-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6772|Quebec city, Canada
hi everyone, I tried to search for an answer but I couldnt find so :

what are the features of the new recon choppers in AF ? (dont have it)

To me they are only transport choppers but with little guns... but everyone seems to like them, including the famous Little Bird. Someone said they had a UAV ? and that you can spot ennemies easier ?

ty for the answers
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6893|The United Center
It's basically a miniaturized transport chopper with a built-in UAV.  You constantly have a small UAV scanning the immediate area so that you know where people are.  They have very little armor, are insanely maneuverable, and have no way of taking out armor or mobile AA.  However, against attack helicopters, transport vehicles, mounted AA, ground infantry, and even planes, they're incredible.  They're easily my favorite vehicle in the game.
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6940|Idaho, USA / Age 30
Yes they do.  The Little birds have a consistent radar going.  It is like flying a UAV with miniguns that can hover in one place.    They are fun Helo's.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
omg I want AF

Ive always dreamed of a built-in UAV with the Apache Longbow (there isnt a cheesewheel radar on top of it for nothing)

so if I understood right, the little bird is completely badass ?
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6940|Idaho, USA / Age 30
You got it.  The Little bird will take out guys like no other if you can fly it properly.
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6845|U.S

ThomasMorgan wrote:

It's basically a miniaturized transport chopper with a built-in UAV.  You constantly have a small UAV scanning the immediate area so that you know where people are.  They have very little armor, are insanely maneuverable, and have no way of taking out armor or mobile AA.  However, against attack helicopters, transport vehicles, mounted AA, ground infantry, and even planes, they're incredible.  They're easily my favorite vehicle in the game.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
Ok, well, here's an example...

Before AF I think I had around 30 hours total in helicopters and most of that was in transports to fly my lazy ass from one side of the map to the other.  Now I have over 60.  Not all of that is flying in Little Birds, but flying those thigns made me love helicopters.  It also tought me how to be a much better chopper pilot.  Now I go for the helos all the time.

Also, I've had over 10 rounds in AF where I had at least 40 kills and 0 deaths while flying the Little Bird.  It just gives you an idea as to how amazing that thing really is.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6799
They sure as hell sound fun, but they're no match for a skilled attack chopper team/solo-er or a jet
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

SargeV1.4 wrote:

They sure as hell sound fun, but they're no match for a skilled attack chopper team/solo-er or a jet
They really are though.  They're small, so they're hard to TV, even the Mi-28's cannon doesn't do that much damage to it, and don't forget, the jets in AF don't have AA missiles and they're not very maneuverable, so once you start taking damage in the Little Bird, just move out of the way and you'll be fine.
Crawdaddy79
+27|6683

SargeV1.4 wrote:

https://www.crawspace.com/web3/orly2.jpg
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6799

ThomasMorgan wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

They really are though.  They're small, so they're hard to TV, even the Mi-28's cannon doesn't do that much damage to it, and don't forget, the jets in AF don't have AA missiles and they're not very maneuverable, so once you start taking damage in the Little Bird, just move out of the way and you'll be fine.
Discussion time

I did say skilled.. which is my point, just stay 300 meters away.. what's that littlebird going to do to you? Hide, and slam a missle into their backside. And for jets, well, using missles to take down choppers is pretty much the worst you can do bar flying into them. Once you learn how to predict movement with the guns you can take down regular attack choppers in one swoop, so a littlebird won't be much trouble either. Most jet pilots don't aim right and/or come at you in missle mode so you're well aware that he's coming and that you're being damaged. But if they get their aim right, a volley of bullets can take down a chopper before they can even turn. (Hover an F-35 in front of a chopper, and see (Disclaimer: Don't attempt online))

Ah, screw discussion, CrawDaddy's got the right stuff!
PRiMACORD
+190|6771|Home of the Escalade Herds
It's pretty easy to screw over even good tv users, especially if he's solo.

Fly low, get right under them and track them on your UAV. It takes about 4 seconds of sustained littlebird fire at an attack helos cockpit  to put it down.

It's best to keep a distance once you get firing otherwise you can be wiped out easily by rockets. Never stop strafing, ever.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
sarge1.4 says that a skilled pilot can take down the little bird.. yes but if the 2 pilots have the same skills, which one will get the advantage ?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

-=raska=- wrote:

sarge1.4 says that a skilled pilot can take down the little bird.. yes but if the 2 pilots have the same skills, which one will get the advantage ?
The guy in the mobile AA.  Try as you might, it's just not possible to take out in a Little Bird. 
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
i was talking about attack chopper against little bird
PRiMACORD

ThomasMorgan wrote:

-=raska=- wrote:

The guy in the mobile AA.  Try as you might, it's just not possible to take out in a Little Bird. 
Yep, really sucks on road rage, not many places to hide

Midnight Sun is wicked fun tho since most of the time there is terrain to hide behind.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

-=raska=- wrote:

i was talking about attack chopper against little bird
I know.  It was sarcasm.

Also, I much prefer Harvest to Midnight Sun for LB flying.  Everytime you duck behind a tree the AA breaks lock, plus infantry just seems to swarm around certain CPs on that map.  It's like shooting dead fish in a barrel with no water in it.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6799
BF2 has gone stale for me, the only thing that keeps me entertained thesedays are clan matches and seeing my clan in third place in the ClanBase conquest league. Those littlebirds sound like fun so I'll probably get AF after I've been on holiday next week.

One question, can you do the vertical barrel roll in them? I don't know if you've ever done it before, it's basically getting your chopper into an insanely fast barrel roll while pointing downwards.. works great for using the MG when you're solo piloting.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

SargeV1.4 wrote:

BF2 has gone stale for me, the only thing that keeps me entertained thesedays are clan matches and seeing my clan in third place in the ClanBase conquest league. Those littlebirds sound like fun so I'll probably get AF after I've been on holiday next week.

One question, can you do the vertical barrel roll in them? I don't know if you've ever done it before, it's basically getting your chopper into an insanely fast barrel roll while pointing downwards.. works great for using the MG when you're solo piloting.
Not really.  The other choppers have more mass and therefore more momentum, so you sort of continue travelling in the same direction...this one you just lose altitude and you have to pull up though.  Don't worry though...practice a bit with it and you'll see how amazing it is.  In my opinion it is the best vehicle in the game, bar none.
SGT_Squirtle
+13|6862
They are fun, I don't usually fly but I've have a few kills with the little bird and it's MEC counterpart... but the most fun I have with them is taking them out with tank rounds... 1 hit dead.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6847
One of the reasons the littlebirds are so tough is their hitboxes are buggy, just like every other hitbox in the game. Add the fact that their hitbox is pretty small to begin with and you'll find that 7/8 rockets will do no damage, unless the LB is sitting still.
PRiMACORD

Skruples wrote:

One of the reasons the littlebirds are so tough is their hitboxes are buggy, just like every other hitbox in the game. Add the fact that their hitbox is pretty small to begin with and you'll find that 7/8 rockets will do no damage, unless the LB is sitting still.
Aye. It also seems it's gun packs a lot more punch then the MEC/PLA ones.

Littlebird vs the MEC recon = SLAUGHTER.
Defiance
+438|6817

Crawdaddy79 wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

http://www.crawspace.com/web3/orly2.jpg
Winner.
Gen. Payne
+50|6853|USA
They're manueverable? When did this happen?

I say they fly like a moose.
MrE`158
+103|6769
A moose?

What Littlebird have you been flying?

Come to think of it, what moose have you been flying?

All the scout choppers are more maneuverable than any of the bigger choppers.  I don't think they're quite as fast as the attack helo's, but you can throw them around the sky like they're magic carpets once you've got some practice.

This is really what makes the scouts so lethal.  Once you've encountered an enemy, you can keep precise track of him with your own in-built radar scan, and they're able to hop around or over obstacles to chase down infantry and light vehicles, and can run rings around other helos.

Yes, a skilled attack helo team will probably be able to kill a scout before it gets into close enough range, but if the scout gets the drop on the AH and can get in behind it, it can probably stay there and those twin miniguns will rip the bigger helo to pieces in short order.

But, as has been pointed out, while you're having all this fun, watch out for the mobile AA that's all over the AF maps.  You can't kill it, and it'll turn your helo into a collander before you know what's going on.  Mind you, the .50cal on the top of a tank will do much the same, so keep your eyes open, and have fun!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard