS on the maps of 74, 69 and 61 in either AA or armour on all 3 of those maps, with all of those scores earned on servers that had at least 50 people in them the entire time. I couldnt care less about earning a 100BRS on them - if I do, great! If not, who cares?

I also agree with he_who_says_zonk - if they integrated both expansion packs with the game more, then yeah, the maps would probably be played a lot more. Especially Great Wall, which everybody seems to like from reading topics - but how many servers do you find with more than 3 people on it? Its a god damn shame.

I guess its just because none of the maps are Karkand, and so AF will just turn out like EF unfortunatly has - yet another great pack wasted because people cant nade spam/revive whore/claymore spam the whole round - they will have to do something that takes a bit more skill.
ARGH, I hate karkand! Down with karkand for ruining a great game and taking people away from the great maps. ARGH.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6532|Boston, MA
I personally love Operation Harvest, but only when there's at least 30 people on the map. It seems more like a real war with all these tanks driving around. Next is Midnight Sun and I actually dislike Operation Road Rage the most out of all of them. I don't see how so many people can love that map.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

Snake, not to bust on you, but being in AA isn't too hard I do agree though, it takes good skill to outmatch other tankers. If maybe the system rewarded killing another tank in a tank 3 or 4 points, then armor oriented maps might deliver more points since that seems to be what everyone is after. If the maps don't deliver, they don't play.

I like to solo on the attack choppers. Operation Harvest is simply amazing for that, next to Operation Smoke Screen.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6568|England

AA pwns hellogoodsir

Yeah, maybe if destroying a tank gives you 2 points per kill (so if you kill the driver and gunner when the tank blows up...you'd get 4 points, 2 per person) - then I think it would entice people to play it for those additional points.
Maybe the same for helis and even jets? (if they are killed by ground units that is)
With what me n my mates do with a 3man AT team, bring on the points baby
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6533
I love armored fury. The only thing that pisses me off in Armored fury is the AA and the no-effect flares on the Su-39 which i fly most often. The flares dont seem to have any effect at all. You drop em and they dont even brake a lock on your plane and all the linebackers are just spamming missiles at you from 20 different directions and there is almost zero chance to evade the missiles.
Sheep of War
+40|6645

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

It's the AA. Nobody wants to change their entire flying style just for a booster pack. Lessen the amount of AA, make the flares reload faster, i don't know. If you weren't being painted the entire time you were in the air it would be a lot better.
Thats exactly what makes AF so great. Actually having a chance against the jets on theese maps. Standard BF2 should have the jets set up exactly the same as AF to keep the rapage down.

The choppers deserve it as well. Theres alot of maps out there that they just keep strafing around a flag getting free kills. The little birds can be quite hard to shoot down with AA at times.

Last edited by 908741059871059781 (2006-07-15 20:50:19)

The_Growler
+1|6594|Hendersonville, TN
I delayed purchase because although I like BF2 Special Forces I do not like that I have to leave BF2 to go to a BF2 SF server.  I found EuroForces a bit boring(I  admittedly did not give it much of a chance). 

All that made me think twice about putting out more money on another possibly wasteful expansion.   

With all that I went ahead and purchased AF yesterday morning.  I was very pleasantly surprised.

Maybe there are more people  like me waiting to hear if AF is any good.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard