VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6728|Antarctica
I've noticed that many people are hesitant to download or try mods, resulting in a lack of mod players.  Hence the reason I'm writing this FAQ (btw, if we finally get a 'mods section' as requested in this thread, this could be a helpful pinned topic)

Frequently Asked Questions about mods:

1.  What is a mod?

Mod is short for Modification, basically it is a fan made booster/expansion pack that adds new content to your game.  The best part is, they are totally FREE! (good luck getting anything free from DICE/EA)

2.  Sounds cool, what do they change?

This all depends on the mod you download.  Some are 'total conversions', meaning they start from scratch and basically make a new game using the BF2 engine.  Good examples of total conversion mods are www.Pointofexistence.com and Forgotten hope.  Others, like www.Desert-conflict.org are semi-conversions, meaning they include some items from vanilla BF2, but still include much new content.  Finally, there are 'mini mods' like Project Reality that include little to no new content but tweak existing things to drastically change game play.  There are dozens if of mods out there to suite everyones taste, ranging from Ninjas to 1918 battlefields to Star Wars.

3.  Where do I download these???

Either BF2s files section, similar sites, (TotalBF2, FeverGaming, etc.) or the mod's respective website.  Get downloading!

4.  What about installing mods, will they mess my vanilla BF2 up?

Most mods come with an installer that you download, run the installer and it will create the mod folder for you.  Mods do not interfere with vanilla BF2 at all, they are run by another .exe just like Special Forces.  If you browse to your BF2 folder, default path is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods, take a look at the folder names, You should see a folder called 'bf2' and if you have Special Forces you will see 'xpack'.  Thats right, vanilla BF2 is run just like a mod, it even has its own mod folder!

5.  Why should I install mods instead of playing vanilla BF2?

If you have ever complained about the bugs, glitches, imbalances, and poor gameplay, and countless other problems in BF2, you have answered your own question.

If anyone has more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by VeNg3nCe^ (2006-09-30 19:38:58)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6812|Singapore

GJ!

One question I have: If you have a server running a mod, and you want people to see where to DL the mod, is there a way to post up a link INGAME aside from putting up the webbie name in the server name? Ok I know this sounds a little weird. Heh.

Hope you get it!.

Umm. +1 for you?
VeNg3nCe^
+314|6728|Antarctica

polarbearz wrote:

GJ!

One question I have: If you have a server running a mod, and you want people to see where to DL the mod, is there a way to post up a link INGAME aside from putting up the webbie name in the server name? Ok I know this sounds a little weird. Heh.

Hope you get it!.
There is no way to make a link ingame as far as I know, but you can put the site address on the server graphic/server name or something like that.  This would be a cool feature, I hope it gets implemented in a future game.

Umm. +1 for you?

Last edited by VeNg3nCe^ (2006-07-08 15:13:09)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6812|Singapore

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

polarbearz wrote:

GJ!

Hope you get it!.
There is no way to make a link ingame as far as I know, but you can put the site address on the server graphic/server name or something like that.  This would be a cool feature, I hope it gets implemented in a future game.
Yeah. but they can't even join the game as they don't have the mod, I don't think they can see the server graphic then?

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

Umm. +1 for you?
Bigger
gbr.hitman
Fair Play!
+21|6623|Warwickshire, England
I'm interested in DL a mod. Which is the most popular? Which one do you recommend?
iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6552|Belgium
I cant wait for some mods to be released

I need some breathing room from everything thats wrong with bf2
VeNg3nCe^
+314|6728|Antarctica

gbr.hitman wrote:

I'm interested in DL a mod. Which is the most popular? Which one do you recommend?
Operation Peacekeeper is great but it has very few people playing now.  U.S. Intervention had a decent fanbase last time I played it, so did Project Reality.  Right now is a bad time for modders, becase 1.  1.4 patch is about to come out and  2.  Armored Fury was released not long ago.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard